Best protection anti-piracy?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ricardonuno1980, Oct 26, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes starforce.. Or that by latest POP Forgotten Sands - TAG.

2. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 GAMING OC
    Well if you are asking what is the best protection for pc gamers without games installing some of the older DRM methods on our pc.It would be just an online activation and preferably just Steam that let's you play in pure offline mode, without having to log in to your account all the time..I really wish Origin used the same method of offline mode like Steam...

3. XBEAST

XBEAST Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770 Gaming
    ActiveMARK ;).

4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Guild wars2

5. Crowbar

Crowbar Guest

GPU:
    MSi R9 290 GAMING
    Well, I suppose the most sure way for a game developer to protect its game from piracy would be to:

1. Do full cavity search for every employee everyday of the development, to make sure none of the game data is being stolen.
    2. Once the game is finished, put the only copy of it on a HDD and throw it in a pool molten metal Terminator 2 style.
    3. Retire and write a memoir about cavity search and all the wacky stuff, that was found in peoples anuses.
    4. Die of gummy bear overdose.

So, what do I "win"?

And don't say a cavity search, because then I'll have to slap you on the side of your head with a phone book...

6. flimbo

flimbo Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    This...

[​IMG]

7. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    End of "game"!

Solution:
    -Protection by Nadeo
    -Trackmania 2 (Canyon, Stadium and Valley) and Shootmania Storm

-Tj-: Good but it's old protection and not PoP. Look bottom... ;)

StarForce would be best protection (eg: GT Legends) but not "current". This old protection had discontinued because most PC's had issues. :)

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    oh god I remember that.... now feeling old :(

9. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Multiplayer based games, MMOs/ MOBAS / etc
    Note: Not pseudo online crap, like every single player game out there with multiplayer crap added

And for single player games, having a closed system (ps3 kinda like) or ...

If the above options are not available... MAKING A GOOD GAME, crazy right? but it works. alot ppl will buy it for sure.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Only thing that really works.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    That doesn't really deal with piracy (converting consumers who will pirate if the option presents itself) but rather just ignores it and focuses on the potential user base that will pay.

So that "tactic" is not really anti piracy because it doesn't interact with piracy at all.

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Considering what makes something good to one person, doesn't make it good to another.
    Quality and joy from playing a game are completely subjective.

But, people pirate good games all the time.
    Rocksteady put in gameplay flaws in Batman: Arkham Asylum that made the game unplayable for pirated versions at first.

But, on topic, I'd say Croteam did a great job with their "protection" in Serious Sam 3: BFE.
    Unkillable ultra fast Scorpion in first level... check. Remove control from player and force camera straight at the ground and spin in circle in third level... check.

13. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Well, its simple as this, if theres a chance to pirate a game IT WILL BE CRACKED.

If its a good game IT WILL BE BOUGHT (sooner or later, rarely never) and kept by the user and, more importantly he will spread the word.
    If it isnt good OR he doesnt like it, HE WILL resell it or delete the pirate copy, therefore no profit for the developers.
    But the worse part, if hes unable to resell it or/and its a crappy game he will trash that company and/or the game everywhere he goes/posts and the sales will take a huge hit.

Dont take lightly instant communication nowdays.

Sure, not everyone will buy a good game and will keep the pirate copy, but the game developers dont care as long theres a big user base that will pay for it.
    Crappy protection tactics will hurt more the users who pay for the games than the pirates themselves, pirated copys usually are ripped clean of those annoyances.

The scorpion tactic is pretty funny tough ^^

14. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    Just do what Crapcom does: develops crap games with 50 crap DLCs and no one will care to crack them (or buy them either, lol).

15. DiEgO

DiEgO Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr II
    I think that the Arma series with the Fade system has not been cracked properly.

16. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    @suture erm, who buys used PC games these days? :p

And it's not like me and Damien were arguing for crappy games with annoying DRMs, you are preaching to the choir about making a good game. It's just that it doesn't really affect piracy.

For now and hopefully for a while, that tactic (just brute forcing through piracy by relying on market segment that won't use piracy the moment it's available) can probably work but I have my worries that it's not as permanent of solution as some people think they are... look to Russia/Korea as an example where piracy just rapes local PC market, where only F2P (where game makers offer games as part of service rather than standalone product, making them impossible to pirate) can function...

17. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Well true, the part i said about reselling games was more oriented to consoles anyways, the PC faction is more steam and origin stores kind of stuff, players cannot resell those (at least for now).

f2p games are usually a good solution nowdays, freemium and other similar services are a growing trend.
    League of legends is the perfect working example of that system.
    Offers premium services but those services dont cripple the hardcore players.
    And its a multiplayer oriented game, therefore players need to log in to a server etc etc therefore these two aspects in a game make piracy unnecessary, still.. it needs to be a good game or it wont make decent revenue ofc.

Thing is, single player games / story driven games cant have this perfect solution, well diablo 3 got away with it, but not without criticism.
    They forced players to login to a server even in single player mode, BUT they had a multiplayer component in the game to support their methods.

Not every single player / story driven game developer can afford blizzard methods, and having only a multiplayer component is not enough to stop piracy.

And, to avoid that, those game developers usually end up in closed systems like consoles.
    But even them have problems with piracy, and now with xbox1 and ps4 having a simpler "pc like" architecture, my guess, it will be alot worse.

18. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    ATTENTION!!! Must read my post #27!

19. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

I did, but then I scroll down to your "Must read" post which sends me back to the original post, and now I'm in an endless reading cycle - and i don't even know how to read!

ATTENTION:HELP!!!!

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    D3 always online. Never been cracked. Never will be