XFX 7970 overclocking, testing, opinions

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by primetime^, Oct 25, 2013.

1. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Truth be told I'm happy with the card as is...games are running great, and it looks to be a keeper, even without being overclocked. I could't help but slide the clock over to 1ghz just for sake of it, and i haven't noticed any problems, aside from once or twice i noticed a screen flicker...but haven't seen it since.
    Card should be nice and cool as seen here.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Any others using this card, or anyone just wanting to share knowledge please do.

Ok now the questions:

1. How likely was the screen flickers a result of overclocking?
    2. Anyone else notice that to high of clock speed and 3dmark13 seems to do fine all the way through, but hangs without giving a score in the end? I thought surly I would see artifacting or something while testing or playing...nope just hangs at the end and i have to close it without a score.
    3. the power limiter seems to be misunderstood by 99% of people, or maybe it just me, but as i understand it if the clocks are not throttling while card is stressed then raising the powerlimit should have zero benefit
    4.just thought it strange that kombuster and furmark and bf3 had zero detectable issues with card overclock at 1050mhz but 3dmark hangs at the end lol
    5. its no biggie...but any known ways to increase voltage on my voltage locked card. I saw that bios mod tool but its of no help as of yet since voltage regulator is unknown.

anyone with general pointers feel free to chime in..thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The power limiter will have an effect once higher overclocks are attempted, 1000mhz is not much tbh....

Regarding flickering - are you using Afterburner's unofficial overclock mode? If you are then it should be disabled as this causes flickers.

Otherwise I have no idea sorry....

Btw 3DMark runs a physics test at the end which stresses both GPU and CPU together.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    1000mhz...yea i know its not much....but it was super cheap...i could return it but im ok with it...just wanted to get all i could...like on my cpu...cant complain as it plays game great anyway ( which is why I buy cards primarily)

i suspect the low headroom is due to overheating vrms, something xfx cheaped out on or something to that nature is the general talk

Im coming from sli nvidia 280's so you can imagine the difference even with lows clocks lol...bf3 is so fluid and beautiful now...for now i guess i just keep raising it 5mhz at a time to at least get all shes got....probably around 1050 area

at least form what your saying, the ficker could just be a softwar glitch rather than hardware failure...only saw it right after updating to newest beta...and i run 3 different cleaners in safemode before going to newer driver.

thanks for you input!!

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500

5. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    [​IMG][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

my primary concern with flashing different bios is possibly bricking due to mine being non reference...these scores are ok i guess

6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So you cannot go further than that?

Check out what VRM you have, take a picture of it if needed, name it in this topic http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189089 and hope that the creator will add support for that unknown regulator you have, ask for it, as well.

So you tried the tool out and you couldn't change voltages or clocks or anything? Or what.

+ does your card have dual bios?

7. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    i have to take it out to be sure...but i think it has no switch....but i will check
    i tried the tool and it wouldn't allow for voltage changing from stock since it was unrecognized...and that would be the primary reason to use it....usually safer to adjust all other settings with AB in case of problems

i will do as you say and pull it out...take it apart... and take pic's.....thanks for the feedback

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  8. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    guess i wont be taking the correct picture after all...2 void if removed stickers:bang:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

9. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    Love my new HD7970, I have the ASUS Direct CUII version and easily flashed the BIOS with the Matrix Platinum version which is now overclocked to 1175/6800.

I have also read someplaces that people have flashed them with the R280X BIOS from the corresponding newer model but I haven't been brave enough to do that yet.

10. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Look up the particular model and see if it specifically has the switch. Otherwise... you could try out some other XFX bios or.. you know, something better. If you have the switch (which all 7900s should have by default) then that can be tried but.. if not, then.. you'll just have to take the risk and flash anyways. Before you flash it is also recommended to remove drivers first.

The worst that can happen, is:

1. Bad flash, doesn't boot up to Windows but still a picture comes up, which means you can flash back to the old one or try another one.
    2. Even worse flash whereby there is no picture. In this case you would need to have a 2nd card to fix the bios on the bricked card. But usually.. it's the former that happens.

Most of those bioses should work anyways, there shouldn't be any "big" hassle with it. Now does your card have boost? That's a quite important question because some of those cards have boost on em, some of those bioses. And they might not work. The ideal would be that you find some bios with a higher default voltage that works so you could crank up those clocks. +a higher power limit.

I wish you good luck! :)

List of XFX 7970 bioses: http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/...FX&model=HD+7970&interface=&memType=&memSize=

How to flash: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4503953&postcount=6

An example of a XFX 7870s VRM, circled with red, on the frontside. I take it your VRM should also be on the front then:
    [​IMG]
    Taken from TPU from the VBE7 bios editor topic (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189089&page=14)

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

11. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    If i had to do it over again...I would have got the asus card....but this card is handling bf4 just fine...poor nvidia 2gb card owners lol:wanker:

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Prime, your card does not seem to have dual bios switch. Before any flash be sure you have possibility to boot with other gpu/igp to reflash original if needed.
    Therefore don't forget to backup what you have now.

13. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    This is the main reason I lumped to for for the 3GB 7970 over the 2GB GTX770

14. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Thanks for the info and world of caution!:) like you and others have mentioned it be nice if others with exact same card could share success/failure stores as to weather there's anything to be gained before risking bricking the card...having to much fun with a perfect gaming pc for now...i got a hexa core xeon cpu and 7970 gpu (total under 300) upgrade for my 5 year old pc...and couldn't be happier for a low cost upgrade...and perfectly stable to boot

lol maybe in another couple years it be time to build form scratch

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Thats just a sick price for both man. Wish I could grab a hexa for cheap.

16. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013