Google accidentally leaks the Nexus 5 ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by deltatux, Oct 18, 2013.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
  2. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "accidentally", haha. The leaks from Google aren't very convincing.

3. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Nice, I've been waiting on "confirmation" of the pricing to decide if I just renew my plan (keep sim & current GNex) or upgrade to a new phone.

@ $349 / $399 / god knows what it'll be in AUD.... I'll probably grab one and stick with the cheaper plan

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Is this better than the s4 I am carrying right now?

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Looks nice

6. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Very nice but i'll stick with my nexus 4 for now, really looking forward to 4.4 though. Looks pretty o_o

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Likely similar since it also runs a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 at 2.3 GHz. It'll be more of a sidegrade honestly.

Same here, I'm keeping my Nexus 4, the improvements as far as I can tell can't justify getting a new device. Sure it'll have a better camera (Nexus never did have good cameras, the Nexus S had a decent one, the Galaxy Nexus had the worst camera out of the entire lineup and the Nexus 4 had a better camera, but could do better). As for Android 4.4, not a fan of transparent status bar/navigation bar, but we'll see how that will play out.

deltatux

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    s4 runs a snapdragon 600, not 800.

9. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I think Bigtime has Exynos version.

If this ever reaches Funland, I bet it is going to be extremely overpriced like N4 (16GB version is still ~450€).

Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  10. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Really? Oops, I was mistaken. Alright, so a slight upgrade :p

deltatux

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    This might be an awesome upgrade over my Gnex. I just hate the Gnex's terrible battery life. I might go for the 32GB version with the bigger battery, since rumors also say that the battery isn't replaceable anymore.

Despite my Gnex's battery life, I still feel this was the best device I've ever owned. I came from an HTC Desire and the leap in performance was huge. The performance is still very good. Can't wait for 4.4.

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Except the S4 I9506 , which actually runs the S800. Otherwise identical, AFAIK.

13. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    thank you

and this doenst have some fancy air gestures or voice wake up stuff or other finger scanner stuff? just a pure android?

14. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    They should "accidentally" release Kitkat ;)

15. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    That's correct, the battery is bolted in just like the Nexus 4, however so far people are saying the larger battery capacity doesn't seem to hold water so likely a false rumour.

Have you tried installing a custom kernel like Franco kernel? Custom kernels normally have better battery saving options than the stock kernel.

Nope, just pure stock Android. However, there's word that Moto X like features will be part of stock Android in Android 4.4 KitKat. Honestly, they should have called it Android 5.0 instead of 4.4 at this point...

Ya right? I'm just dying for that instead since I'm not going to upgrade from my Nexus 4, it's still a beast in its own right.

deltatux

16. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    Ill most likely pre-order the 32Gb version to replace my S3.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The specs look amazing except for the lack of expandable storage. Sorry Google, but 32 GB just isn't enough for me.

18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The big thing I can't wait for is KitKat, that's what the Nexus 5 will bring that I'm excited for!

19. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    Nah, I tend to keep things stock. I like the stock Android (hence getting a Nexus device). I'm using a car charger during my work and I can live with it. But it is well known that the Gnex's battery life sucks. Using the official extended battery (i like NFC, which many unofficial batteries lack). :)

But does the N5 have front (stereo) speakers according to earlier rumors or not?
    Wish there was a 64GB or 128GB version, but will never happen.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  20. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    How much storage do you actually need? I can barely fill 32 GB. I can just about fill 16 GB just right now...

You can simply keep everything stock and yet able to run a custom kernel, while at it you can also root your device.

Plus, disable NFC unless you're using it, it really drains the battery since it polls for NFC terminals on a constant basis.

No there will not be front speakers, you can see from the official render up top that there's no room for speaker grills up front. The only front speaker is the earpiece which is not slit like the Nexus 4 (wished they used this speaker grill from the Nexus 5 on the Nexus 4, it's a dirt magnet). This time the speaker grill is small and circular.

deltatux