Microsoft Windows 8.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by PantherX, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You can download it from Store.

2. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    [​IMG]

3. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    Anyone not able to upgrade? I am east coast USA and when I click the store or the link on Microsoft's site, the store pops up with no upgrade icon. I just see the typical Facebook, Netflix, ETC. I called Microsoft and after screwing around on the phone for 30 minutes, this Indian dude determined that it is not released in my time zone. Now that I am reading this I see he was incorrect. I am not using a VPN or any kind of proxy and am on Windows 8 Pro x64(legit copy.) I really don't want to get jerked around on the phone again so if anyone knows how to fix this I am all ears. Also, before someone suggests I download the ISO and do a clean install, I have had the file since it went RTM. I just don't want to reinstall everything. Thanks in advance.

4. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 4080 FE
    Are you fully updated with Windows update stuff? Not sure if they had any pre-upgrade stuff on there last time. As for me I went to Store and saw that, clicked on it and it started downloading... slow as hell but it started.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Don't believe MS tech support. They're script parrots. Check Windows Update and make sure you're completely up to date. I updated my laptop at 7:05AM EST.

6. creightoncarr

creightoncarr Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 6800
    Yeah, I had this problem as well initially. As above, it turns out I did not have all of the "Important" updates installed. Once I installed all updates the Windows 8.1 option showed up in the Store.

7. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    There is always the option of downloading the RTM of 8.1 like I did from win8 (legit copy) and just using your key. I had an update today that was around 250mb that seemed to be the "release patch" or whatever lol. Everything working fine here.

8. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    For those who upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1, noticed any performance increase or decrease in games and general computing?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    My laptop is a bit more responsive.... It's a Celeron 1007U, so testing with games is out of the question...lol

Waiting for my HTPC to finish download the 8.1 update right now. Hoping to see the same results from it as my laptop as it's only an A4-5300.

10. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    Up and running on my Surface. I did run into a few issues where the install was failing with error 0x80070057. Disabling my antivirus took care of that and it installed fine after that.

11. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    Thanks for the info. (Same to others who suggested this) I think I have found the issue. There is one important update that I have "installed" (KB2802618) over and over, but it keeps coming back. When I update there is no status bar or anything suggesting it is doing anything, it just says installed instantaneously.

:bang:

I guess I will have to go the ISO route after all.

12. DeAnt28790

DeAnt28790 Member

GPU:
    Why do we have to install from the store? I want to be able to download a file. There are three people in my house who want 8.1 from 8 and we only have a 2mb/s line plus we're already on the verge of being throttled by our ISP. 3.8GB is fine. 11.4GB not so much.

13. kosh_neranek

kosh_neranek Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070@2101 Boost
    It makes me wonder, why does this update/service pack come in from the store and not from windows updates? And what about the size? Are they crazy? They haven't changed much and they want people to download 3.8GB?And it's not just this. Pretty much all updates so far were quite large compared to the size of updates of windows 7.

14. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Lol at the users of this

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Why? Do you have a reason to laugh at people using w8.1?

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Who knows .. maybe they want you to view their store? They may even view it as "purchasing a license for a new OS" so using the Store made sense to them :p Hey, it's Microsoft after all :D

Anyways, it's better to install it using an iso. Things are far less likely to mess up.

17. greeny187

greeny187 Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 560Ti
    The favourite START button from Windows 7 is still missing. Is there a way to bring it back?

18. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    Finally got it this morning. Updated without problem. Impossible to check for Windows Updates though, MS servers are probably still getting hammered. It just keeps searching.

19. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    You both don't have a reason to laugh at people who uses one or another version. The only major difference between these two versions is UI. And it happens so, that you both laugh at people who are happy with what they have/use.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I only loled at the haters. This is a w8.1 thread, people who have nothing to say should stay away. For me I see enough of a benefit for me to run 8.1. It works great for me. But some just prefer to flame for no reason.