290x performance chart leaks

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Ilya, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    The idea that AMD is a price/performance based company that sets out to help the consumer needs to end, even if their fanbase believes so, because they certainly aren't by choice. The discrepancy comes from lack of competition and most times AMD is behind Nvidia or at least up until the 5000 series. Hell GK110 was supposed to be our 680 so you could technically say they were behind with Southern Islands as well. It does help that Nvidia has a very loyal fanbase but people will buy performance ultimately if the difference is substantial enough. It's nothing against AMD but they're a business first and foremost and as such they stand to make a profit.

As for the graphs and heat/power consumption. Most likely that GPUZ temp reading is false.

I'm expecting the 290x performance to be where these leaks are but optimistically hoping for a lower price than 600$

2. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Not that platform exclusively. Where has been AMD's physX technology? We just need someone to use GPU physics more in games... using OpenCL or whatever.

One thing that might sway me toward AMD is their audio engine if it can approach Creative's CMSS headphone technology... As long as their video playback isn't broken (timings, black levels, hardware decoding, hardware interlacing, etc), I can live without physX.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hardware PhysX has been very poorly supported IMO and causes such erratic performance that I've got past the point of caring about it now. NVIDIA made the huge mistake of using CUDA and as such alienated a large chunk of the market who owned ATI/AMD graphics cards. That in turn led to only a handful of developers ever supporting it outside of NVIDIA sponsored titles and those usually end up running so badly on single GPU and even dual GPU setups that PhysX is usually best left turned off, e.g. Batman: Arkham City and Alice: Madness Returns.

Where PhysX works best IMO is in games like Metro where the effects are subtle and do not impair the framerate too much. Even then I get the sense that the effects could easily be done with software PhysX; I mean do we really need hardware PhysX to animate dozens of identical looking pieces of paper floating around in the Batman Arkham games? Or animated clothes (NBA 2K has done this for years on the CPU!)? Or flapping flags? Yes, the effects can look impressive, such as clouds of steam that react realistically when a character walks through it, but the illusion is broken as soon as I realise how stuttery the game now feels. At that point I usually turn it off or lower it and lose what made hardware PhysX worth using in the process.

It superfluous in my view and doesn't really add anything to a game. It's also clear at this point that it's never going to become an industry standard so I'd rather NVIDIA ditched it and focused on something more useful like supporting MSAA/CSAA in DirectX 11 games.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I expected the performance to be between 780 and titan, glad I wasn't wrong. If they manage to get this card up at a good price, it will sell like hotcackes.

5. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Overclocking will factor in as well. Hoping the 290x has some head room cause GK110 is clocked very conservatively. Though I suppose if the 290x is already in that are at stock performance we can't complain too much. I'm expecting it to take the higher res category we'll due to the bus width and bandwidth.

6. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Sorry for the shout earlier, just pees me off when people make outrages assumptions.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Tell me about it. I read a post by somebody that stated nobody cares about physx

8. broke

broke Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    everyone knows that the titan is overpriced even Nvidia and thay will drop down prices and still make a big profits we need to think about us the consumers this is good but not good enough because in less than 10 months Nvidia wil Introduce maxwell and pull that same crap again no matter which brand you like we want competition we absolutely need it

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    That's nonsense, physx is a nice feature to have but not if i have to pay for 100$ more than competition.

Last game i enjoyed physx is Borderlands 2, it was GPU torture though was my old GTX580 not runing so well.

10. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    Some of the comments are truly hilarious, people saying amd is inferior to nvidia, when they never owned an ati card..they improved the driver support big time and i don't know how some people can be such ignorant's, this card is as powerful as a titan and will cost less (that you can be sure of). Open your eyes, even the r280x is almost as fast as a gtx780 and is priced at half compared to the gtx780.

In my country the ASUS DirectCU II r280x is 325euros where the ASUS DirectCU II gtx780 is 690euros.
    You have to be a very stupid person to get a gtx780 over a r280x.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    call me stupid. :)

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So people with more money are stupid? Great logic

13. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    You are taking it way out of context. That is not what he meant.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    He's just jelly he can't afford a 780.

15. Ursopro

Ursopro Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 WindForce3
    Nice to see it smoke the titan.. But GFX cards are coming out to fast and don't have much improvements with new tech and new gaming graphics tech, its not even worth paying that much few months later it wont be the best. I'll just stick with my Gigabyte 7950 Windforce for quite a while maybe pick up another since I doubt anything amazing will come soon to new GFX cards.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    running B2 with physx is a painful experience on a single 580. you must of had to put physx on low

17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Definitely running my 670's at 1293/7200 and I still get dips in the low 50's from PhysX.

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I get them same dips, remember an awful experience with a single 580 with physx on that game. sli 580 ran it better but still low dips with physx on high

19. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I had more problems with my gf 560ti than with my 7870.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

And you would get those dips on 2xTitans too,

its the code that's crappy you can't fix that. If they used physx3 it would be like night and day.