Nvidia GeForce 331.40 Beta - Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyris, Sep 30, 2013.

1. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    Today did a test on Windows 7. Install Windows 8.1 RTM and look
    Windows 7
    Windows 8.1 RTM
    How can this be? Why such a big difference? The point in the drivers or Windows 8.1 crap?

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I don't know, but I've had the opposite experience. Windows 8.1 has been a better experience with games for me.

Could be because I'm on a 780 and drivers. It's possible.

Windows 7 might be a better match for your series of card.

It's questions like this that make owning a PC sorta interesting too.

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  4. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    So what's the result? :)
    ---
    For windows 8.1, I has no idea yet, and the answer will coming out when windows 8.1 pushed out and they(review website) start comparing the FPS between windows.

5. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    flawless on win7 64 like any other driver.

Last time I had driver issues with nvidia was when Risen 1 was released, which was in 2009.

new AO is a nice bonus.

6. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
  7. IMaysky

IMaysky Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 470
    Just decided to repeat the test but a minute later he was interrupted by an error "driver stopped responding" (video card and cpu - stock clock) Just great. Back to Windows 7=)

8. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Have you tried with Windows 8?
    8.1 has quite a few driver issues, a lot of companies don't bother to update before after release date.

9. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Theoretically, if inf-files contain different sections for different WDDM versions then installations under Win8 and Win8.1 will differ. Installation under Win8 can either ignore some files to copy/registry entries to create or copy different files/create different registry entries.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  10. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia FE 3070
    drivers with sli are also not maintaining full 3d speeds. Metro last light grinds down to 20fps with my cards. I can't even play the dlc which was released today :(

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    WDDM 1.3, according to DXDiag. I've installed the GA Rollup A hotfixes for Windows 8.1 x64 and I'm now going to reinstall the v331.40 beta driver to see if that resolves the resolution crashes I'm getting with games.

12. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    Thank for the information, it will be helpful when I upgrade from windows 8 to windows 8.1. :)

And I will check how's the registry value in the inf after I wake up, as the driver will support WDDM 1.3, but just like mbk1969 said, the registry can be difference between Windows NT.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I totally agree with this, and it would solve a lot of issues.

14. amplifie

amplifie Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 970 / Palit / 4GB
    I will not use Windows 8 or 8.1 in the Future, but i did some Benchmarks to see the FPS/Scoring difference myself. (For Specs look at my Profile)

Here´s what i got :

Fire Strike Extrem Windows 8.1 : Graphic Score - 3611 - Physik Score - 11829 - Graphicstest 1 - 20.08 - Graphicstest 2 - 13.70 - PhysikTest - 37.55

Fire Strike Extrem Windows 7 : Graphic Score - 3631 - Physik Score - 11246 - Graphicstest 1 - 20.07 - Graphicstest 2 - 14.20 - PhysikTest - 33.94

Metro LL Windows 8.1 :

Total Frames: 7912, Total Time: 171.0803 sec
    Average Framerate: 46.28
    Max. Framerate: 106.99 (Frame: 940)
    Min. Framerate: 18.06 (Frame: 1542)

Metro LL Windows 7 :

Total Frames: 7991, Total Time: 171.0995 sec
    Average Framerate: 46.74
    Max. Framerate: 96.80 (Frame: 918)
    Min. Framerate: 15.73 (Frame: 5681)

Is there really a difference ? I can´t see any improvements in Performance but also no big regression. However even if Battlefield 4 would run 50% faster on Win 8 i won´t use it. It´s because of a slightly choppy mouse (Desktop) and another strange thing is, the color Profile for my Display (BenQ XL2420T) is farily late loaded (~3 seconds) after loading everything else. Not a big deal, but it feels not right. My XFI-Titanium drivers are only working correctly with the newest Pax drivers, but if you want to save your custom settings, you have to put your PC to sleep mode, wake it up and reboot - this is whargh (even the XFI-Titanium is crap, i know). Sometimes the Refreshrate switches Back from 120Hz to 60Hz after closing Fullscreen Apps or Games. I don´t know what´s the Masterplan of Microsoft, but i really don´t think Windows 8 (or 8.1) is the right OS for Games.

If someone wants some other Benchmark comparisons feel free to ask, i will do some Benchmarks for you if i own the Game.

15. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    got a driver crash while browsing forum there, nothing happened but I got an alert the driver just crashed, my afterburner OC remained intact too.
    using win8.1 preview.

win8 physics score is good.

*chit I just got another driver crash and I haven't strayed from forum since last.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

16. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    This, I think the Min. Framerate show that the CPU performance has increase for high load, and windows 8 has increase many CPU bound games performance for me.:)

17. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im running an Overlord Tempest monitor which has an overclockable PCB to allow it to go to 120hz. ToastyX's patcher allows certain Nvidia/AMD drivers to be hacked to allow the driver to run 120hz successfully with no problems of stuttering or mouse freeze etc.

I was getting problems with many drivers after the 326.80 simply because i was using an older ToastyX patcher. By simply updating my patcher the new drivers after 326.80 simply work flawlessly whera's before i was getting freezing and stuttering while on the desktop hence a rollback to 326.80.

Here is the Patcher as well as everything else needed for 120hz on all Korean type IPS 120hz panels.

AMD
    http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher
    Nvidia
    http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-NVIDIA-Pixel-Clock-Patcher

I probably wont need another patcher update until around 10 more drivers down the line. ToastyX updates this on a regular basis anyhow.

18. FrenchKiss

FrenchKiss Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX 4090 XLR8
    Great drivers so far! The bug with my AVR is finally gone. I can enjoy my first update for my GTX 680 since... 7 months :s

My system always failed with all drivers past 314.22 because of a strange bug with my AVR over HDMI. If at any time my screen blinks (e.g. switch programs with different refresh rates, switch user session, or just switch the screen off and on) then screen colors go wrong, very dark with high contrast. If it blinks a second time, whole system goes frozen: black screen, no sounds, nothing. Hard reset always required. Finally gone :)

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    @Veteran

I see, thanks for the info. :)

@SLI-756

why do you use auto OC in windows? Your gpu will use higher idle voltage, imo not a good idea for gpu life span.

I OC only when I have to or when I start a more demanding game, otherwise its always at stock clocks in windows.

20. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Life span...every dude changes his gpu within 2 years tops, in normal OC conditions, after 2 years the card can suffer from OC, and i don't think anyone OC's hardcore and plays games too, you OC hardcore only for some benchs, in gaming conditions you need to keep a balance temps/good oc/fps

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013