First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    If your running anything like Afterburner or monitoring software it will hang the install, Asus AI suite did it to me, uninstalled it and upgrade went fine.

2. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    When you go to User Accounts in Control Panel it should say you are admin, you could then change Account control settings notification to none. This may solve what you are talking about.

3. Witcher

Witcher Guest

GPU:
    Intel
    Nope :(. This didn't help me.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

5. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Apparently there is going to be a 'GA rollup' which will finalize 8.1 with a 200mb download containing updates/fixes.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'd read something similar as well. That makes sense as the RTM is almost well over a month old now.

7. nonymous666

nonymous666 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Founders
    Yup. Lots of discussion of it all of a sudden on various blogs and forums.

Microsoft actually announced this back in late August, but I think nobody paid attention back then.

In this article, a MS guy admits that the RTM was known to be buggy and explains that they had to release it that way to get it to OEMs on time...
    http://www.extremetech.com/computin...ut-expect-a-large-bug-fixing-patch-on-release

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  8. rflair

GPU:
    5700XT
    Windows 7 had a 178MB patch on official release compared to RTM.

That site makes it sound like its something major when Windows always worked like this.

9. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I'll hopefully be downloading the 'real' 8.1 on Friday then from our VLSC. Hope they also release RSAT for 8.1 at the same time too otherwise I'm not going to be able to play with the new Group Policy items and test they actually work!!

My interest is purely for the business user and how easy it is to administer. So far the 8.1 RTM is not behaving as expected, even when following TechNet guides and M$ blogs!! Hopefully this Friday will be the day 8.1 comes to the business user.

10. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It will be interesting to see what you think, as a business user once it is released.

11. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    So...the final word about drivers and stuff for w8.1? Do the drivers and compatible softwares for 8.0 will work with 8.1?..I understand about some issues and such, but in general...r they fine?

PS. some dude words from another thread are forced me to at least try out w8.1 :D

12. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    When this will be officially out?

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

It'll hit the Windows Store on the 17th and Retail outlets on the 18th.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  14. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Anyone know of any discounts yet in the UK? Even on the older 8.0 versions?

15. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    The Pirate Bay has had Windows 8 on discount for the last 14 months. :eyebrows:

16. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Of course lol! But I would want it activated so I can get 8.1 and all the updates.

Careful now... ;)

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Best place is to check Amazon for the OEM/System Builder version. It's only $99 here. Not sure what that amounts to over there.

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    You can get the Windows8 upgrade for about £50 from several places including ebay.

Windows 8 -> 8.1 is just a windows update, it doesn't cost.

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Anyone experiencing games crashing when changing the resolution and applying/saving it?

I'm encounter these crashes only when setting the resolution from the in-game options when using the v331.40 beta drivers with Windows 8.1 Pro RYM (64-bit) which I upgraded to last weekend. These games, with the exception of FIFA 13 which has incompatibility issues on my system, all work fine otherwise just as they did with the previous build of Windows using these same drivers. Since I did an in-place upgrade from Windows 8 Pro the majority of my games (some 400+) already have the correct resolution and settings applied so no changes are needed and they work fine.

However, some Unreal Engine 3 games, unfortunately, have the annoying habit of resetting the graphics settings every time a new driver is installed and these have usually crashed upon changing the settings, including the resolution, but, luckily for me, when I reloaded them the correct settings had been applied and saved.

Also, I've just installed the LEGO Marvel Super Heroes demo this morning and that repeatedly crashes whenever I apply the resolution change from the default 1280x800 to 1920x1200. As such I am unable to set the resolution at all. This is the error:

Faulting application name: LEGOMarvelDemo.exe, version: 1.0.0.7452, time stamp: 0x523c6666
    Faulting module name: LEGOMarvelDemo.exe, version: 1.0.0.7452, time stamp: 0x523c6666
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0027a1e7
    Faulting process ID: 0x378
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cec979d3e0af2e
    Faulting application path: D:\Demos\LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes\LEGOMarvelDemo.exe
    Faulting module path: D:\Demos\LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes\LEGOMarvelDemo.exe
    Report ID: 628b9c3d-356d-11e3-8002-74d02b28a5e8
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I did have the odd resolution crash with Windows 8 Pro but now it seems that every new game I install that doesn't set the resolution itself to 1920x1200 has a very high chance of crashing when I try to change the resolution and apply it manually. Obviously, editing the INI/config file to set the resolution is a workaround but I'm puzzled as to why I'm even having these crashes in the first place. Surely setting the resolution should be a very simple task for any application?

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    While it is free, it's far from being just a plain old update. It's a brand new kernel with a whole slew of new features.