BenQ XL2420TE 24-Inch Gaming Monitors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Check out this newly launched gaming monitor from BenQ, the XL2420TE. Adopting a TN panel, this new 24-inch LED-backlight monitor (144Hz refresh rate) provides 1920 x 1080 Full HD resolution, 1000:1 c...

BenQ XL2420TE 24-Inch Gaming Monitors

2. ricardonuno1980

ricardonuno1980 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 780Ti Classified :D
    IMPORTANT!!
    "ZeroFlicker" technology is enabled - bad because we may get originally motion blur, likely "traditional" backlight. Therefore I don't like this technology. And people also not.

3. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I'd think that this whole ZeroFlicker is nothing more but a combination of high refresh rate and quality backlight (not ****ty PWM without filters).

However at this price, I'd rather think about EIZO Foris.

4. DribbelDog

DribbelDog Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 FE SLI
    I saw you mentioning the EIZO Foris series in another monitor announcement before (regarding the Philips 144Hz monitor), and thus took a look at them. I noticed that unfortunately, all the (current?) monitors in the EIZO Foris series are 60Hz. Do you really find these monitors comparable then? It's really a discussion between image quality and refresh rate I guess, but the reason this monitor is expensive is obviously because of the 144Hz aspect.

I'm personally using a 120Hz panel (Samsung s27a750d). I love this display in terms of both image quality (beautiful vibrant colors) as well as smoothness (120Hz). I don't have a lot of experience with high end IPS panels, but this monitor easily surpasses the roughly $200 IPS panels I've seen thus far (mostly Dell monitors) in terms of image quality. Just trying to say that I don't think TN necessarily means terrible image quality. Personally, when I now use 60Hz monitors, I get the feeling the mouse is broken as soon as I start moving it around (because of the lower refresh rate). I'm just really waiting for that high-res 120Hz monitor myself.

5. Kill666er

Kill666er Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 6800OC
    Samsung sucks you noob. Get over it.

6. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    samsung sucks? really? one of the best if not the best? you are the noob here.

7. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Either we have some bad attitude example or a stolen account.

And DribbelDog, I have yet to see a quality TN screen. I haven't seen your Samsung monitor tho. Perhaps they changes so much that TN doesn't mean eyes hurting anymore.

Foris FS2333 has 3.4ms in specs. It should be capable of 120Hz, but unfortunately it's 60 - not the same. I miss the response time and smoothness of my good old CRT EIZO T965...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  8. Jod

Jod Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    This monitor is the first CONFIRMED PWM FREE 120/144hz gaming panel.

I have personally tried 4 120hz models in the past and sent every one of them back due to INSANE EYE STRAIN AND MASSIVE HEADACHES.

I for one am EXTREMELY glad BenQ released a monitor w/ such technology.

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  10. Jod

Jod Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    I messaged him on Youtube and had him hold a cell phone camera up to the display @ 50% brightness to check for wavy lines. He said there was none.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

11. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    I had a XL2420T, colors are awful even calibrated, the Asus VG248QE has amazing colors.

12. Jod

Jod Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    Sadly the Asus has a PWM controlled backlight and thus isn't even an option for me.

I am hopeful a TE purchased next month will have more success than what I've read. I'm coming from a very nice S-IPS w/ beautiful colors though, so this could be a total disaster...we'll see.

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah you're definitely going to notice it. I have a U2410 I calibrated using a Spyder3 next to my 2420T from BenQ and the difference is night and day in terms of quality. But there is no way I'm giving up 120Hz for gaming, it just feels so much better.

Hopefully the mobile push towards better displays starts scaling into the desktop world. Tired of 1080p/TN and terrible out of the box calibration.

14. Jod

Jod Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    Oh good grief I know! Would you kill to have a nice AMOLED @ 120hz?! That would be insanely great.

But it looks like Amazon is now selling the BenQ for $318 vs $400 from yesterday, so that makes it a much easier decision. I will wait 1 or 2 more months, but that's it. I'm playing BF4 right!

My current monitor is a Dell 2007WFP from 2007, lol. The motion blur, trailers, ghosting, input lag, response time...it's awful. It's just...a world of pain. Even scrolling in Firefox makes me angry. :bang:

15. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Well i don't notice it at all, what is the downside of that anyway? I sit behind my PC almost 10 hours a day.

16. Jod

Jod Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming
    Best info I have seen says it has to do with the rod layout/size in your eyes. Some folks are sensitive to it and can see the flicker. It gives me an instant headache w/ major eye pain. It is awful.

If you wanna see it, set your brightness to 1/2 and hold a camera phone app up to the screen. You will see wavy lines Now crank the brightness up to 100 and you'll see the lines stop or go away.

Next time you're around an iPad 3 or higher do the same thing and you'll find that no matter the brightness level, there will be no lines. Do the same to some of the lesser tablets and you'll see the lines.

17. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I would wait!the various test aren't really relevant if you aren't defaulted to invariant tsc and even if you were ?you would still need message signal interrupt to be set properly (1 MSI per CPU core instead of one MSI per CPU socket!wait in 2014 benchmark methology will have taken this into account then we all see which screen rule!

18. nakquada

nakquada Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE
    Are you taking the mickey? Samsung sucks? Hahahahaha.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Samsung doesn't suck, but recent behaviour puts them on the "scoff" list, whenever they are mentioned on the internet.

20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Hmmm it doesn't do that to my eyes at all, nor do i get headache of it.

I am more satisfied with this monitor then the BenQ i've had, it was horrible monitor.