Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Tenken

Tenken Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Came back to my computer to find one of my nVidia programs had crashed, I assumed the driver crashed while I was away. In addition, Rift was getting random half-second freezes/stutters, which I'm hoping was just the driver as it didn't happen until I started mucking with things.

Anyways, rolled back to 314.14 and it seems to be working ok. Successful even after restart. Only weird thing is EVGA Precision X sees the card as "GK104" instead of "GTX 760" - I assume that's fine until new drivers come around.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Haha, strange it sees it that way... does Precision X get the name from the device manager or the BIOS?
    Weird now it randomly works after restarting but like you said, I would not question it at this point. (well I would but for your sake stick with it lol).

3. zara

zara Guest

GPU:
    1024MB GeForce GTX 280M
    I'm trying to update my Nvidia 280m's driver to GeForce 320.49, but I do not see any of the "ntvs" or the other .inf variations listed in the OP. Have any idea which .infs I should modify? There are a ton.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Hm, it's usually pretty easy to find. Without me looking at it (you can upload all the infs to a zip file if you really want) I can only tell you to look at a regular geforce driver and what the inf looks like (the top section typically always looks about the same, just with different information about the driver), and compare.

5. Icekiss69

Icekiss69 Guest

GPU:
    cookie
    Hiya
    how do you get this to work? I have tried countless times with no luck I am trying to add 780 support to 320.78-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql because the current release 320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql bsod's my pc daily :pray2pc:

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    What do you see/what happens when it fails? The same old 'device not supported' message as if it wasn't modified? Or maybe something about missing components?

7. Icekiss69

Icekiss69 Guest

GPU:
    cookie
    ya hardware not supported

8. pstlouis

pstlouis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Aorus Xt
    install 314.22 for GTX700 series card.

you have to choose the proper section for your card. The best thing to do is use the same section has for the Titan. I already gave the instruction on one of my thread.If you choose a section that is not for your os and your card windows will crash.

Go to section 6.2 that is for windows 8. Then copy the line for the titan that device number are 1005 and paste on top of it. Replace the device number by 1004 for the GTX780. At the end you have to do the same, copy and paste the line for the titan and put it on top of the titan line and replace the device number for the GTX780 and replace the identification with the GTX780 instead of the Titan. That all. you have 2 lines to add that's it.

9. Icekiss69

Icekiss69 Guest

GPU:
    cookie
    neat that worked ty I didn't know I had to alter the os information too I originally only did strings
    I am windows 7 but I up dated them all better safe then sorry I put in 780 & titan

string
    NVIDIA_DEV.1004 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780"
    NVIDIA_DEV.1005 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN"

%NVIDIA_DEV.1004% = Section022, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1005% = Section022, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1005

%NVIDIA_DEV.1004% = Section066, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1005% = Section066, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1005

%NVIDIA_DEV.1004% = Section067, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1004
    %NVIDIA_DEV.1005% = Section067, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1005

I copied these from 320.49-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-english-whql and pasted them into 320.78-quadro-tesla-grid-desktop-win8-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql it worked instantly after adding the os stuff I got a red warning when installing though I just clicked install anyways I think it should be still whql in theory even though it doesn't advertise it after being modified anymore?

That feature Ctrl+F works like a charm too would of really taken forever with out it

Thank you for everyone who helped

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The 'red warning' shows up because you modified the inf. :D

There is no difference between whql and a non-whql, but yeah technically Microsoft looked at the driver in question for a second and gave it a pass, changing the inf does not change that the fact that happened- as utterly pointless at it is.

11. JCRUYFF

JCRUYFF Guest

GPU:
    CPU
    Hi

Installed Modded 314.22 driver on Gigabyte GTX 760 OC 2GB, but after restart it only appears black screen.

Tried 314.07 and 314.14 the same problem!

Please help!

EDIT: I found the solution - Unninstall Intel HD Graphics driver!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Well glade you figured it out. Also glade the guide it working out for people.

13. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Which file do these entries go in? I'm 780 sli on win 8.1, hoping they install

Thank you

14. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Read the first post buddy. Why bother reading a few pages and asking people to read it for you pretty much?

15. Deasnutz

Deasnutz Guest

GPU:
    Titan X 12GB
    Because there is usually a sucker out there that will do the work for me...thanks man!:banana:

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Sucker? har har. I did all the work making the guide in the first place, no problem.

17. wheeljack12

wheeljack12 Guest

you need to update your device id's to windows 8.1 for us 8.1 users.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    The device ID's do not change, just the section you put it in.
    In this case NTamd64.6.3.

19. iDoraemon

iDoraemon Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GT650M DDR3
    Is modding 186.82 driver for GT 650M possible? I've tried to follow exactly the instruction in the 1st post but no go. The installation encounters errors all the time. Seems like I have to dig in the Section part in the inf file, while I have little to no experience about that. Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I mean, it technically should work. But who knows what could go wrong on such a new GPU with such an old driver. Why on earth do you want to use that driver?