Steam Controller Revealed

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by morbias, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    They might pull through with the circular trackpads instead of thumb-sticks, but the AXBY positions.... I'm sorry but I can't see those being as practical/faster/efficient etc.

2. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    The buttons just look like they're in an awful position. If you need to press buttons quickly (beat'em Up's / platformers or fast paced action games) how are you supposed to do that if they are spread over both sides? How do you move up and press X at the same time?

I'll stick with the USB Xbox controller for the time being.

3. Nafta

Nafta Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950/HD4000 MVP
    You're aware that there are other buttons on the controller other than YXBA, programmable buttons...

4. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    I agree...I'll pass

5. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    I agree...I'll pass

Steam is following Microsoft on the whole reinventing the wheel.

6. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    It really looks like a speaker rather than a controller.

7. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    Maybe this one wont need AIM Assist for games? Because analogue sticks are so precise...

Too many old farts in this forum ...haha

8. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You know, I like the idea of this controller. I can imagine it being quite intuitive to use once you get used to it, and I can see how it can be more precise than the existing controllers from console competitors. Whether it will be more precise than mouse & keyboard is definitely debatable, but Steam is aiming for the living room TV market with this whole new push, so I think it's a good compromise (keyboard & mouse don't work in the living room).

If the Steam OS can pull off a big advantage in comparison to Windows, then I think that they're onto a big winner with this combination! I think they need a 50% performance increase on Windows though on game fps performance in order for this to work though.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  9. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I just don't understand the general negativity that has been going on in this forum for quite sometime now.

It's a new tech and we are in a tech forum. At least wait until the thing is released and reviews are around before we give any judgement.

10. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Any pricing info yet? might try it if it's cheap but not if it's something like £100

11. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Even so those buttons are almost pointless if used for anything more than start/select/home etc. and I'm going to bet that they aren't. The one benefit it does have is that it can be configured for right or left handed players as its a mirrored controller so its not all bleak.

I've no problem with new tech but there are some designs for console pads that just don't work and while this will need a good test before judgment can be passed it's not looking good on the layout. The track pads, cool idea but the button positioning is just mind boggling to me right now.

I'm sure the Atari Jaguar pad looked new and innovative before it was released and turned out to be an unworldly mess.

12. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    One thing that PC gamers always complain about gamepads is that they are not accurate or as quick as kb/mouse. Sooo Valve tries to solve that problem and here we are before ever even trying it or be open to letting ourselves get accustomed to using different devices. If this fails and I think it will, it's only because PC gamers are too stubborn. I know you guys, I know you Anand/neogaf/techforum..etc guys. Bunch of stubborn, hateful bastards, all of you!

13. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    I'm always open for new ideas. I can't make a judgment until I get to try one. Might be the new way to game.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Lol, so angry. It's going to fail because you can't reproduce the kb/mouse experience with anything less than a keyboard and mouse. Trackpads are crap. Go use one and tell me how accurate it is.

15. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Looks great. I usually hate change to things like controllers but this is interesting and none of us know how it will be in games. Dunno why everyone's hating on something they've never tried as if they know 100% it's no good lol. Could be 1000x more precise and easier than thumbsticks. I imagine they're a lot more tactile than your average smart device digitizer anyways.

16. AlexKidd5000

AlexKidd5000 Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon R9 280X
    I personally think this controller will be revolutionary, has anyone looked at what it actually does? Freakin amazing!

17. Ursopro

Ursopro Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950 WindForce3
    Been with valve and steam since the beginning the wonid days! Think they are trying to take a chunk of the console profit since Nintendo is out ect. I am still gonna stick with my beast PC.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Cool...modern warfare support...now I can finally prove to my friends that I can kick there ass with my K/M......(they are a total mess with a K/M) Lol...:deflate:

19. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    I'll definitely give it the benefit of the doubt, certainly trackpads have had room for massive improvement for many years now. It seems like it would be hard to put it at a competitive price point against what is already arguably the best PC game pad, the Xbox 360 controller.

20. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Although there are a lot of negative feedback from this site about this controller...

I feel like it could have a lot of potential. I think it could be more precise/accurate than a thumbstick, but only time will tell and I am interested to read a review about it...