Shadow Warrior - Reimagining

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Damien_Azreal, May 10, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The game includes FXAA, 2xFSAA and 4xFSAA options so FSAA is not the same thing as FXAA. Both 4xFSAA and FXAA are on a par with each other IMO, although FSAA is more demanding and perhaps a tiny bit better. Neither are particularly effective at removing jaggies, although it is sufficient such that they're not distracting while actually playing. I'm guessing that FSAA is a fullscreen edge filter of some kind, possibly a custom made one as Hard Reset also includes it.

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Get out of here, Stalker!

3. AndyB

AndyB NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    GeForce GTX TITAN SLI
    Anyone with a NVIDIA SLI config want to try out 0x02400005 with AFR2? May fix the choppiness experienced with the Hard Reset profile that some folks are using.

Please report back with your results!

4. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
    Getting some ****ty performance in the shipyard level. When there's a lot of enemies on the screen, the frame rate drops from steady 60 to 35~45. Curiously, the gpu usage seems to drop too in these occasions, apparently the game uses just two cores. Turned off "mirrors" but it didn't help much. Been playing with everything on ultra, except for ssao which is on medium, and fxaa to maintain dat 60fps, and it's not enough :(

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Original Crysis used FSAA..It's like MSAA, a bit worse i guess, but still way better than FXAA/MLAA.

6. Phroster

Phroster Master Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 4080 RTX
    The game is very good considering it was 29 euro when you could still pre order it. Also it reminds me somewhat of Bulletstorm, with the insane gore and and the way you are rewarded for killing enemies in different ways with karma points you can use to upgrade your own skills.

Only downside atm is the performance could be better.
    I added the sw.exe to the Hard Reset profile, but didn't really make any difference. It plays decent on default settings, when I set it everything to ultra the game goes below 60fps very often.
    The game also only uses 3 cores.

I hope they optimize the game soon with a patch or perhaps an nvidia profile.

7. sephking

sephking Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980ti Classified
    Worked for me. I added the SW exe to the Hard Reset profile and got a huge performance gain. Still has some dips into the mid 40's but generally stays around 60-70. Before it was around 40-50 dipping into the low 30's.

8. Paulo Narciso

Paulo Narciso Guest

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    That profile is much worst than hardreset profile. Framerate drops a lot into 30's. With hardreset profile I have 60 fps constant.

9. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I should look it up but I believe that whereas MSAA is multi-sample anti-aliasing that takes several samples of the image and works with those to reduce aliasing FSAA or full-scene (Or was it screen?) anti-aliasing samples the entire picture and everything in it to smooth out jagged edges.

FSAA is the older technique and more demanding and I believe MSAA is more efficient as well.
    (FSAA might be a bit blurry too but I can't remember the exact details.)

For compatibility I think FSAA works better under deferred lighting than MSAA thus why several games (Or game engines.) are using it still.
    (Unsure about DX10 or higher, 10.1 and I think also 11.1 from what I remember have helped with MSAA performance but I think it's still more demanding than it would be under DirectX 9 but I'm not 100% sure.)

EDIT: Oh and yeah Nvidia and AMD does have various modes for MSAA, adaptive-AA for transparency / alpha objects for example along with edge-detect algorithm for AMD whereas Nvidia has transparency AA and various combination modes, I forgot the actual name of it.
    (Both also support supersampling but I believe it's a bit limited in compatibility but once again I'm not 100% certain on those facts though I'm pretty certain on that both Nvidia and AMD have worked to improve this in recent driver releases.)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Performance for me is perfectly fine.
    I disabled "Mirrors" and left everything else maxed. The game runs incredibly smooth, no lag or stuttering.

11. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    hey anyone know how to disable those annoying green outlines on objects its annoying as f! removes a part from the immersion

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    There's a command "r_draw_outlines" that defaults to 1 and has the description "Draw outlines" so maybe setting it to 0 would work, there's also a in-game item but it's for having it for objects and the like (So they don't glow unless you try to pick them up.) so it doesn't affect items you can interact with such as doors.

EDIT: These exist as well (Along with a few others controlling colors and such.)

r_outline_intensity_1 2
    r_outline_intensity_2 2.0
    (The value is the assigned default value, setting it to 0 or 0.0 might work or it could just turn them pure white or black instead.)

EDIT: Oh and once again it's Ctrl+~ (Tilde) that toggles the console command prompt.
    (Unfortunately there's no help or otherwise so you have to know the commands you enter beforehand and they are case sensitive, entering a command without a value will display it's description and default value if it has those or if it's a direct console command it'll toggle that on or off instead.)

13. orangewoolcry

orangewoolcry Member Guru

GPU:
    geforce 680 gtx
    youd think more people would be bothered by this , anyhow is there a way to disable them permanently like per autocfg.ini or such?

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    You can add the commands to any file and then call that file via the exec command (exec tweak.cfg for example) but I don't know if there is a file that the game reads automatically besides User.cfg
    (Some commands do stick when added to that file but most others are removed, you could set it as read-only I suppose but then you wouldn't be able to change the settings in-game without first removing that flag.)

You could also open binds.cfg and add it that way such as taking the existing bind +f flashlight you could add a command under that called bind +f1 exec tweak.cfg or what you might have named the file containing your custom settings. :)

Then you just press F1 while playing the game to toggle those commands instantly, needs to be done each time the game is started but you avoid having to type the commands out every time via the console prompt.

EDIT: I should provide a better example.

In the Shadow Warrior folder where the game exe (sw.exe) is located you create a .txt file, in my case it's named test.cfg
    (.cfg or .txt shouldn't matter.)

To that file you can then add any desired commands similar to how CryEngine tweaks work to use that as a example.

The file I'm using currently contains these commands:

r_fov 65
    r_weapon_fov 55
    r_mip_lod -0.5
    r_farZ 6000.0
    r_foliage_range_multiplier 4
    r_draw_water_ss_particles 1
    r_shadows_res 4096
    r_shadows_format 3
    r_foliage_scale_distance 0.05
    g_player_sword "w1_sword_sw_classic"

Unfortunately water screen-space particles and weapon FOV are read-only and can't be set but I'm keeping them in the file for now.
    (Normal FOV might be restricted as well but the above is the normal default, just kept for convenience.)

Then I modified binds.cfg from the user folder which is C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\Shadow Warrior
    (/Profiles/PROFILENAME)

Which now looks like this.

bind +f "flashlight_toggle"
    bind +f5 "exec test.cfg"
    bind +f4 "r_draw_hud 0"
    bind +f3 "r_draw_hud 1"
    bind +f2 "r_draw_weapon 0"
    bind +f1 "r_draw_weapon 1"

Thus I can use the F system keys to toggle various commands and also to call that test.cfg file which is more convenient than typing out the command but yeah a autoexec.cfg file or similar would have been even better if the game has one.

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Post in the Anti aliasing thread at let MrBonk take alook at it. Im sure he will find a flag because if he cant then nobody will.

16. theworldisover

theworldisover Guest

GPU:
    Msi 960 gamer 2gb
    How is the game? is it like painkiller?

By the looks of it it looks like hordes of monsters just running at you.

Is it faithfull you the old shadow warrior or completely different?

17. jim2point0

jim2point0 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 2080TI
    Regarding the plot... I've been skipping the cut scenes. I kinda got bored of the silly attempt at a story early on.

And there aren't hordes of enemies like painkiller. I'd say it's more like Bioshock Infinite, where you fight them in "waves." As in, you enter an area where there will be combat and suddenly 8 enemies will come at you. Rather than enemies being trickled out over the course of a level.

There is a skill system in the game. You can learn new skills for your katana which are pretty sweet. Just got one where I charge up my sword and shoot out a slashing projectile that goes through multiple enemies. Love that one. You also have other powers like force pushes, healing, etc etc. I've actually been ignoring the weapons for the most part because I like the katana gameplay a lot.

18. spekgat7

spekgat7 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    autoexec.cfg does work

If you add your settings (e.g. pp_dof_enable "0") to an "autoexec.cfg" file in the game root folder, those settings are applied at startup. Verify this by checking the var values while at the main menu.

The problem is, these settings are saved to the savegame files, so whenever you restore a savegame that was made BEFORE you started using the autoexec.cfg file, these effects (settings) revert to default again.

THE SOLUTION IS:

(1) Place your tweaks in "autoexec.cfg" file in game root folder;

(2) Add the following line to file "..\profiles\[username]\binds.cfg":

bind +f12 "exec autoexec.cfg"

(3) Start game and Continue (i.e. restore old savegame file).

(4) Press F12 in the game to apply the tweaks, then press F5 (QuickSave). Now in future all savegames will already contain your tweaks at startup (i.e. you never have to press F12 again).

For instance, I apply the following settings in that manner and it works right:

pp_dof_enable "0"
    pp_blur_enable "0"
    pp_film_grain_enable "0"
    pp_glow_enable "0"
    pp_screen_blur_enable "0"
    pp_radial_blur_enable "0"

Hope it helps. And it's not my ideas... I got all the data right from this page :)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  19. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If you're skipping the story beats, you're missing out. They are very well done and add to the game.

The game feels like a mix of BulletStorm/Painkiller/Hard Reset.
    Similar to Painkiller and Hard Reset you do find yourself locked in areas, fighting groups of enemies.
    But, in a style similar to BulletStorm you get scored/rated on you how fight... what weapons and moves you use to take them down.
    The game is also paced like it. It plays like a traditional shooter, linear levels with you being required to hit certain areas, meet specific tasks/goals to move forward. Triggering enemy attacks.

It's a great game. The work on the story and characters is also top notch, I love this new, updated Lo Wang.

20. pjokerxp

pjokerxp Banned

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 680 2GB
    how do you check the Var in the main menu ?