First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    If you're already activated then you wont need to reactivate again if you download the update through the windows store.

2. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    In my case I had to activate Windows 8.1 Pro even though I was upgrading an activated Windows 8 Pro install, so for VL editions it looks like you'll need an 8.1 MAK or KMS key. Of course, this was from a genuine MSDN 8.1 Pro ISO that was made into a VL edition ISO and doing the upgrade from within Windows 8 :)

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I noticed with task manager when scrolling on processes tab, im getting lag. and one cpu core is hitting 100%

4. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    What program is showing up at 100% or high cpu usage well doing that?

5. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Not happening here when idle, CPU is 1% max when scrolling through the processes list.

On another note, is anyone getting Explorer hangs with AVG 2014 FREE when Right-Clicking, either in Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8.1 Pro? I kept getting random hangs in both versions when right-clicking on files/folders and decided to disable Shell Extensions one by one using Sysinternals Autoruns, it so happened I started with AVG and so far have had no hangs when right-clicking. I only tried this under Windows 8.1 Pro but I suspect AVG was the culprit under Windows 8 Pro too.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    idk

I checked with process explorer when scrolling processes in task manager and it showing task manager itself taskmgr.exe is hitting 85-95 on one core when scrolling proccesses. all the other tabs are fine.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Fine here too, try sfc /scannow

8. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    Is it normal that my windows 8 pro keys is not working when I try to do a clean install of 8.1?

9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Yes it's normal. You need to use the setup key to install it. Then install your retail key and activate it.

10. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    My desktop doesn't like Windows 8. Then again, it didn't like Windows 7 either, apparently. I would get a random BSOD whenever I played games or videos for a random amount of time... Usually the videos past 20 minutes, and the games past 2-3 hours at a time. And that's even with the replacement graphics card I got.

I'm curious though... With the windows 8.1 lock screen talked about at the beginning of the vid, will we be able to control which pictures show up or will that just be random? Pretty bad idea if random. *2 seconds later* "Oh boy, new tile sizes! :3eyes: " I like the names group thing for the start screen though. It would be nice to separate "Daily Stuff" from "Gaming Awesome" and "Work Forever, will you?". :)

If Windows could go ahead and develop actual new things that most of their clientbase (non touch-screen users) could actually use, that would be great. Thanks a bunch, Microsoft. Looking forward to Windows 8.3 (codenamed Letshopethisworks). :thumbup:

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The lock screen background is changeable in Windows8. The tiles have nothing to do with the lock screen at all. That's the start screen.

12. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Did you watch the vid on the first page? The guy went from the lock screen to the start screen and showed the "new tile sizes". That's what I was commenting on. :)

You meant windows 8.1 btw, right? I have Windows 8. I don't like it, but I have it. In 8.1 (again, if you watch the vid posted on the first post of the first page), the lock screen has a slideshow feature. I was wondering whether or not you could set which pics it chooses, but nevermind. *facepalm*

13. MasterBash

MasterBash Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX970 SSC+
    I really love windows 8.1 so far, installed it last night.

I noticed a bug right away though, use drop shadows for icon labels does absolutely nothing. Oh well.

14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    The Volume Licence versions of 8.1 are now available on TechNet/MSDN

I've also found out we do have a TechNet account that we can download from so I've Installed the 8.1 Pro VL x64 English UK version and Office Pro Plus 2013 x86 (M$ recommend 32bit Office for most people). One thing to note is that Windows Update only updated Office 2013, so it looks like they've patched the VL editions with all win updates so far!!

The AVG Free right-click hang is still present so had to disable the right-click shell extension for AVG again :(

15. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is it possible to install the final version of Windows 8.1 now, i.e. the upgrade version that keeps all my existing apps and games, or should I just wait until 18th October?

16. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    When I installed the official 8.1 Pro VL edition it gave me the option for Upgrade or Custom install on my home PC but I did a custom install from scratch. I did create a VL version from the 8.1 Pro version on TechNet before the official VL edition was released and that let me do an inline upgrade from 8 to 8.1 on my works laptop.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    A clean install is always the best way. Less problems in the long term.

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It's been possible since it leaked

Make sure the language of the ISO is the same as the one you are upgrading from, ie. en-US to en-US

Also if you are going to make a USB flashdrive for the upgrade, remove "cversion.ini" from /SOURCES folder, that stops setup from checking which version you are upgrading from, necessary for some people, me included, you can also upgrade from the 8.1 preview with that method

19. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My current Windows 8 Pro install was a clean one done in early June when I upgraded to a Haswell CPU. I spent the best part of a month reinstalling hundreds of games (I have over 400) and apps so I have no desire to repeat that any time soon. When I install Windows 8.1 it will be an in-place upgrade, of that I'm absolutely adamant. I usually only do a fresh install of Windows every 3 or 4 years when I do a major hardware update.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  20. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    In that case make a system image of your install so you can recover if it goes tits up!!