Health insurance just got canceled.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by PhazeDelta1, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Healthcare in the US is scary. Out of curiosity, how much do you guys pay for a 16 pack of paracetamol/acetaminophen? £0.16 over here.

2. Coolerking

Coolerking Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700 XT
    I never said what we have is what we need...guy from Canada...lol really?
    oh and for the record, the article was about the lack of payees into the new system in the demographic given.
    I am definitely not a republican....or a democrat for that matter.Its all the same line of BS to me ..I am a realist. 50 years of lies will teach you a thing or two, lol.
    My best advice to everyone in the US is to work hard save your money and take care of yourself, my granddad lived to 101 so that's something to aim for in my case....im done with this thread.....flame on:)

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    "Save your money" is probably the worst advice one can give in a currency that is continually devalued; better advice would be to invest it.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Very interesting read. Didn't get all the way through it, but I read enough to get the point. (which I already knew).

Last time my wife went to the hospital for seizures, the bill from the hospital was insane. $2000 just for her seizure medication (10 pills in total), which only cost me $5 for a 30-day supply (60 pills) at the pharmacy...

When I saw the bill for my chemotherapy (Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma), it was $138K.... For 3 doses of chemo.... $35K per dose plus other misc. charges amounting to $33K on their own.

Medical billing is like extortion.....

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Part of the reason why it's so high is because my dad has had cancer twice and had a bout of kidney stones. Kidney stone ER visits add up. We have catastrophic coverage. It seems like surgeries are covered, and portions of sick visits are covered. We have no drug coverage.

6. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Reading through all your experiences, I'm left with just shaking my head.

I don't know how you guys (not you in particular, but as a whole nation) sit back and take this ramming through the rear for a basic necessity. I know it sounds cocky for me sitting 15,000 km away to be bitching about a foreign country's domestic problem, but seriously.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, your view has been pretty damn spot on imho.... It is pretty sad that you have a better understanding of our health care system and it's deficiencies than most US citizens do though.... Of course, if you've had any experience with it yourself (as I believe you said you did)....you've had a chance to see the deficiencies without the political goggles.....

At this point....I'm really not sure we actually won the revolution....it's starting to look more and more like England was the real winner...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    It's kind of funny. Less than 1 month before I had to have an emergency hernia repair surgery my boss dropped the company insurance plan because of Obamacare. I was in the process of getting a new agent and then on May 2nd I tore the old mesh while sparring. Next thing you know I have a $13,500 medical bill I've been paying out of pocket. If that isn't the definition of irony, I don't know what is. :)

9. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    With median wage in the mid 20's ($26,363.55 @ 2010), saving/investing are a pipe dream for most people.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/netcomp.cgi?year=2010

In my area, that's enough to get rock bottom rent, food, gasoline, small payment for a beater car, NOTHING else, and nothing left over.
    Sustenance pay (and still well over the minimum wage).

-scheherazade

10. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Guys I did not read the whole thread, but as a small business owner, we are required to OFFER a plan. If the employee does not want to pay/take the deduction out of his pay that is his prerogative and he will be charged the fine.
    I know that sounds cold, but it's just the way it is.

FYI we do not offer benefits.

I think this whole thing is complete BS though. I think a reasonable amount should be deducted from everyones pay for National health care.
    So my concern is would we be able to reasonably support that?
    But then again we have so many lazy ****s here in the states.
    There is a ****ty motel near my shop, and it seems like everyone there is on welfare. All they do is sit outside all day, maybe walk over to the 711 to get cigs and soda!!
    This one guy has a beat **** old Volvo and the wheels are really rusty so they leak air past the bead.
    I Noticed he would come over to the shop in the afternoon and ask one of the Techs to fill up his tires.
    Well after a few days of this I told him that he would have to go elsewhere, he spit on the ground and called me an *******!
    I had helped this guy in the past get a frozen control arm bolt out, at no charge, on the GROUND over at his motel.
    He said it was his car, come to find out he was doing the job on the side!

There are jobs out there, but they hardly pay well enough to live decently.
    This whole situation is getting beyond ridiculous.
    The cost of living keeps going up.
    I am struggling, insurance, business taxes, waste disposal.
    The town decided to redo the sewer lines on the road my business is on. 30k to tap into that system!

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    The widening wealth gap is a real factor here.
    So much capital is getting concentrated in so few hands, that most people don't have the capital to spend on driving business.

It's creating a strong deflationary force, but no one wants to take the step of deflating prices.

Then you have the wall-street types pressured to keep company earnings "growing", so they jack up the prices so whoever is buying makes up for those that can't afford to anymore.

You end up with obscene amounts of wealth in the top 1% of 1%, and they only need to spend a small % of it to pay for their lifestyles, and the rest gets tied up into financial meta-products that never even touch anything tangible.

What little is left we export to other countries by buying goods made with their cheap labor, handing away our own jobs and giving them the capital to return here and buy our employers. Then they redirect the corporate profits out to themselves, so they can come back and buy more employers.
    And even if we did want to "buy local", most people can't even afford to do it.

There's a vicious cycle going on, and I don't see where it's gonna break off.
    I simply see the robber-baron era returning.
    The age of small business (REAL small business, i.e. mom&pop shops) is coming to a close.

The medical industry is just another example of a heavily financialized industry milking what it can, with complete disregard for the sustainability of the customers it depends on.

Like a predator that doesn't pace itself, the food will run out when all the capital has been drained out of the masses.
    Then they will also have to ask themselves, where the next pay check will come from, and it won't look pretty.

-scheherazade

12. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I think we're entering a period that really shows how poorly the bindings of our society are holding. We very well may end up like the Romans soon enough. Destroyed and all but forgotten.

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Rome would be a bad example; it was an empire that lasted over a thousand years. More if you count the Byzantine empire which lasted till 1453.

Also, the situation facing the U.S. is nothing like the situation that was facing the Roman empire at the time of its collapse. The U.S. has some very clear and simple ways to get back on its feet big time, the biggest problem is corruption and regulation that is circumvented at every turn.

14. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I was talking about western civilization, not just the U.S.

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    very true, everyone knows what the problem is, but too many in power are getting benefits of this corruption.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    "The buck stops here" -Obama
    Responsible or not, if you are in such positions of high responsibility, you accept responsibility for the act of others. Small example, I'm a foreman and if one of my guys does something wrong at no fault of mine, I take full responsibility and blame. Though you can view it however you like, the reality is that people will blame the leader first or whatever party/group that enacts their original idea even if others alter it. That's just the reality of what is going to happen whether anyone agrees with it, finds it unjust or whatever, he will get the finger pointed at and there is no stopping it.

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Dam Tesco charged me 20p I was ripped off :3eyes:

On another note at least doctors here recommend cheaper alternatives rather than the most expensive medication

18. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    i am almost positive he has never said that. he passes off any scandal to his subordinates and his limited accomplishes he takes credit for everything personally. He's such a narcissist he just blatantly lies (Syria Red Line) and people still believe and trust him, it's sad. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577304579055030635685244.html

19. S3nt3nc3

S3nt3nc3 Master Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W7000
    Another story is to find good doctor who will actually try to help you instead of sending you off with paracetamol.

20. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The OP mentioned health care being cancelled. Another good thing in Canada is,it NEVER gets cancelled. No matter what the illness previous or present, or how severe it may get,there is No such thing as cancelled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.