The "i'm proud of this picture i took" thread #4

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Glidefan, Aug 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Link

I'm glad you liked some of the pictures I've taken. Here's link the to the raw file:
    http://dfiles.eu/files/t1xd9l94o

They said there will be flash floods during my stay, yet it was alot like this

[​IMG]
    Scotland by Rudlin, on Flickr

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    yeah, every time I've been to the scottish highlands I had similar weather, it's only when we went to Skye it was miserable. Thanks for the .raw mate :)

I'll do some editing of my own on that raw and post back with the result if you don't mind :)

3. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Absolutely not, in fact I'm quite looking forward to it any feedback appreciated :)

4. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks. Ok, nothing drastic here, didn't really mess with the raw sliders, I left them as they were, but what I did is bring the foreground into the light a little bit to make the photo a little bit more dynamic. Also cropped a bit of the sky, I wish I could crop it a bit more tbh. Not sure it's everyone's cup of tea, but why not :) Here it is.
    [​IMG]

And yours for easy comparison
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013

5. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M
    Good edit, definitely better than the one I had posted. Only now I start realizing how much difference can post processing can do to landscape pictures. Cheers

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    it was only a quick one. I lightened and sharpened up the foreground and slightly darkened the upper 2/3s of the pic. ideally I'd love it if the horizon was a bit higher but still nice capture and again, you lucky b*stard :) That shot would have been great had you used a gradual filter, but still, photoshop is pretty powerful if you shoot raw.

7. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
  8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It would be interesting to know how things would look like with that many eyes.

Sumtin...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. keenan

keenan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti Hydro Copper
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  10. MrDre

MrDre Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX570

11. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
  12. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Nothing to be disappointed about, its a lovely shot (sunrise).

You don't have to use rule of thirds all the time, and I think this is one of those times. There is a lovely reflection and not too many black areas.

13. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    thanks PC :) the sky didn't turn out quite what i had expected haha

and funny enough, when i originally took the photo i did take it with the 1/3 but when i got home and looked at the photo decided in the end there was just too much "nothing" in the foreground had i stuck with the 1/3 so ended up cropping it the way i did, glad someone else agrees with the crop :)

14. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Agreed. The symmetry looks great - almost like a Rorschach test.

15. Rudlin

Rudlin Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970M

16. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
  17. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    A model shoot from a week ago. I had the horrible task of placing the tape on her :) and a shot taken at Myrtle Beach, SC on Saturday morning.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    ...but someone's gotta do it right? ;)

[​IMG]
    dragonfly by basketballfreak6, on Flickr

19. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    don't like the first one on the top of this page, the left third of the shot is completely dis-interesting. Like the last one you posted here, I would have gone for a longer shutter speed myself personally and also would have taken a couple of steps to the right. Technically very clean though.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  20. chiefmasterjedi

chiefmasterjedi Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2xEVGA GTX260 core216
    Ballfreak,
    You have the perfect place to take photos, I would love to have somewhere close by that looks like that.
    I think there are some compositional improvements that could be made with these. You have lots of natural lines in the rocks, I would use these to your advantage.
    Now this is what I would do if I had that scene in front of me, which doesn't mean that I'm right because we all see things differently. I would get a lot lower to the ground and use that 17mm lens to my advantage. Wide angle lenses are best used by distorting perspective, you can really put emphasis on the foreground features, then lead the viewer into the photo to a point of interest. This is easily done by using those nice lines in the rocks. I would have one of those lines come out from the lower corner of the frame and go across the photo and stop somewhere in the opposite upper third. The line will need to stop at some point of interest.........maybe the sun.
    I know getting real low with a tripod is tricky, I'm lucky and have a tripod that can have the center shaft turn at 90 degrees, so I can have my camera almost touching the ground. Maybe one of those little cheap tripos would work or rest the camera on the rocks and do a timed delay......I've done this before.

Sort of like this..........

Nikon 700
    16-35VR @ 16mm

[​IMG]
    TPC Duke chapel-10 by Chris coombes, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    TPC Art-4 by Chris coombes, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Striping by Chris coombes, on Flickr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.