Rome 2: Total War?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Jun 25, 2012.

1. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    When playing Empire, you're best to go with Darthmod and opt for no forts. Empire has some serious issues after the final patch with them. There is also another mod I use to enhance that aspect further (sorry, don't have it to hand at the moment). Once that is applied, the game is great. I've clocked over 800 hours with it.

Btw I have the exact same performance issues as you with Rome II. Part of the reason I got my money back on it. I'll give it 6 months and see where they are with it then. Unfortunately with all of their Warscape powered releases, they tend to follow a process of breaking and fixing as they go through the patching cycle. All of their previous releases have been left with bugs even after they've patched the hell out of the titles, some of which were not there at release! Its just a case of working around them or deciding if you can tolerate them or not. However Rome II for me has been the worse state on release to date - or at the very least, on par with Empire: which even with its bugs I actually enjoyed on release, Rome II I did not.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ KingDazza - Well you have a very similar PC to mine - the 4770K is after all only an updated i7-3770K - so I'd have been very surprised if you said your game was running perfectly at 60 fps! It's still good to know that I'm not the only one have performance issues. I still cannot get over how unbelievable it that the campaign map, of all things, runs so badly at around 23 fps. It's ridiculous. What on earth are the CPU and GPU being wasted on that they cannot run a mostly static, low detail map at 60 fps?

3. KingDazza

KingDazza Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti Strix
    Yeah I noticed similar specs, I just posted confirmation of performance so you'd know it's not just you :)

They just shoved it out before it was ready. From previous releases I should have known better really and not pre-ordered. Thing is, I reckoned that as Rome II is such a highly demanded and anticipated title, that they wouldn't dare risk compromising the series by giving us something broken. But they did. And they certainly wont catch me ever pre-ordering from them again.

You see Shogun 2 was different. It was released in good shape. But then what did they do? They released a huge patch for Fall Of The Samurai and caused numerous new problems. Even now many patches on, its still not perfectly stable. Either CA have some incompetent coders or they just don't bother properly QA'ing or of course, they just rely on people tolerating it. Lets face it, there's absolutely no way they didn't know they had severe issues with Rome II before releasing.

Its been interesting seeing the contrast in user opinions vs "professional" reviewers. Why, its enough to make one quite cynical. ;)

4. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    How many Rome II reviews were done on PCs at SEGA's or CA's offices, I wonder? A few reviews did mention bugs and glitches and marked the game down for them - Eurogamer's 7/10 and AngryJoe's 5/10 reviews for example - but a surprising number didn't.

5. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  6. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    1st c&p link did not work, eh? ;)
    2nd you get almost on every key site a game key for 30 € fyi :)

New driver 327.23; no gain in fps or anything.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Fixed the link also they got a £5 code making it under £20

Not sure on these drivers campaign map fps is up from 30 to 50 but battles its dropped down to 9fps when it was around 30 before.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I read a post from someone at NVIDIA on their GeForce.com forum and they said they are aware of the performance issues with TW: Rome II and will try to include optimizations in a later beta driver but that it really needs the developers to fix the CPU and GPU performance as it affects both AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards alike. But we all knew that, right? :(

9. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    yeah, thanks for info tho. They just need to get their asses together!

10. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    I would forget about the game for now and check back in a few months, it seems to be just an exercise in frustration at the moment.

11. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    They obviously didn't play the game to review it lol

Even outside of hardware related performance issue, release version had bugs that are just there for everyone, like the infamous skirmishing melee infantry AI.

I think this game and its reviews are excellent way to sort out which reviewers actually bother to play the games before reviewing.

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Very true.

Somehow I don't think the likes of IGN are going to score too highly there. They are such an advertising driven site that often are the first to publish reviews with appropriately generous scores so I've always been very suspicious of them. I remember when they reviewed the original Blu-ray release of Gladiator and gave it 10/10 for the picture quality when it was heavily criticised by more trust-worthy sites and people like myself who bought it for its excessive DNR and whatnot (enough that it was reissued by Universal with a new master a month or so later and sent out free to people unfortunate enough to have bought the original!). Maybe the reviewer was blind, or perhaps he just read the press release and based the review on that? I'm betting on the latter! :D

13. AlxFitz

AlxFitz Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970GTX
    The only negative reviews I've read were written after the games release, I don't believe some of the pre-release reviewers actually played it properly.

14. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The beta version of update #3 is now available via Steam.

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/95274-Patch-3-Beta-now-available?

http://forums.totalwar.com/showthread.php/95273-Patch-3-BETA-is-here!-PLEASE-READ-BEFORE-POSTING!?

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Total_War_ROME_II:_Patch_3

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I wonder if the campaign map will run higher than 24 fps for me now...? I'm not holding my breath, that's a fact. :D

16. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Campaign map FPS is slightly better but still bit wonky.

I'm kinda iffy on the whole ambush mechanic because I have like 6 ballistas per army and those are useless on those ambush maps.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i find 3-4 ballistae plenty. prefer to have at least a couple of cav+4 pike+rest archers+swords+slinger+peltasts.

never actually been ambushed so far...

my main gripes atm are a.i is so passive even on very hard (even with radious a.i mod) and naval invasions are fubar.

18. Fathom216

Fathom216 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia 980 GTX 4gb
    Campaign map still runs like **** even with patch 3 and latest nvidia drivers.

And is there any AA behavior flag for inspector up for this yet? Even with gfx_aa set to 5 there's lots of jaggies, and fxaa forced through driver cp causes a crash 10 min in.

19. Gaizokubanou

Gaizokubanou Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Me neither. I meant when I'm doing the ambushing, cause now when you attack marching order army, you ambush them instead of field battle with flag cap.

@Fathom216 just use sweetfx for now.

20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's using DX11 so no AA flag will work the game, unfortunately. I've read that the developers are planning on adding MSAA support at some point and, hopefully, tessellation as well as both were available in Shogun 2 and that used DX11 as well.