Zotac Nvidia 9800GT Artifacts/Display Garbled/Wont Boot (Pics)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by SuperNova3, Sep 14, 2013.

1. SuperNova3

SuperNova3 Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9800GT
    Hello Friends,
    Since this evening my beloved Nividia 9800GT Zotac 512MB ECO model has gone troublesome. Its a stock card with no overclocking or mods.

Its showing huge Bands and Abberations even in BIOS, which means there is no Driver/windows issue. At times, the card is even not being detected. Seems as if problem is amplified at higher resoluions and Display is COMPLETELY Garbled and I can't do anything.

Temps prior to this problem was around 54~61.c On Load and PC was shut down correctly the last time.

Here is what i have already done-
    Remove the card, Clean (Compressed air) and Re-seat
    Remove system RAM, Clean and Re-seat
    Fresh layer of thermal paste on GPU

The system works normally using Onboard card.
    Kindly suggest.

Pics -
    [​IMG]

Artifacts- This is best possible display at 800x600, anything above the display is a complete mess. Now since morning... the PC won't even boot with card in it. Just blank display, not even bios.
    [​IMG]
    My card-
    [​IMG]
    My PC- (Panel Removed)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Have you checked the PCIE slot on the motherboard the one in which your GPU sits? After long periods of time dust can build up there as well and all manner of gunk. I remember fixing a friends PC around 5 years ago now and I tried everything until I took the GPU out and looked at the PCIE connector on the GPU has weird brown marks on it. I cleaned that off with some kitchen roll (lol) and then wiped over the PCIE slot on the motherboard that too had gunk around the connector. Installed the card and it was running perfectly fine.

Another problem could be your PSU... have you got a second GPU you could test, maybe lend one off a friend or buy a seriously cheap one from a store for testing and then return in to get a refund ;) done that many times I have when fixing friends and family computers. The store owners hate me for it but I am within my right as its within 28 days :)

Also, that GPU is pretty old now, so maybe its just on its last legs. Check VRAM temps if you can with GPU-Z

3. SuperNova3

SuperNova3 Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9800GT

Thanks for the laser Fast reply!
    1)PCIE slot was cleaned with compressed air and a paint brush to get all the Gunk out.
    2)Im afraid I don't have one at the moment. Only Onboard chip (Im typing this post via)
    3)It could be old, but still had a lot of muscle. Also, I am not in position to buy a new card and this problem has caught me red handed (Or I'll say "empty wallet-ed")
    4)GPU-z and all are very difficult as I can hardly boot with it. once the Log screen kicks in, its all a mess. At Other times I get a blank screen (not even Bios) but ONE beep vs usual 2 happy beeps. Rings a bell?

Thanks again.

4. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Quite possible as I've had similar visual artifacts (one with a GTX570 last week) on GPU's before which have all been replaced either via a warranty or with a new card. Having the artifacts when booting is usually a sign that the card itself is damaged, either in the core or its memory.

Have you got a friend with a PC you can put the card into for testing as that would rule out any other component issues and identify if the cards damaged or not very quickly.

5. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    I hope you can get it fixed because G92 cards are still nice even today :)
    As a last resort you can always try to flash the bios of the card with a floppy/usbstick.

6. SuperNova3

SuperNova3 Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9800GT
    Thats a very sad news. I really love my card. I may try sending the card back to the shop where it was purchased.

Yeah. I've heard that the RMA replacements (If I ever get THAT lucky) is GT630 Which seems a much inferior card.
    Some people have also suggested Baking in an oven! :micro:

7. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Well looking at those images it's not looking too good I'm afraid.

Here is pretty much an identical example from my GTX 570 I RMA'd last week, which has now been deemed faulty from the company I bought it from.

[​IMG]

Had the same thing when booted into windows, it would only display 800x600 in aero basic mode and anything else just caused a black screen and a reboot of the PC.

It may be time to look for a new card...

8. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    @Megabiv wich brand was your gtx 570?

9. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    That one was from an Asus. When I built this PC oooo back in 2011 I had an MSI GTX 570 which was lasted a week before constant crashing then the same artifacts appeared. That was replaced with another MSI GTX 570 which is fine to this day (now sadly on Ebay), but has been replaced with a pair of EVGA 580's.

If you wondering why I got 580's from my 570 its a bit of a long story with water blocks, reference PCB's and faulty 570's :cry: (check my build log for the full details).

10. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Thx i will have a look into that any link maybe ? :)

11. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    Here

12. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    thx will have a look :thumbup:

13. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    If you can't RMA that card (it's an old card so I guess warranty has expired?) don't bake it in oven (micro-oven, no way!), use procedure like this: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4633984&postcount=27 ...With this procedure I've revived many graphic cards and laptop chipsets/GPU's.

Also look at this pictures I've made how to propperly do a preparation for GPU reflow:
    http://i44.tinypic.com/2hfi2p2.jpg
    http://i44.tinypic.com/6tifyt.jpg
    http://i41.tinypic.com/w0swhk.jpg
    http://i42.tinypic.com/15x21jb.jpg
    http://i39.tinypic.com/ou428o.jpg

14. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    I can confirm that baking the card in an oven can revive a card that has experienced hardware failure due to broken solder points. Make sure you properly insulate all the capacitors before you do it though.

I was able to fix my old 8800GTX this way.

Good luck!

15. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC

Quote from link in my previous post: "...there is less than 50% chance for procedure to work and you can damage capacitors..." so consider youself as a lucky guy.

Years ago I was also doing some experiments with baking in oven cards (A LOT of them) showing artifacts on screen, result: even with propper capacitos & plastic parts insulation more than half of them were dead after beaking in oven on temperatures between 200 and 250 Celsius in time interval between 5 and 12 minutes. I've learn my leason then, with procedure I've explained in previous post neither one card has died yet. Baking cards in oven is for those who are willing to risk and don't have propper tools for the job, for those who have a right tools and common sense they will do a GPU reflow with heatgun or hotair station or even better reball a GPU at local electronic repair shop with right BGA reball equipment.

16. Xion999

Xion999 Master Guru

GPU:
    eVga GTX 580
    I took about a half hour to prepare it before I did it, and only left it in the oven for a few minutes. Preheating and proper insulation is key.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If it's for the system in your sig....you won't see any difference in performance at all.

18. CrazY_Milojko

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    I don't want to argue dude but you did that on just one card, I've done that on almost three-digit number of GPUs and chipsets. I saw too many people :bang: after unsuccessful card baking in oven. Let OP decide what is best for him to do, but if that card is still at warranty it's best for him to RMA that card.

19. SuperNova3

SuperNova3 Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9800GT
    thank you everyone for truck load of replies. I'm reading them all carefully.
    the card is over 2 years old so primary warranty is out. however it has this extended warranty thingy,but I don't know what it means. problem is, I haven't registered my card with zotac for it and I don't know if I can suddenly register the product and get Warranty. let's try...

yes the machine is same as in profile. windows 7 64bit ultimate. very strong machine and used to run most modern games at 720p with medium settings.

20. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    How much did your heat gun cost?