Outlast - a new Survival-Horror game by Red Barrels Games

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by The Michael, Oct 17, 2012.

1. smull

smull Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB
    Your way of thinking about is wrong. Yes it's just a game, but the point is to suspend that knowledge and immerse yourself in the experience. If you do that, the game becomes more than just a game.

Same goes for movies, or books or whatever. If you just keep telling yourself yeah it's just a game, yeah it's just a movie, yeah its fake, then what's the point?

I had to finish DooM3 in god mode because i was so scared to play :puke2:

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Sounds like some of you entered the game without preparing to really immerse yourself. I pre ordered this game, however I am waiting until a good stormy night or perhaps after watching a horror movie or reading some scary stories..etc before I start to play this game.
    Games like these I have to be in the mood. You don't play scary games in the daytime nor after watching comedy shows on TV. Plus you have to play as if you were really this character, if you always stay conscious of it not being real then well the results should be obvious.

On a side note, I found this flash based game that is really short, really simple yet is actually pretty scary, I like the photo realism it has, kinda worth checking out. All you do is click on certain things over and over again until things happen http://www.gameshed.com/Scary-Games/The-House-2/play.html

3. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Thank you for telling me how I play games is wrong. Specially since you don't have any idea how I play them. :)

I love atmospheric and tense games. And I completely allow myself to get wrapped up in the world of a strong and well crafted game.
    If the atmosphere is there and strong, I get into them.

I love horror games, movies... shows... books. Dark, violent, creepy... unsettling. Those are my favorite forms of media. But, that doesn't mean I trick myself or anything.

There have been games I've felt nailed amazing atmosphere and created brilliant tension and dread.
    Condemned: Criminal Origins. Clive Barker's The Undying. System Shock 2... the Dead Space series, and many, many more.
    They've drawn me in and I absolutely LOVE each of them. But, I'm not scared while playing them.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Great game...Scared the **** out of Me....A must have/play game....Trust Me...

Cant wait to watch my daughter play it!........I'm recording....lol...

5. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    We need another great silent hill game.

6. M89

M89 Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 680 DCII TOP
    This **** is scary as hell! Really good game!

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I managed to turn the generator on during the weekend but, despite being a game where I know no harm will come to me physically, I still found the whole experience unnerving. I was constantly spinning 180 degrees with the vidcam to check nothing was behind and twice that monster-thingie caught me but I managed to run away (I turned the generator on during one of these escapedes!). In the end I hid in a locker and Save & Exited the game because my nerves were too jangled! I think I might just stay in that locker and never come out! :D

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    ^^Hahaha, nice one

9. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    So, the game shortcut is just lying on my desktop. I played it once, and was being chased by something on the first level. I was so afraid of those noises (max speakers gg) that I jumped out of the $%^&ing window and killed myself.

10. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Thought the decent thing to do when you're scared is to remain inside.... :3eyes:

BUT...

To each their own. Hehe.

11. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Just finished the game!

WARNING MAJOR SPOILERS YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

I thought the ending was good, despite what people have been saying. If you actually read all the documents and notes around the hospital you may get a better understanding of what is going on.

When the priest was burnt at the cross and you get the key to elevator I was hoping to god that wasn't the ending. Also what puzzled me was those two naked men were trying to kill you throughout the game yet at the priest burning scene they stand their motionless holding the door open for you. Which made no sense to me as all of my documents and notes say nothing about them.

Once in the elevator it was pretty nice to see a brightly lite underground research base with what looked like tons of ice around the walls. That was a nice surprise and transition from the dark and dim hospital. Also I reckon that was a homage to Resident Evil with the lab under the mansion.

I did think the ghost guy was a little crap and not as scary as the other monsters, but him chasing you and always behind you was a tense moment. When he killed the big fat ugly dude that was pretty epic.

But the ending was pretty good to me, he possessed you in order to save himself as you just turned off his life support machine. Then that doctor with the soldiers (WHERE THE **** DID THEY COME FROM!?) was a shock and when they shot you I was like "No way!" LOL.

Overall excellent game, should of mixed it up with some actual puzzles. But the monsters, graphics, lighting, settings, sound, music, and overall atmosphere was second to none! 9.5/10 from me! Great, just not that great!

Next game needs puzzles, more enemies, better length as this was pretty short, and maybe a coop mode but ONLINE only no stupid slip screen. Online with a buddy in this game would of been so much fun lol

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    im happy that they made the game 64bit from release.

people complaining it wont right stable on there xp machine.....lol

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  13. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    PLEASE

is possible turn OFF grain filter?

and

how set custom resolution?

in game is max . 2560x1440 but i want higher resolution. Rewrite in ini do not work and resolution is still in 2560x1440.

14. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    Asked before, 2 pages back by me..I guess yes u can somehow, like in remember me..Jonas sayd something..ill post it at the bottom..

i am still looking into it, but no luck so far..and i cant do it via TexMod, since 1. the game is 64bit, and i dont wanna use teh 32bit game exe..2. i have nbo clue how to do this, but Jonas does ;)

Greetz BetA

15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    wont steam autoupdate the exe if you change it ? or is it just checking if the file is there ?

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    who u mean?
    i dont understand?

17. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i mean if you use texmod on the exe, will steam download it again because it sees its different from the original ?
    i never used texmod hence why i asked.
    Had this problem with dark messiah where i applied the crashing fix, it would autodownload even if i unchecked the autoupdate feature in properties.

18. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, i use the offline mode in steam for that..u can also disable updates via game settings in steam..i think...

Last choice u have (is mostly what i do) i just close steam, backup the original files and use a Crack..Yes, i use a crack on my original game..It just fixes a lot of modding issues, since steam is not interacting with it anymore and u can do what ever u like with it...Please dont hate me for it, but Cracks do have a Point sometimes..

(also, Piracy aint good..just saying..)

Greetz^^

edit:

also, i think Texmod is injecting and thus, not modify the exe...i think.,.

19. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    offline mode wont work unless you disable your internet connection. it will still update and stuff :( hadnt thought about using a crack though , well let us know if you can get it working (disabling grain).

20. °L°

°L° Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    played it in 3dvision.... and i had to make breaks because it was too scary sometimes. When you see the corridor with the guy coming in 3d. You cry...
    After it, it will be the new amnesia