Final Fantasy A Realm Reborn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Blood487, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    They halted digital sales while they increase server capacity, way more people playing than they expected. Might be selling again now I dunno.

2. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Update on congestion issues:

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    blah blah, I'd love to see some numbers. How many players are playing at peak?

4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    well this morning I tried logging in at 6am gmt and there was a queue >.<

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    couldn't log in all afternoon yesterday, wasn't trying hard, but I gave it 5 or 6 times and every time it said server is full.

7. Mooshan

Mooshan Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Armor 1080
    The limit thats been set on each server is 5000 concurrent people, the queue system currently only allows a maximum of 150 i believe otherwise you get the server full message, either way hopefully it'll be sorted tomorrow.

8. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I've seen a queue of around 270 I think it capped at 300 most strange thing is being in a queue of 10 people took longer than in a queue of under 300.

Hoping things will be better after tomorrow as I just unlocked Dragoon class and about to do the Titan quest line what I've heard is a b****. im enjoying most parts of the game but really finding crafting hard to get into for some reason.

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    5000 people on each server. How many servers are there in total?

10. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    The limit was set at 5,000 people per server to maintain server stability. This is a very high number. No-one expected this level of popularity. The day after launch FF14 saw upwards of 230,000 concurrent players. These are record levels of activity. WoW set the world record for simultaneous online users in 2010 at 200,000 users with over 10 million subs at the time. Today, WoW's servers see an average of 500-650 players per server at peak. At one time, Rift saw 5,000 users total at once, peak, on all servers combined. The level of popularity that FF14 experienced the day of and day before launch aren't record setting or unprecedented, but they're much, much higher than anyone anticipated.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    do you have a link with proof of these numbers? SWTOR had 350k concurrent players, GW2 had over 400k concurrent players, I'm sure WoW would have a lot of players too, specially on expansion launch. So the 218k FFXIV players isn't anything special really, they should be doing better than they are. It's expected for servers to be iffy on the first few days, but it's a week later now and the situation is still pretty bad. I understand, but it's a bit lame making excuses like that, especially if the numbers aren't anything special, taking into account GW2 cost a cool £40+ and had more players than this £15 game. Not to mention GW2 had issues for a day or 2, after that it was pretty smooth.

EDIT: WoW was peaking around 2 million players in 2009http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/PCU-1.png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. ByblosHex

ByblosHex Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX780 LIGHTNING
    SWTOR did have 350k players and GW2 did have 400k players. Neither number diminishes the significance of FF14's 230k number. Those other games also had huge advertising campaigns and definitely fit the criterea as mainstream games. Those games also had more than 140,000 pre-orders. Try to look at the perspective. WoW achieved 200,000 concurrent players when they had over 1,000,000 subscribers. That's, what, 5% total population playing at once? GW2 and SWOTOR also sold millions of units, both achieving their high peaks only being 5-10% of their overall player-base. If you have 140k pre-orders as a basis for server infrastructure and suddenly have over 200,000 players playing at once; you're going to run in to a problem when generally speaking an MMO only sees a maximum of 10% of their total playerbase online at once at peak. This isn't Square's first rodeo either, so they knew how much server capacity and server hardware would be needed based-upon their beta and pre-order participation. As it turned out, the game became much, much more popular than the pre-orders and beta tests lead them to believe.

These aren't excuses. They're facts. No-one in their right mind would've anticipated a need for more than 5,000 players on a server at a time.

Did you even look at your own chart? WoW isn't showing 2 million anything on that chart. :bang: Unless you decide to count China, in which case you're just purposefully skewing the data. WoW's popularity in China is irrelevant to FF14's excessive popularity in the US and Europe. I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion.

WoW grabs US player record 200,000
    WoW achieves over 500k simultaneous players including NA, Europe and North Korea.
    In-addition, by 2009 WoW had over 5 years of time online & a Chinese market.

Back to relevance and reality, looking at your average WoW game server today you see an average maximum of 650 players on one server at peak. That's a little more than one tenth of the average FF14's server capacity and activity as of today.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I didn't say that to take anything away from FFXIV but it was you who said FFXIV is breaking records, which isn't true, you went as far as say that it beat WoW's record, which is far from true.

Yes, I did look at the chart, you clearly didn't. WoW east (Asia) and WoW west both have around 1 million players at the same time in 2009.

It also had a peak of 2 million of concurrent players 5 years after release, I could bet everything I own that FFXIV will be tumbleweed county in 5 years. Look, I'm not arguing that FFXIV isn't doing well, again, I'm saying that the amount of people playing FFXIV isn't that high, really, and that other games coped better even with more people playing. BTW, FFXIV being an Asian game, I'm surprised it doesn't have more players, you look at all the most played MMOs, they're all Asian.

Look, I understand that every major online launch will have it's issues, recently I was sat there at midnight when D3 launched, I was up when GW2 launched, I was there many other times. I always expect problems, there's no smooth launch, it just doesn't happen. But usually, these problems last a couple of days, 3 days max, and then the situation improves dramatically. FFXIV servers are still f*cked a week after release, and they seem to be doing very little about it. I was trying to log in yesterday (Monday) between 1pm-5pm, I couldn't even get in the queue.

Worst thing is, they're charging people subs for something they can't play, but I guess they'll be giving away extra free time to everyone, so that is fine. Ok, the first month is free, but if they don't improve things before month 2 starts, people will get peed off.

That's irrelevant. I'm talking about how different games coped with peaks. And the fact is, most of the ones that had more players coped better. Anyway, give FFXIV a year and it'll have a lot less that 650 players/server, like I said, irrelevant in this discussion.

14. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    You're missing the fact that the 5,000 person/server cap was artificially low just so that the duty servers wouldn't explode.

See today's announcement:

53 * 7800 = 413k

And the 7,800 cap is still artificially low while they test stability.

Since the subreddit and forums are still full of 1017 complainers, people are hitting the new world caps.

15. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Login was much smoother today for me after the down time, just started the paladin job quest. You get it from the guild receptionist after completing your level 30 class quest.

Also took the time to set up a few macros, working nicely especially with cross class abilities.

16. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    they still exploded anyway so not sure what your point is. Also you can't just do 53*7800 lol, FFXIV topped out at 218k players, that's official direct news from SE or was it san, can't remember now.

17. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    That was a week ago while the population caps were already in effect.

You're never going to have the JP and EU/NA data centers pegged at the same time, but each data center seems to be maxed during daylight hours in each region, even now that the caps have been raised.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, yeah, of course, the game is only over a week old, it's to be expected that there's a lot of people playing, they should have reacted a little bit faster to overcrowded servers though.

19. Cubemonkey

Cubemonkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Crossfire 7970s
    The new official max concurrent number is 325k players.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    And? It's still short of some other games lol, I wouldn't advertise that tbh. I'm assuming login servers are tip top?