DirectX 11.2 not fully supported by Radeon HD 7000 series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    A complete mess for the end-user. I know - I know... We won't see in the near future anything 11.2 specific, but...

BF4 says it uses some or one feature from DX 11.1 right? I guess 7000 series supports it? What about Geforces?

Imagine the confusion in the future... unless we buy new, fully DX11.2 compliant GPUs later.

What a mess by MS... And I suppose this is happening in order to push the failure -Win8/8.1.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  3. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    What? Mess by MS?
    This mess is because of the hardware vendors (AMD and maybe nvidia) not making up to standard GPUs.

4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    That's how they're going to push HD9xxx and Win 8.1

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Nice try micro$oft.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, not saying it is but if the article is correct then it sounds like AMD messed up while Nvidia cut corners.

People are just annoyed and maybe even worried that their newish GPU's will end up being beaten by on paper much slower console hardware.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Assuming the article is correct....

It has nothing to do with the GPU....at least for AMD. For AMD, it's a driver issue that can be corrected. AMD's HD7K and HD8K series GPUs are fully DX11.2 compliant at the hardware level, as is standard. It's AMD's drivers that are non-DX11.2 compliant.

NVidia, on the other hand, will require a new GPU for DX11.2 compliance for those that actually care. For those only interested in playing the games (or sticking with Windows7), neither case actually matters as there's unlikely to be any DX11.2 games in the near future.

IF the article is correct, MS made changes that will require a new driver from AMD for full DX11.2 compliance. Microsoft made changes that were unexpected.

NVidia did cut corners though....but ask yourself this. Do you really care that your bright, shiny new 600 or 700 series GeForce card doesn't fully support DX11.1 (which Win7 doesn't fully support anyway)? For those sticking with Windows7, this is a non-issue as currently DX11.2 is slated to be a Win8.1 only feature. Given the market share of Windows8, I don't see where NVidia cutting corners on DX11.1 support is really a make or break issue.

8. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'll take more notice when DirectX 12.0 is announced otherwise these minor incremental improvements are of little interest to me. How many games used DirectX 10.1 for example (or even DirectX 10.0)? And while Microsoft are bigging up DirectX 11.2, how many DirectX 11.1 games have we seen, eh? ;)

Typical of Microsoft to just take something that should be simple and straight forward and turn it into a potentially confusing mess for buyers of graphics cards. It seems to be something they do these days with worrying regularly...

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Lol, im not sure some of poster have really read the article or understand something to it.

- AMD is fully 11.2 hardware compliant, a change in the code have been made by MS on a specific feature ( dont know what feature is really touched by this " feedback routine " on the code ), AMD will need update their software.

- Nvidia dont support hardware level of 11.2 ( not even 11.1 on current generation ), and sadly some 11.2 features require hardware level for work, maxwell is another story ofc . Apparently, Nvidia will need to change their software too for this " routine ".

Ofc, if the article is really right, because even the title is completely missleading at this point...

It happend all the time, final specification change from the roadmap and require software update for work fully with the API ..

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    And lets not forget only 5-10% is dx11.1 -11.2 hardware based, rest is in software.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Shove it, Microsoft.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True it does say the hardware is ready, but something along the lines of AMD made a wrong assumption, what exactly it does not say……but hopefully it’s not also wrong to assume this can be fixed with a driver update.

With Nvidia I do think it is of some importance as they released the 680 a good 3 months or so after the 7970.

Recently I’ve moved both my HTPC and gaming partition over to W8, as well as being a few days into testing 8.1 on the HTPC one.

It’s important for me as while I have my eye on 9970 I might just pick up a couple of 7970’s instead, or even a 780 if the price is reduced by about 25%.

DX11.2 might not be important at this very moment, and based on the how DX11 has been for the last 4 years I don’t blame people for laughing this off, but the release of the XboxOne will change how many multi-platform games are developed and I would rather know the full story before spending any money on a new GPU.

13. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    There is not much to worry about here. We won't see 11.2 titles right away now will we?

We still need DX 11/11.1 titles to surface once these new consoles arrive.

There are a select "few" features that mean nothing that 11/11.1 cards do not support in 11.2.

Nothing to break the game.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    the mess is cause MS is trying to pull this ONLY this OS can support this DX version again. and cause the consoles if they dont support no point in pc cards supporting it cause 99% of dev wont bother add the support. most people arnt even using the os that does support it

15. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont know why peoples want enter the window8 only question, as this is absolutely not the subject.. and continue to quote a post who was allready out of the subject anyway.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    This statement should clear things up quite nicely...

Of course, this is still based on the assumption that the article is right (or translated properly by Google....)

Even with PS4 and Xbone supporting DX11.2, don't expect developers to rush out games that support it. We'll still be seeing DX9 ports for a while. Best case, we might get a few DX11 or DX11.1 ports from companies under "Gaming Evolved"....but TWIMTBP studios are unlikely to deviate from DX9/10/11 as NVidia doesn't offer proper support.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't know about that, unless your saying either that the new consoles won't use 11.2 features or that the PC version will be a last gen port and be inferior technically compared to the consoles.

18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I bet that the only thing we need is new drivers and windows 8.1
    No need for newer cards..

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I doubt there will be any DX11.2 games coming with the XBone at launch. I'd expect to see DX9 and/or DX11 games at launch. Especially since AMD has to rewrite their drivers to properly support DX11.2.

For AMD, yes. For NVidia, you'll need a new card. None of NVidia's current cards properly supports DX11.1.

20. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025

You guys sure complain a lot about Microsoft. I think they've been more than fair in the way they've supported/not-supported features over the years as new versions of Windows is released.

In all honesty, you should be thanking them. They could just as easily treat their customers in the same way Apple does with its OSX releases. On multiple occasions, Apple just flat out told every customer "time to buy a new computer AND all new software, We're switching to PowerPC"... then a few years later... "Oh... buy buy again, switching to Intel. None of your hardware or software will work"...
    Now they've made the transition to UEFI boards which prevents anyone with anything but the newest Mac from upgrading past Mountain Lion.