Choppy downloading packets

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Clerity, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^LOLOLOL. Buddy, you have no idea who you're talking to. Just like you have no idea what RSS is, as I knew you didn't.

Actually you don't seem to have much idea about anything at all, yet you still act like u know everything when asking for help. What gives?

I think you're just bored and wasting time here, as someone already mentioned.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  2. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I don't know everything, I'm a novice as you can tell. Being slandered for my lack of knowledge is irritating. You have a lot of posts and perhaps you do know a lot, yet I have done nothing to you and you insist on insulting my issues. I know what I've tried, I do actually know a fair amount about computer hardware but nothing about networking, I know the CPU helps to speed up the process but has no actual control over how the network functions.

This isn't a troll and I'm not bored, I've tried everything within my knowledge to solve the problem, I wouldn't have come here if I hadn't. I've posted what I've tried and I will repeat it: I've swapped WLAN adapters, I've tried a wired connection, I've re-installed the OS (clean), I've updated the LAN drivers, and the issues still occur. I am trying things that people are recommending, insulting my intelligence helps no one. If you don't want to help fine, but why start a fight on a topic I genuinely need assistance with?

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Pill, dude, you really need to calm down. There's really no reason to start a fight here.

@OP, have you compared the network adapter settings in your PC vs. the settings in other devices (e.g. laptop) that are working with no fluctuations?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Post count doesn't mean shlt dude. Only reason mine so high is because 3 days a week I have to do boring onsite support where I spend all day surfing the net until an employee breaks something. Then I get to work.
    It sucks but it's part of my contract. Rest of the week I'm on the road doing field work.

Anyway people are trying to help you so maybe give them what info they ask for.

Btw packet loss happens all the time, it doesn't mean there is a problem.

I still don't get why you think something is wrong, u say packet loss and low fps. Well neither of those actually means a bad connection.
    I asked for line test results already and you said that wasn't the problem. How do u expect to get help if you don't give us the info we want or need?

5. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    Yeah, they're all connecting with 802.11n with the same connection speed (130mbps)

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Excuse me? I'm very calm and not starting anything thanks.

It's quite frustrating trying to help someone when everytime u ask for info they say "oh no it's not that it's something else".. If they knew they would not be asking.

I have to go anyhow bye,

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is why i refuse to work in the field of computer repair anymore, When I did I use to tell people just leave on the desk, Any time they felt to need to tell me what they think was wrong i told them to stfu cause i didnt want my brain to hurt from the stupid that came out of them it was source of frustration and so much more. People that can stomach this i give props too.

Though I did get kick out of this

Really has nothing to do with it? With out that cpu your computer is nothing more then paper weight with out it your pc wont work let alone your network..

MY guess is he has DPC latency issue on is PC playing havoc with his system.
    I would use Latmonitor 5 and see what is says

Also low FPS has nothing to do with your internet unless said game is a MMO then maybe.

8. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I did state it was Online games I had issues with. And I don't see what you're on about with the CPU, I said it has nothing to do with handling your network, not it was a useless component. As for the DPC latency..Pingtest..and Speedtest see below.

The point where it hit yellow was when I ran the Speedtest. (DPC Latency Checker)

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  9. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ^ So after seeing those results, whats the problem? You have a decent ping and good line quality. If you want to game on that, I would definitely upgrade the service as 4MB is not recommended for online gaming.

10. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I hovered over the download speed to show the graph, that represents pretty much what happens. My actual download speed is around around 40mb wired and 20mb wireless. But when playing any online games or downloading something, I will either run perfectly for a second and then freeze and run again and freeze (with games). Or when downloading it will go from 3MB/s to like 10KB/s and then go back up and repeat. It does not stay at 3MB/s like my laptop does, it constantly drops to near nothing download speed.

If you compare that speedtest graph to me laptop one below, you'll see the difference in graphs.

Laptop. Graph is steady, whereas desktop graph is sporadic.
    [​IMG]

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    You're wrong. Unless you're using a server NIC, CPU has a LOT to do with networking. Most consumer grade network cards work very similar to integrated audio chips where the CPU handles all the processing. Consumer NICs also use RAM for send and receive buffer. Receive Side Scaling allows network processing to be more equally distributed across available CPU cores.

As I said before, data transfers are not stable. Data transfer rates will always fluctuate to some extent.

Also, as Pill said, "packet loss happens all the time" so there's no point in claiming that you have zero packet loss. It's going to happen. It's a normal occurrence with the internet.

Now, I'm going to suggest you try something a bit out of the ordinary. You can either try it, or not. Makes no difference to me.

Change your DNS settings. Only on the PC having issues. Use the OpenDNS IPs

Second thing to try...
    Intel EXPI9301CTBLK $27.99
    or
    Intel I210T1 Gigabit Ethernet Card $68.99

The I210T1 is a new product. The EXPI9301CT is an older product but it's the best consumer NIC on the market. The next step up would be the EXPI9400PT, which is an entry-level server NIC. All 3 of the mentioned NICs support Receive Side Scaling and hardware flow control...which means reduced CPU usage and overall better performance compared to integrated NICs.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it has everything to do with your network, CPU controls everything including your network

13. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I did change my DNS settings previously, I'll see about the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK. Worth a shot at least.

I have a question though, I've had that desktop for a year now and this issue first popped up out of nowhere last week, what could cause such a random issue?

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
  15. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I downloaded that instead and ran it as well, there is quite a bit of red. I don't really know what to do with this information however.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. Also one or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:12:50 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name: TERRY-PC
    OS version: Windows 7 , 6.1, build: 7600 (x64)
    Hardware: GA-970A-UD3, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor
    Logical processors: 8
    Processor groups: 1
    RAM: 8173 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed: 3624.0 MHz
    Measured CPU speed: 1354.0 MHz (approx.)

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 3524.370966
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs): 12.404096

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 2251.257644
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs): 4.457267

MEASURED SMI, IPI AND CPU STALLS
    The SMI, IPI and CPU stalls value represents the highest measured interval that a CPU did not respond while having its maskable interrupts disabled.

Highest measured SMI or CPU stall (µs) 11.301494

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 1349.404801
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%): 0.112584
    Driver with highest ISR total time: dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%) 0.325019

ISR count (execution time <250 µs): 2186385
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 10
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 1
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1193.099614
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%): 0.464579
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time: USBPORT.SYS - USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%) 0.969382

DPC count (execution time <250 µs): 6076341
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 1076
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs): 6
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs): 0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs): 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count: chrome.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults 2946
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process: 476
    Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs): 32975.453642
    Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%): 0.018703
    Number of processes hit: 14

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s): 72.900237
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs): 1349.404801
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s): 7.214852
    CPU 0 ISR count: 868706
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs): 948.128311
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s): 15.731521
    CPU 0 DPC count: 4229769
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s): 42.135641
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs): 229.111203
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s): 0.979127
    CPU 1 ISR count: 102942
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs): 940.699227
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s): 3.445811
    CPU 1 DPC count: 134284
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s): 32.125934
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs): 301.269868
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s): 1.063478
    CPU 2 ISR count: 108039
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs): 816.029249
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s): 4.031566
    CPU 2 DPC count: 165346
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s): 33.443322
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs): 242.242826
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s): 1.499216
    CPU 3 ISR count: 153087
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs): 633.572020
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s): 5.498789
    CPU 3 DPC count: 268803
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s): 26.867873
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs): 250.629967
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s): 2.480899
    CPU 4 ISR count: 265726
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1066.321744
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s): 8.403407
    CPU 4 DPC count: 335445
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s): 69.256779
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs): 266.744757
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s): 4.739137
    CPU 5 ISR count: 475052
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1134.473234
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s): 14.688893
    CPU 5 DPC count: 572475
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s): 43.320912
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs): 273.281457
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s): 1.008517
    CPU 6 ISR count: 105415
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs): 752.727649
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s): 4.164802
    CPU 6 DPC count: 227552
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s): 39.208234
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs): 215.061258
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s): 1.056339
    CPU 7 ISR count: 107429
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs): 1193.099614
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s): 3.810017
    CPU 7 DPC count: 143749

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    RTL8111E is garbage. It's a low-power, software based NIC. Realtek produces some of the worst network chips on the market. Unfortunately, they're also the most popular due to being extremely cheap. If you want a real NIC, always go Intel or Broadcom.

Hardware failures generally are sudden. Being a software based NIC, it's rather difficult to determine exactly what went wrong. Realtek doesn't provide the diagnostic tools that companies like Intel and Broadcom do.

With the Intel EXPI9301CT, read up on what each setting does. Intel is very generous with configuration options. Some settings will increase throughput while sacrificing latency while some will do the opposite. The default settings are purely for network stability but with the right settings you can increase performance without any sacrifice.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    latency is too high for some reason...as is your hard pagefault count... Those need to be fixed before you do anything else.

Update your USB drivers....

18. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    I went to Gigabyte's website and all they had were drivers for my 3.0, not sure if you meant 1.1/2.0/3.0 or whatever. Wouldn't know where to begin finding anything other than 3.0 anyway.

19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    They should be packaged with the AMD chipset drivers.

20. Clerity

Clerity Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW ~ 2GB
    Alright well after updating to the latest catalyst chipset the usbport.sys is no longer a problem, Highest execution is .318

Now the problem appears to be with hard pagefaults in the processes, searchprotocolhost.exe and searchindexer.exe are basically what's causing the hard pagefaults.