FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Yeah i'm not looking to spend that much on it because this will be my backup rig. Going to my brother when i complete my 3570k rig. Which will be the most expensive rig i've ever tried to attempt. Wanted to go all out for once, no worries a very nice setup. So i'm looking at this:

Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
    16Gb of DDR3 2400 GSkill tridents CL 9
    Corsair 800D
    780 SLi or 9970 CFX depends on how well the 9970 competes if it ever comes. I was going 7970CFX but the card is still 300-400 and is 18 months old now :3eyes:

Mayhem's Green pastel based loop
    Primochill LRT advanced
    EK blocks for CPU/GPU CSQ
    360mm on top, 240mm on bottom
    haven't decided on res.

It's going to be very expensive but i just want kinda go all out for once.

Anyhow back to the AMD situation since Streamroller was postponed yet again, i saw 15$ off the 8320 and figured there was no sense in leaving my brother with Deneb when 4.0 is easy to hit on PD. Also the future is already looking bright for AMD gaming wise, it's looking like they're going to get a much need boost in performance across the board due to securing the next consoles, so my brother should be in good hands come next December.

The PS4's Big Challenge

Essentially states what we all predicted Devs are about to be forced to make games truly multithreaded which is great for both camps.

Lets hear em :) Did i fabricate this or is P95 useless for the FX processors? I thought i read that p95 would render a stock FX unstable due to something or another.

2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I do make mine prime stable, my 4.86 is. Well I ran for 12 hours, Only time my overclocks have BSOD after me gettin 12 hours on prime was on boot up, twice, Ive never had it happen while using. But it does take time to get it that way. I also read some people gettin crash after 20 hours, but I read somewhere this guy figured out it was superfetch, He shut down and it stopped doin it, It just depends how your gonna use your machine. I just prefer gettin prime stable cause I have alot less chance of gettin a BSOD, at least from my expeirence. Anyhow sweet doin that Intel, if I had the extra scratch I'd do one to bro, but like Pill Mon said you should be good with your cooler and 8320, hes got 1, he'd know better than me. Cool BS'in with ya bud, Peace [[Im also permantley screwed up cause of my back, 3 surgerys, fused disk's, yadda yadda, so I have the time on my hands to do it, P95]]]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hey Pill Man , What King Hyper X do you have? The Predator or Beast? And do you like it? Was lookin at some. I liked my old stuff KingHyperX T1 1600, few years ago now in wifes machine with my old 965. Anyhow was lookin at some faster sticks, but was wonderin if the bigger timings was worth the trade off? Im runnin my sniper @ 9-11-10-28-38 1T 160ms. Got it clocked 1:4 @ 1944 with those timings. Just researchin and checkin before I pull trigger, got 40 bucks in newegg account [gift card] waitin to get spent, plus what I add.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have 3 rigs with Genesis, T1, Predator and Beast.

The faster ram (2400) isn't really an advantage over say 1866 right now, but it could be in the future with new CPU's.

Before you decide have a read of this Xbit labs review of HyperX, especially this page where it talks about the chips on 1866 T1. :nerd:

[​IMG]

I had some of the 1866 T1 black.......overclocked to 2400 but both sticks failed after about a month. Luckily they come with lifetime warranty so replacing them was easy.

Something to think about if you want to try and save some cash.....

The HyperX stuff has Hynix IC's which are good overclockers, but the 2400 doesn't have a lot of headroom. 2600 is about the OC limit and 11-12-11-24 timings.

The 1600 Genesis were/are awesome overclockers too. Been running for about 1.5yrs trouble free.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thanks Pill, the article review answered my questions. interesting actually.

6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hey Pill [if your around] , what would be the difference between a regular bios for motherboard or gaming bios [beta] what would they change for it? Just curious as to what difference would be. Other than memory or cpu support, googled my azz off and cant find answers. Theres afew updates for mine, my board still has original 1.00 first bios, and I know your pretty knowledgeable, Im workin fine, voltage is a little bouncy but im stable, just curious if would be to my benny to update, I know if it aint broke dont fix, but I know sometimes they do stability stuff to them. I emailed asrock but who knows if they'll answer.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^No idea sorry mate, best to ask Asrock....

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    SOK bud, just thought you might know.

9. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Well i flashed to 1604 on my elder sabertooth (decided to call the original that lol) and played around for a bit, set my memory on 1866 and auto timings which had them at 9-9-9-24 got BSOD :( i set them back to what i had been running them at 1600 7-10-8-27. No problems.

Went ahead and clocked to 4.0 on stock volts. Gamed all night with no problems lol it is definitely relieving some bottleneck that Deneb was causing. GPU usage on BF3 stays at 70-90 and i don't drop below 50fps while looking at the entire map on karkand. Hell in areas that aren't terribly filled i'm getting a steady 90fps. On Grand Bazaar running in the 100s :D. Crysis 3 GPU usage is at 99% i actually display driver crashed while playing it, though i'm going to write it off as a weird instance because i've played metro and tomb raider for hours with my OC on my diamond.

For 145$ this was hard to beat. I'll be stoked if it passes 10-12hrs of P95 on stock votls. So far i've hit 52C according to HWin64 Coretemp for both the vishera rigs i've put together seems to be around 10C higher than what Coretemp reads. Damn Hyper 212 barely clears my 250mm side fan on my thermaltake Armor. They need to cut those copper protrusions on the end. That's the reason i couldn't get it to fit in the NZXT source 210 i had for a friend.

10. iafro89

iafro89 Member Guru

GPU:
    7900XT
    Just ordered a Sabertooth rev 2, and I can't wait to mess around with it.

11. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    [​IMG]

About to hit 10 hours :D

12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Really guys, update your Prime95's and make sure to grab the 64-bit version. Latest one is way better optimised for latest cpus.

13. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    That is 64-bit though i doubt it's the latest, grabbed it from the mirror at EOCF.

14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I just think its funny when I see guys say that prime isnt right because they cant get there FX stable. It took me some time, but its not primes fault .. lol And then it still takes some tweaking. I got my 4.8 stable but wasnt playin my baseball right, I had to bump some voltages for that, so even if its prime stable doesnt mean its really right. I basically used mt baseball to get HT and NB voltages really right. I was gettin skips or hesitations in game till I did. Anyhow good job Blackop's. I find it kinda fun, because there so many different combinations you can run. I also found it a big help backin down HT for stability, I didnt lose any frames at all in games, but I'm usin V-sync too. Just my 2 cents. Peace guys.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    10hrs of P95 can't be good for any CPU....

16. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    How do you test for stability? I used to not be satisfied until i got 24hrs stable. On the plus side never got above 46C

17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    25.11 is pretty ancient.

18. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I figured that much lol. Link to the latest? Would the latest stress the 8320 more?

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The latest one supports new instruction sets like AVX and it is way more stressful. In case you have recent Intel with AVX, the diference can be closer to 10c. They do not use AVX for AMD cpus in Prime because of performance reasons (runs actually slower) but no doubt that the newer builds are better optimised for new AMD cpus as well.