27" pls, 29" ips or 120hz 1080p?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Deleted member 216176, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah gaming is quiet in the summer, its always been this way since the old days. Most of the big releases come out in Autumn/Winter, maybe wait until then.:)

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Will do, hoping it comes by the end of this week. I just got a message from them saying they have finished testing it and it will be sent with DHL within 24 hours :)

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    So I asked Accessorieswhole about their Perfect Pixel policy stated below (link to the Qnix QX2710 at accessorieswhole):
    This is what I asked them:
    And their reply:
    Awesome.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The U2713H arrived. It's manufacturing date is Nov 2012 but it is revision A03. So far compared to the HM...

1 - It looks the same except it has touch buttons, a sensor, an SD reader, more inputs and the logo is shiny but despite that the build quality seems superior, even the stand is much better.

2 - No crosshatching and I haven't seen any stuck/dead pixels yet.

3 - The colour is so much more saturated and capable of being so much more saturated. This will help a lot when it comes to setting accurate colours at lower brightness. It has many more colour calibration options so getting the colour perfect should be possible.

4 - Bleeding, bleeding everywhere, but still not enough to bother me.

5 - The bad - I hope it's my imagination, an optical illusion or the source but the colours are completely off between the right and left side. I'm going to open up photoshop to check if the colour of what I'm looking at is uniform or really is different.

Edit: Nope, it is all one solid colour, so it's either a colour uniformity problem or a colour shift or both.

Edit 2: Wow, the "Uniformity Compensation" setting actually fixes 90% of the problem. Now I'm wondering if I should just be happy with this "almost" good monitor or exchange it again and hope to get a perfect one considering it's freakin' $1041 before taxes.

Now if someone could help me install FirePro drivers to get 10 bit colour working that'd be great - http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=380214

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    DHL have updated the tracking status as "with delivery courier" so hopefully it will be here today.

Can't wait to get this unpacked and fired up :)

Might need to see how far I can push the 7970 to cope with the higher res....

Anyone know where I can find a cheap Spyder or any other tool for calibration?

7. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    So it's here and all setup. Got time to get up and running last night.

I've managed to get it to 120hz (thanks for the guide Veteran) was really easy.

Loving it so far but haven't had time to game on it yet, but might see how things go after the footy finishes tonight.

[​IMG]

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    No bad pixels, super bleeding, or bad uniformity?

After all the trouble I went through it turns out that having the Uniformity Compensation on disables your control over settings such as brightness and contrast and it cannot even be enabled in colour spaces (Adobe, sRGB, etc). The manager I was dealing with said take a refund and send the monitor back and that they wont send any more replacements unless I deal with the technical department instead. New department, new manager, new U2713H on the way. Jesus Christ how many do I have to go through before I get a good one?

The interesting part I was getting to: They said as of 3 business days ago they now have a revision of the 2713HM that no longer has cross hatching. I asked them if they can assure me they'll send one of those without the cross hatching and they said they can't. That's why I requested another H, I'm not gambling on whether or not I get a new revision HM.

Let me assure you guys I'm not being OCD about it, the colour uniformity is non existent without the compensation setting, it's red on the right and green/blue on the left very heavily.

9. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    So far so good, haven't had a lot of time with it yet though so will go through some more tests over the next few days

10. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    You have had so many bad monitors i would just ask for a refund at this point.

Good stuff, nice to see you got a good one:)

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Umm why don't you think of something else at this point? Ask for a refund.

12. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    :) my tempest has finally arrived.

will get to oc'ing and tweaking color settings in a bit.

ps: my stand doesn't tilt, just locked in position.

*edit*
    got the tilt sorted out. after talking apart the stand and loosening two bolts that allow tilt.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  13. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I did plenty of research and short of ordering one of these Korean or Overlord monitors there aren't any options and I sure as hell can't beat the value if I get a perfect condition U27. $550 for a U2713H, impossible to beat that. It's been a loooong wait, but when it's finally over I'll have a damn good monitor for years.
    Isn't the tempest's stand supposed to be fully adjustable including portrait mode?

14. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah.

The issue was my stands tilt was locked slightly forward.

After removing the stands backplate and loosening the bolt/nut on the sides it is now able to tilt as advertised.

The monitor is great so far, no dead or stuck pixels and BF3 looks awesome.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  15. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Thanks Veteran, after spending a few more days with it I've found if I leave it at 120hz for too long things start to go "funny" on the screen (scrolling isn't smooth and things kind of "bounce" when scrolling) so I've moved it back to 110hz and haven't had an issue yet :)

I've thrown a few monitor tests at it and still can't find any dead, stuck or bright pixels so that's good.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Interested in trying this test at 120Hz and see if it's actually receiving 120Hz?

You need a camera at a certain shutter speed slow enough to show as much squares in succession as possible (to a certain limit, no need for too much) but fast enough to actually show the boxes lit (a box stays unlit for most of the time - a slow shutter speed will show it dimly lit or unlit).

If a square is missed, this means that the monitor is dropping frames - an interesting behavior if it happens at 120Hz but not at 110Hz (the monitor still accepts the out-of-range 120Hz signal).

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Check the policies I have mentioned above for a certain seller. No dead or stuck pixels guaranteed with their pixel-perfect monitor.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Their policies are garbage. Their "pixel perfect" monitors have no real warranty, they promise to pay $5 per bad pixel if you pay $50+ to get a "perfect" one and none pay for return shipping. Overlord currently don't even offer "perfect" ones.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Yeah you didn't read my replies then.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Good stuff, i just leave mine at 100hz 24/7, and i set a custom flag for all games in Nvidia inspector for 99hz ( to help decrease input lag) and it works great:)

Here is the settings in my inspector CustomSettingsNames_en-EN.XML
    This is for 99fps and 109fps

<UserfriendlyName>99 fps ( might improve inputlag on vsync 120Hz )</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF0000063</HexValue>
    </CustomSettingValue>
    <CustomSettingValue>
    <UserfriendlyName>109 fps</UserfriendlyName>
    <HexValue>0xF000006d</HexValue>

Yeah i tried that and all is good, sometimes i get 101fps when set at 100hz so no hz is lost:)