AMD Catalyst 13.8 BETA (13.200.0.0 July 23)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Aug 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I've tried that the day I installed it and did nothing :(
    Anyways, I'm back to 13.6 Beta 2 and everything is smooth again.

2. spekgat7

spekgat7 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7950
    Some bad differences between Catalyst 13.6 and 13.8

Crysis 3 - Every second or so game startup the framerate runs at a very uneven 25 fps (regardless of VSync on or off), while it normally runs at a smooth 70+ fps. Only a PC reboot solves the problem.

Far Cry 3 - Microstuttering in many places (in middle part of game). This is so with VSync ON and the framerate capped at or just below 60 fps. Without VSync is causes more tearing than usual. With 13.6 the game is totally smooth with VSync.

Also, v13.8 installs .NET Framework v4.5, and I suspect it has some problems in Win7 x64. A lot of desktop actions (including opening CCC or applying CCC profiles), are MUCH slower than with v4.0 of the framework.

Lastly, they reinstall .NET v4.5 even if you already have it installed, which is a bummer, for it causes two instances of "mscorsvw.exe" (32-bit and 64-bit) to remain resident and fiddle about (using CPU). I think it precompiles .NET Framework programs in the background, which takes a LONG time to settle. They should TEST whether a user already has v4.5 and then install it only if necessary.

3. VMax Tuner

VMax Tuner Guest

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 3090
    Hi, since not having installed Crysis 3 right now I just wanna know if the "Very High"-Texture issue is still present?

Cheers! :cheers:

4. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    I can no longer use vsync with bf3 couse 60fps feels like 15fps. Its giving me a headache. I tried a framelimiter locked at 60fps and the game feels very smooth but there's some horizontal lines apearing on the screen. Does anyone know what im talking about and is there any way to fix this?

5. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Apple M2 Pro
    It is. :(

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks for the tip mate, but I'm back to 13.6b2 now without a single problem. I do run Aero anyway, so it wouldn't be the right solution for me.

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Full driver uninstall and go back to an older driver. I suspect it's the drivers.

8. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    AMD driver uninstall utility and reinstall drivers.

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I found Crysis 3 to be smoother and FarCry 3 to be even smoother.
    Do NOT use Vsync if you are capping fps to 60

10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    why not?

11. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I found it to cause more stuttering (and low fps in heavy graphics games), not worth the small tearing you will experience if you cap the fps. I cap the FPS at 120fps though, even though my screen is 60hz.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    In some games I have to use vsync though, like GW2, it tears like crazy and vsync is the only way to fix that.

13. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Haven't played Guild Wars so I cannot offer advice on that. But I suggest you disable it in more graphic intensive games like FC3, Crysis 3, tomb raider 2013, etc. Mainly DX11 titles.

14. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Ah atleast im not the only one then. I know reinstalling my driver wont fix this couse it happend with all the previous drivers. Guess i'll stick to vsync for bf3.

15. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Maybe there was a corruption with a previous driver and now it sticks to the new setup. Maybe wiping and reinstalling will fix it?

16. Coldblackice

Coldblackice Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3
    How many other people are having mouse problems? When/How are they occurring?

Is there a tangible performance difference between either using vsync or capping the framerate?

Why would using a frame-limiter and vsync at the same time be bad?

17. SlackerITGuy

SlackerITGuy Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE Radeon R9 Fury
    Well with just limiting your framerate, you wouldn't get the infamous drop in FPS as with VSync (with no triple buffering) when your FPS dips below your refresh rate, but then again, the smoothness VSync brings is unparalleled IMO, unless you're gaming at 120Hz/144Hz.

And capping your FPS under VSync (refresh rate - ~1) is just for shaving some of the input lag created by VSync.

18. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Vsync will lower fps if you cant do 60+ fps to 30fps, thus reducing smoothness considerably, though you will not have screen tearing.
    Frame limiting will reduce a bit of tearing, increase smoothness but it will not reduce frames if you can't reach 60fps. But some games work best with Vsync and others work better with frame limiting. Sometimes its about trial and error.
    All this considering you have a 60hz monitor.

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Have you never heard of triple buffering?

Try BF3 with VSync on and limit FPS below 60. Tell me what happens.

20. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    Triple buffering was never an option for me as it reduced fps quite a bit. Now that I have a higher end car I should try it.