First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. J.B.west

J.B.west Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce GTX 660ti

MS must think we all have glass LED monitors and tons of baby wipes at hand
    Windows is now fail IMO

2. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    So, will 8.1 be released today or is it postponed? I see different dates on various sites ranging from today to "end of 2013".

3. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    OEM version is Sep or Oct, RTM is going to be announced in late August say Wikipedia.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Doesn't Windows 8.1 use WDDM 1.3 whereas Windows 8 uses WDDM 1.2? Also, there are apparently a number of improvements to the Modern UI interface, including more fleshed out apps and better tile management from what I've been reading so I will certainly be upgrading to 8.1 when it is officially released or soon after. Windows 8.1 will also be the only current version of Windows to support DirectX 11.2 but that's in itself is hardly a reason to upgrade on its own.

My only concern at the moment are the incompatibility issues I'm hearing about but then Windows 8 already has its own over Windows 7, e.g. upside black & white videos playing in older Techland games such as Nail'd and Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood!!!

5. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    They both work fine in Windows 8, just it on compatibility to Windows 7.

6. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I really like Win 8 but have to admit when it was first released i used it for a couple of months and had to revert back due to issues with my soundcard.But until now overly happy with it.My second system stil runs on Win 7.
    So looking forward to 8.1 altough a shame the start button comes back but thats my opinion.Lots of alternatives for people that still want the start button on win 8

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yes, Nail'd and CoJ: Bound in Blood both play perfectly fine in Windows 8 but the loading videos, cutscenes and the ones that play in the background of the main menu screen are black & white and upside-down/flipped horizontally for some reason. Although, I have not tried Windows 7 compatibility mode, I understand from reading several forum threads on this issue that it does not work. However, I will try it.

Newer Techland games such as Dead Island: Riptide and CoJ: Gunslinger do not have this issue though on Windows 8 so it looks like the developers fixed it.

8. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It took me a while to get use to Windows 8 too. But as soon as I learned all the all the shortcuts and whatnot, I really can't see myself going back to Windows 7. The 8.1 preview has been pretty decent too. Can't wait until it finally gets released.

10. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I find myself using windows 8 more then windows 7.

plus I been watching alot of netflix while doing things, so I use stardock modernmix and use the netflix to watch my programs.

the netflix app is better then using web browser.

better picture and louder sound.(sound volume always seemed to be a problem with netflix videos) but the app doesnt have this problem. and nvidia video settings work with it. unlike when using a regular browser.

also use the chat app to talk with friends.

skype doesnt let me leave messages through facebook. instead it wants to send text to there phone

11. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Finally someone is saying good things about Wnidows 8. most people don't want to go move to Windows 8 because it don't have a start button OMG it's the end of the world lol. they are too lazy to format there Windows 7 & move there data over to Windows 8. when I was on Windows 7, I rare use the start button at all.

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I run Windows 8 as my main OS now, but if it was not for StartIsBack, I would be running Windows 7

Having a decent start menu, & disable Metro & Local account = Windows 8 is a good OS with many advantages over 7

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  13. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Same here used startisback in the beginning but after a while i was so used to browse trough metro to find an app,so i uninstalled startisback and never looked back.Altough sometimes when i shut my pc off i admit that my mouse points into the left corner of the screen but then i realise alt+f4 :nerd:

14. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    That's one of the good things with the start menu with 8.1 You can right click on the windows logo and shut down the PC that way.

15. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    I don't want that anymore alt+f4 FTW :banana:

16. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    They should release some kind of servicepack in wich you could select the extra options you want or don't want.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wikipedia isn't a very trusted source for such information. The entire site is user editable and there's no requirement for any posted information to be verified prior to being posted.

18. NvidiaFreak650

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
  19. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    RTM = OEM btw and until MS officially announces RTM you can take articles like that at InfoWorld with a grain of salt as MS has missed deadlines in the past.

20. The General

The General Guest

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
    As a gamer, there is no point in installing windows 8.1 or 8 in general is there is no difference in game performance compared to windows 7.