ASUS dissapointed with Windows RT

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Asus Jonney Shih has made some crazy bets over the years — teeny-tiny laptops, phones that turn into tablets, and even a seven-inch tablet that can be held to the ear to make pho...

ASUS dissapointed with Windows RT

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Who isn't disappointed by Windows RT and even 8 in general? Asus and I believe Lenovo are even making hybrids with Windows 8 in traditional laptop mode and Android for the tablet mode .. says a lot.

3. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Windows RT is a bastard child that should never have existed in the first place. They should have bundled a full fledged Windows with basic office and an Atom CPU for the low end Surface. Sure, user experience wouldn't be great, but it would be a damn sight better than the Tegra 3 combined with a Windows that can't run Windows programs nonsense. Not to mention the fact that it just added to consumer confusion.

Microsoft needs to drop Windows RT and offer a refund to those that bought it. Sure, it will be a hit, but a rather minor one considering the bad press, consumer confusion and partner dissatisfaction. With Bay Trail right around the corner, now is the time to do it.

That, and drop the 32-bit Windows once and for all. For gods sakes, nearly every CPU shipped in the last 7 and a half years has been 64-bit bar Atom (which doesn't even really matter at this point, no one upgrades a Netbook OS). Nip 32-bit in the bud and lets move on already.

4. NAMEk

NAMEk Guest

GPU:
    Gainward/GTX560/2GB
    Microsoft has so much bad press, i don't think they can be considered worse than they are.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Microsoft simply don't seem to be able to do anything right at the moment and that even extends to their Xbox One console, which they seem to change their policies on on a daily basis following its poorly received unveiling a couple of months back. And what a really dumb name too from a company that shied away from calling their Xbox 360 the Xbox 2 because they felt people would think it was inferior to the PS3! Add in Zune, Windows 8, Windows Surface, Games for Windows LIVE, all relative failures that you have to wonder what is going on with Microsoft. Bad management and a failure to understand the market? Or are Microsoft trying a bit too hard to be the next Apple? Let's face it Apple are cool, Microsoft are not and probably never will be at the rate they're going. I think that is why I think they're strugging in markets outside of traditional Windows (and even that business isn't doing so great now).

Personally, I think Windows 8 is fine but only because of the third-party Start8 app I use. Without that, I think I would have gone back to Windows 7 within a few weeks as the Modern UI is a mess of simplistic, barebones apps and inconsistent design which feels horribly jarring when switching between those and the superior desktop version of the app. The Start screen really should have been an option but then if it had been then there would have been no real reason to upgrade to Windows 8. I mean I only bought it because it was cheap to do so (£40).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  6. Vtech

Vtech Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Actually I'm changing my opinion since I've been forced to use Win8 at my job, since that day I actually update my home PC to Win8 to. One of the best features I found and convinced me to use it is the search feature, witch is very well done (congrats to MS), This is the only thing I use the Metro UI, but made a shortcut do direct use with this path:

"C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{2559a1f8-21d7-11d4-bdaf-00c04f60b9f0}"

Google search you can even put a fancy icon.

Combined that with the WinKey+X and I'm done no need for the start button.

With the search feature, I practically have no icons on desktop because is so more fast to do a search than actually find the shortcut.

The direct ISO mount to virtual CD drive, nice no need for 3rd party software.

I think people must use it first and then make their opinions, sure I don´t like to start with the Metro in my face, but this will be addressed as Win8.1 is out.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Another thing with Surface RT and Pro that I never got, and whoever dreamt this up should never be hired again, was to sell the touch keyboard separately at an insane price. Every single advertisement showed the touch keyboard as part of the system and when people went into stores to check it out and learnt that the touch keyboard is a friggin $130 (WTF!?), they immediately went to check out the cheap laptops and tablets.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It does have an older brother though

Windows RG

9. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    The problem is not in Win8, but that it's a new ecosystem. There are very few apps, and because Windows Store apps don't work on Win7, almost nobody makes them. So you buy a pretty device that looks interesting, but is lacking features.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I think RT would have been successful if:
    1. They marketed it horribly. It was not clear to the average user that there was a difference between RT and Pro and that RT could not run all the same apps.
    2. Way to expensive for what it was. Make the tablet $199-$249 and either include the keyboard or sell it for $50 at max.

Windows RT really is a great alternative to the iPad but at the price they were selling it they never had a chance.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I think one problem with Windows8 is that Start8 which should not exist. It creates more problems that it solves (does not solve any).

Windows8 is nice on normal desktop, but damn it's awesome on Surface Pro (or with touchscreen). Been using one for few weeks now. Love this thing. :)

RT then, atm it's priced quite nicely, but lack of knowledge about what works and what does not makes people not to buy it. Been thinking about buying Surface RT, but I dont think my soundcard would work with it and dont want to buy new one. Would be great for browsing the internet, listenning music, some Office and so. Has awesome battery life also. It's tempting.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If MS did this make the price of the Surface RT between $200-$300 bucks then make the pro around $400-$500 then they would have consumers buying them without a 2nd thought. I would have bought a surface pro if it were $400-$500 bucks instead of $1000 bucks. Because the price of a surface pro is close to a price of a decent laptop or ultra book most people would just go for the ultra book.

The thing wrong with RT is the lack of software support due to over pricing and even with a hacked or jailbroken Surface RT you could only install only a few more apps such as Audacity and dosbox are the ones that I know of off the top of my head.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Windows RT was made before Intel even had comparable products that could rival ARM in terms of battery life. Windows RT imo was a great idea but poorly timed and executed. If they didn't place those stupid restrictions on Windows RT, then RT would have been more successful.

As for dropping 32-bit versions, a lot of enterprise users would not be happy about that. Also, not all Intel Atom CPUs are sold as 64-bit ready, some are still 32-bit parts. There's still a good amount of internal enterprise software that are a mix of 16/32-bit components (I worked at a company who's stuck with XP due to incompatibilities caused by the security of Windows Vista/7/8. They also have a bit of 16-bit code left, they're in the middle of a rewrite when I was there).

I don't think 32-bit will be dropped until say Windows 10.

deltatux

14. NvidiaFreak650

NvidiaFreak650 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    $250 for a Windows 8 RT sound just right but it fail due of the price not the hardware.

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree about the Enterprise users not being happy if 32bit was dropped because there is an occasional app out there that business and enterprise users use such as old accounting software that will not run on 64bit nor a XPmode virtual machine/PC.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Me too, I've seen far too many businesses using Windows XP for their Accounting packages. I don't blame them though, they're interested in getting their work done and the operating system does nothing for them beyond launching the program.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Zune wasn't exactly a failure but in timing.
    It was a good product backed with a good service and plans, but it was released when people were too entrenched with iPods.
    If it were to be launched these days, I'm pretty sure it would gain traction more than it had, riding on the 'I had enough of Apple' wave.

If anything, Microsoft has a habit of releasing things too early ever since Bob.
    *inb4 'releasing too early' innuendo*

18. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    My desktop has been empty since Windows Vista thanks to the start menu. On Windows 7, the only thing on my desktop is the recycle bin.

19. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    This. I bought a Zune HD and it is in every way better than either iPod Touch I have (2nd and 4th generation). The only thing the Zune HD does not have is bluetooth which kind of sucks because I can't stream the music to my car radio.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Microsoft knows full well what Intel has in the pipeline, they work quite closely together (hell, their offices here in Haifa are actually touching...). Intel had plenty of Atom's even before the Tegra 3 era that would have fit the bill quite nicely. Microsoft wanted to try to get in the ARM space but instead of pricing the product normally, it tried to go the premium route and even priced it above the iPad, a major no-no. Everyone in the industry saw the death of the Surface RT the moment it was released as it was.

Which companies do you know that upgraded to Windows 8? Like you said, almost everyone is still stuck on XP and are just starting to migrate to Windows 7. The 64-bit in that case, is a non-issue. By the time most companies decide to upgrade again, Windows 11 will probably be here.