First look at Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by alanm, Jun 6, 2013.

1. blitze

blitze Member Guru

GPU:
    Power Color 4870 1GB PCS+
    Liking the preview, once I got it properly installed. Upgrade from Store sort of worked but was giving me audio services issues. Decided to do a fresh ISO install instead.

Interesting enough, had to use given ISO Product Key when I did ISO install but was able to change it afterwards to my legit Windows 8 key and activate. I would be assuming that this would be the issue with the RTM upgrade from the preview for Microsoft. Time will tell.

Right clicking the start button on Task Bar brings up a good many useful options and also the new layout in Explorer, "This PC" has everything nicely on hand.

Still had audio issues with ISO but wondering if it is due to my use of AMD 13.4 WHQL drivers which might clash with HDMI Audio Driver and my RME Babyface USB audio device. It's a little flaky but can be worked around with a boot up by disabling AMD audio, unplugging the Babyface then clicking audio icon on taskbar to start audio services. Finally plugging back in the Babyface. Hopefully sorted with more recent updates/release.

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    does anyone have problems installing autodesk 3ds max 2013?

in windows 8 and 8.1 preview . it wont install on the main drive. it would be half way through installing and then give error saying unable to write to folder.

if I tell it to install to different drive. the install goes fine. but then thats taking up space on that drive.

I dont have this problem in windows 7.

3. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Try running the exe in Windows 7 compatibility mode

4. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    They made tiles smaller, but brought back the clickable button. A step forward and a step back.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    my sounds not working right again with windows 8.1

6. Waylander

Waylander Guest

I've just installed it on a .vhd, dual with my 7 install.
    I tried it back at launch and hated it.
    just spent a few hours playing with it and I'm definitely more impressed now than I was then.
    Still a few irritations around the way it looks, but once you've got it set up, it seems pretty good. Either give us a proper start button back or don't bother, the current thing is a pain. Using start8 but that doesn't seem to be working properly, or maybe that's just me.

Gonna jump back and forward between it and 7 for a while, see if it can persuade me to move across fully. Although I see no great reason to move as yet as 7 still ticks all the boxes.

7. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

This goes down as one of the most stupid 'features' ever. You already have that button on the charm bar.

In fact, if I dragged a shortcut t the start screen onto my taskbar, I would have created the exact 'start button' they are touting as a 'feature'.

I know its been said a zillion times before, but why oh why did they not release a full desktop version with a proper start menu and no metro ui? (or at least have it an an optional add on).

Most people are very happy with Win 8 in general (performance/stability etc), but they ruined it with the stupid metro UI (or should I say overlay).

I personally use Classic Shell, and find it brilliant. It makes my Win 8 the version I wish MS would release as standard for desktops.

8. SacredKnight27

SacredKnight27 Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They didn't release a version with a start menu because that feature is being phased out. For good or bad, that's the mindset, that they're moving on from it. Its the same reason why they didn't incorporate an optional Program Manager feature in Windows 95. For features that are being purposely phased out, an option to use it anyway is rather counter-productive to their marketing scheme.

9. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

Program manager was unneeded, and was a product of the old tiled Windows environment. It was REPLACED by the start menu.

The start menu is a very functional and integral part of the windows environment (on a desktop). To phase is out has more to do with stupidity, and cross platform support than any marketing requirement.

The Start Menu has NOT been replaced. The Metro UI (or overlay as I like to call it) is just a clunky effort to try replace the Start Menu with a tiled UI. If anything its a HUGE step backwards.

Sure, its touch orientated, and for that environment (phones / pads) it works well, but NOT a k/b + mouse environment.

Removing the Start Menu has caused nothing but uproar from most Windows users. Thankfully there are 3rd party solutions, but they really should have left it in when you switch to the desktop mode, and give users the choice.

10. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The start menu was a "make or break" item for me. Had they incorporated the start menu, I'd still be running Windows7.

Windows95 did in fact have Program Manager. Simply had to change 1 line in the config.sys file to switch from explorer to progman.

Metro isn't "clunky" at all and works just fine with a keyboard and mouse.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

11. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ sykozis - Ask 50 different people what they like/dislike about Windows 8 and you'll find that the Start screen crops up every time with some liking it and others not. I think it's fair to say that opinions on the Start screen are split right down the middle.

Personally, I find it useless, mostly because the Modern UI apps such as the email, calendar and the IE browser are so barebones and lacking in features that I find them frustrating and ditched them for the superior desktop equivalents. Having been using Windows 8 for nine months now I feel that the basic operating system works fine - I especially like the quick bootup and shutdown times - but apart from seeing the Start screen at startup, I seldom use it and instead find the Start8 menu to be far easier to use. If I'm on the desktop then I don't have to put up with that jarring switching between fullscreen Modern UI apps and windowed desktop apps either.

I agree with others that the Modern UI is so clearly designed for touchscreens and doesn't work nearly as well with the mouse and keyboard. I defy anyone to tell me that swiping down with the mouse while holding down the left mouse button feels like a more natural way to close an app than clicking on X in the top-right corner of a window? Again, it just emphasises how the Modern UI and desktop interface feel like two different operating systems. There is no consistency between the two at all. You certainly can't do everything you need to do on a PC only from the Modern UI interface either but you certainly can from the desktop as long as you install a third-party Start menu program.

12. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Maybe stupid question but do you have to upgrade to win 8.1 or can you just stay on 8 and also get updates or you are forced to update to 8.1 when its released

13. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Why would you not want to update to 8.1?

14. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Because i'm so used to 8 now again and i don't miss the start screen etc,haven't read all about 8.1 and its new features due to very limited time and allot of work.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It isn't very different to be honest. I am using the preview version, and the only thing different is the inclusion of a start button, but it leads to the metro screen anyway.

16. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Oww ok is that it not much difference then thx :)

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's not very different. no. MS only added the start button so some people don't get confused and think they are using Linux or something. ;)

18. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    If i may ask are there also no performance decreases or does it just run the same as basic win 8 :)

19. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    More performance increases if anything. Haven't noticed much improvements, or anything worse.

20. weasel

weasel Guest

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    ok thankyou very much for the info :)