Samsung and Panasonic working on 300GB Blu-ray succesor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    100 GB blank blu-ray discs are $55 here. so I can only imagine how much a 300 Gb will cost. But this is good news, more storage is better.

3. SetsunaFZero

SetsunaFZero Active Member

GPU:
    Msi 980Ti 6G
    srsly they are mad. The production yield of Tripel Layer BD's isn't rly amazing and now this, just loool
    The industry should just drop the mpeg2 code for movies, i've seen quite some BD movies that are still using mpeg2 -> waste of spaces

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Agreed, especially considering it's not difficult to get a 720p movie to fit in a single-layer DVD. The problem is the processors of the players. A single layer Blu Ray could easily play 1080p without murdering your hardware.

I think Blu Ray was a necessary format but the cost of it pretty much dug the grave of optical discs. I'd gladly have bought a blu ray burner for backups if it was more cost effective than a 1TB hard drive. Aside from the reasons mentioned in the article, optical discs are nice for backups because:
    * They're dirt cheap (or supposed to be, not sure what the excuse is for Blu Ray since the manufacture process is very similar to DVD)
    * If the capacity is high enough, they save more physical space than other media. Think of it like this - if you have a 300GB disc and get a 100 pack cake box, that's about 30TB of data in a pretty small area.
    * The higher capacity discs have very reasonable write speeds. For archiving, seek times don't really matter.

I'm not sure where tape drives stand today, but I feel that magnetic storage doesn't belong in this decade.

6. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
  7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im not sure, but dont have you do an error, have see some article about this, and all said Sony + Panasonic, not Samsung ..

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm sure this is strictly for storage purposes at this point. If they try to replace Blu-Ray movies with these discs this soon nobody will buy them except the extremely rich. Unless they find a way to make them compatible with current blu-ray players.

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Title is Samsung + Panasonic, but the body of the article is about Sony + Panasonic. Something is wrong.

10. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Depending on the price, I like this as a viable option. I dislike Cloud Storage (although it is convenient) and don't trust it fully, so I'm always backing up my data at home anyways.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    1000 terre bytes on DVD?? sound great but i seem sadly what i see happening is they will market the dvd disc as something else are charge more. love the idea though, would be intresting to see how fast they could write to that size

12. Raider0001

Raider0001 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7900 XTX Nitro+
    1TB HDD is still cheaper than 1TB of bluray discs so i think 300GB SSD will be cheaper than 300GB discs in the future - that is amazing progress where silicon chip is cheaper than plastic or is it that they want to rip us off ?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
  13. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    It's explained quite clearly in the article that the main purpose of the 300 GB disk is for long term data storage. They are not trying to put a super duper ultra mega HD mpeg2 movie on that disk

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm quite concerned with the state of peoples mentality lately...every new "sweet, they are working towards getting us more advanced technology" is attacked with "Yeah, ok, like that's reliable, cheap, etc. etc. etc.", negative upon negative upon negative feedback. Seriously, whatever happened to the day that new more advance technology was every nerd/geeks happiest days?

15. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    the thing is, for me at least, i dont even own a disc burner anymore, well there is one in a dusty box, they are useless for me, you can buy and download things online without the hassle of going to some damn store to get an overpriced piece of **** optical discs should go away for good, they only want it because they think they are fighting pirates and maybe feeling better selling "phyisical" things

well im sure skidrow and these guys are ripping all games off their discs, not steam

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    http://www.dailytech.com/Quick+Note...or+300GB+Optical+Disc+Format/article33054.htm

17. Ji1986

Ji1986 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    300GB on a single Disc is impressive, however i would never use it as storage.
    External HDD, NAS and servers are all my preference to be used as storage.

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Im still waiting for the 5TB discs from 2007

19. chilly willy

chilly willy Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    I just wanna see flash get dirt cheap and global average internet speeds to ramp up like 10x then we can all tell optical storage to suck it!

I haven't used optical media in YEARS! minus well the occasional console game or **** where its the only choice. even loading legit windows .iso files i put that stuff on a flash storage device i haven't like burned a cd or dvd since i was in like 5th grade in the mid 1990s or so.

its cool to see advances but the faster it becomes less necessary the better.

20. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe