AMD Catalyst 13.x (13.150.100.1) OpenGL 4.3 Beta Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jul 23, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB

Actually, I'd put the game/app devs at blame tbh. There's little reason to add extra OGL support in drivers when there's no software - there are many other issues that they should be fixing first. (although its probably not too complex to add the supported extra features, its all software anyway).

The devs can always include backwards compatibility (like DX) so even if you dont have 4.3 support, the game/app will just run with the newer features disabled.

There'll always be an argument to support each side though, its kinda chicken & egg.

2. Valagard

Valagard Guest

That's, kinda silly

Videocards launch with new DX revisions and support the standard fully, and there is absolutely -ZERO- games out for that DX revision. Hell, ATI cards support DX11.1, where's the software to go with that?

This was more just along the lines of ATI/Nvidia not caring until pressured.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nope Nope Nope and a little more Nope.

The drivers you get with your Toshiba laptop, either preinstalled ones, or newer ones that come on Toshiba's site will be generally much much older than ones release by AMD. As third party hardware manufacturers tend to take their time uploading the lastest drivers on their site. Either way your GPU is an AMD and therefore the drivers that Toshiba or any other company upload to their site are FROM AMD. They may test beta drivers before uploading them or generally stick to only uploading WHQL drivers. Either way, you would be better off installing these as they are the very latest drivers released so far, if you have any troubles then go to AMD's site and download the official WHQL ones. The same goes for other hardware inside your laptop too, like your processor. Always get your drivers for the manufacturer of the hardware not the manufacturer of the laptop as they just source the parts from each company and stick them together.

ps/ sorry for the long post lol got carried away.

4. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Not really, stating you support some new dx features has marketing benefit - hence they'll be implemented first if the hardware + drivers can support it.

For the most part, its a case of 'who cares' when it comes to OGL support on a gaming orientated product.

5. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

And where was this officially stated at? I am aware of some beta drivers from AMD being stated to not need CAPs, but I've heard nothing for these drivers.

No idea, but this would be a really awesome feature. Might have a chance at gaming on Linux with Wine :p

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The 13.6 beta drivers should have the latest CAP's included already though you should of course install newer versions as they are released.
    (And there's no harm in installing the 13.5 CAP1 either.)

EDIT: Or I could have been wrong and 13.5 CAP1 was the newest, whoops. :p
    http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/ati-catalyst-profiles/

EDIT: Although I guess this is now the newest if it has a profile file included with the drivers. :)

7. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    This forum looked a while a go like this. Is my card broken, is it firefox or just the drivers?

[​IMG]

8. ClockClocker

ClockClocker Master Guru

GPU:
    970 gtx
    this looks so ****ed up that i doubt the card is broken. Guess it'S a driver issue.

9. Dublin_Gunner

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Thats DEFINITELY a card issue. Its what happens when your card is clocked too high, or the on board memory is fooked.

10. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 280X 3GB OC
    I'm getting some serious graphics errors in Firefox as well with these drivers ... not even remotely as bad as miiksu but a lot worse than the occasional squares one is getting with all the previous drivers.

There are other problems with this driver as well - once it blanks the screens to save energy it won't wake back up until either rebooting or going in and out of full system standby.

Even the 13.6 beta 2 drivers were a lot less buggy than these. (Windows 8 64bit, HD 7850)

11. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    There's a know problem with HD 7xxx cards and Firefox. AMD blames Mozilla and Mozilla blames AMD (because only some of AMD's HD 7xxx are affected and no other GPUs) and nobody bothered to fix anything ...

... these beta drivers definitely make the problem worse. I haven't seen miiksu's level of corruption, but after some uptime and intensive Firefox usage, I have seen black tabs, misplaced and distorted textures etc. with these beta drivers - instead of the "usual" occasional squares with the previous drivers.

So, no, I wouldn't be nearly as certain that this is a card issue! Especially since it's a known an relatively well documented problem:

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=837489

The drivers also suffer from the same idiotic clock rate bug that previous drivers suffered from: Playing hardware accelerated flash videos temporarily overrides any manually set clock rates in AMD OverDrive - this only causes a performance impact when it comes to the GPU clock but can cause some serious problems when it comes to the abrupt and clearly unintended change of the memroy clock, especially on multi monitor systems - causing the type of corruption miiksu is reporting and ultimately crashes.

This isn't an "overclocking" issue either, any manual adjustment above or below the official BIOS settings of the memory clock + hardware accelerated flash video cause serious issues.

The hardware is fine, it's the drivers that are a total mess, though ...

12. caleb59

caleb59 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070 8GB
    Yes I can also confirm this problem but in my case this issue is not caused by newest AMD Open GL 4.3 drivers, problem occured earlier on older AMD drivers - Firefox looks like s*** on my HD 7850 card - instead Firefox I installed Chrome because of this "artifacts issue" and all looks good now...

Just read my old thread: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=377483

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  13. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Indead... The other time, a Firefox developer told me AMD driver is causing random memory corruptions and this is the reason we see these artifacts.

I got the same screen when I woke my computer up while Firefox was running.

An other solid way to get blue squared artifacts is to press Ctrl + B, open the side bar and start scrolling up-down with mouse wheel ( given you've enough bookmarks in order to able to ).

14. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Guys, seriously, i would like to have problems like you, i'm looking for bugs over internet and trying to reproduce them. Almost all bugs i can't reproduce. The same goes for problem with firefox under hd7xxx gpus.

I have hd7790, installed this driver, installed firefox, browsed few websites and i can't find any rendering issue in firefox, everything works fine.

15. ubysm1

ubysm1 Active Member

There's a huge abundance of different configurations out there. You're not suggesting that your own PC represents every single hardware configuration out there are you? I've personally experienced several driver fixes in the past year via AMD driver upgrades that were very much dependent on the rest of your hardware.

16. freibooter

freibooter Active Member

GPU:
    1. The bug is known and was officialy confirmed by AMD!

This is the official response:

While AMD shifts the entire blame to Mozilla, this should be taken with more than just a grain of salt - AMD has a history of simply denying to be at fault for certain issues (for a shockingly long amount of time they even tried to deny that microstutters even existed) and only certain AMD GPUs are affected and the symptoms change slightly with different driver releases but not with Firefox updates.

"Browsing a few websites" is not sufficient to reproduce this. There appear to be some websites that trigger it on certain configurations (Facebook's chat appears to always be affected for some people but not others, including myself). It takes rather extensive usage to ever see the corruption under normal circumstances for me.

However, there is one way I can always reproduce it rather quickly: running a GPU based Bitcoin miner like http://guiminer.org - after a couple of minutes with that tool in the background my Firefox starts to look like swiss cheese.

At the same time I can run a Furmark stresstest in parallel for ages without noticing any impact on Firefox.

I don't even think that all HD 7xxx cards are affected. The Pitcairn versions of the HD 7850 and HD 7870 are confirmed to be affected, though.

17. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

If anything, I want OpenGL to be improved on Linux. I'm somewhat hoping AMD snuck some OGL fixes in :)

18. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

Has anyone checked/tested if this driver includes promised new memory manager for single GCN cards (to combat stattering in various games caused by uneven frame times and spikes) and frame-pacing code for Crossfire?

driver is dated Jul 16 (or 17) so it's quite new/recent and should already include these fixes if they were promised to be delivered by Jul 31..

19. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    even the 31 jul driver will not be complete it will mostly aim at 7990

all crossfire setups are gonna improve on august drivers, just wait...

current driver is weak, nothing new, only ogl meaning useless, no improvements

20. zbaic

zbaic Active Member

so July 31 driver won't contain a new memory management for single-GPU GCN arch cards?
    If not, when can we expect it? In August (beta) drivers, or later ones?

what's your source for these claims, btw?