Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. AudigyMaster

AudigyMaster Guest

GPU:
    nVidia Quadro 3700M@1GB
    The latest .infs are listing 105 sections, in each you will find specific configurations for the correspondent core model. The kernel driver(.sys) is indeed unified, but each section contains the necessary registry keys and dlls to register and copy to the disk so that the drivers can adapt and enable/disable/optimize functionality only available on that device.

There is the possibility to just install the kernel .sys bare bones, keeping the hardware working normally. The additional registry keys installed by the section areas of the inf files are solely to regulate the way the kernel driver works. The same with additional .dlls, which add features like CUDA/Physics and CUVID. It is possible to add those features in a more generic fashion way, which will work but may not deliver the same optimization/performance/stability. That is why "universal" .infs are possible, which doesn't mean that they are the best solution.

The PCI IDs can not change because they are located in the VBIOS.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Hm. I'm not sure what to think about that. I've never, ever, seen a driver partially install using universally made INF's or doing it myself. I'm not sure what to tell you man, only that what you are doing is unnecessary, and I'm not about to add a bunch of pointless steps to the guide for nothing. I'm sorry I can't give a better explanation why changing the section numbers does not need to happen, I just know that a partial install has never happen without changing it.

3. AudigyMaster

AudigyMaster Guest

GPU:
    nVidia Quadro 3700M@1GB
    Why you don't have problems is simple. You don't know about them unless you have visible problems, which can make you blame the driver erroneously.

As I said previously, the .inf files contain around 105 independent sections, using entries like the ones in your list without checking the correct section in the particular .inf will make the installer using a section attributed to other core model. Since the G82s with the implementation of SPs, some functionality became unified across a wide range of models. That explains why things may work at first.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that you want to keep this tutorial as simple as possible, but people should know that your way is not the way nVidia intended this to work.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Oh no, I mean it took me a while to understand what you were trying to tell me, but I get it.

I'm still not sure about it though, I understand your example, but I'm simply unaware of a problem ever happening from this. From anyone else or myself. Here is my thinking-
    (and this is especially important since 'googling' around does nothing for such a specific topic like this),
    if problems were to always happen without changing the section number I would gladly edit the whole guide to instruct how to do it properly, if problems were to only happen maybe... say... 95% of the time I would edit the guide to simply mention it as a disclaimer.

But I don't have any of that. No evidence of a problem, no proof. And while I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense in my head, this is honestly the first time I've heard of it- for all I know editing the section to use one of a similar card may do absolutely nothing. I'm simply being skeptical, no offense to you.

Last edited: May 9, 2013

5. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    My laptop has Gt 650M and I already install quadro driver for laptop ok but when I restart the system, the screen can't be turned on so I must enter safe mode to remove it. Anyone has clue for this card?

Thanks

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not sure. Does it do this with every driver you modify?

7. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    I tried to modify quadro drivers for desktop and laptop and got same problems. Should I change some things else more from post 1?

8. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I just updated the stings and ID's but I doubt that is going to change anything for you.

Hm, maybe try a clean install if you haven't?
    You could try http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=379506 to clean your current install if you want, then try re-modding the INF just in case you did something wrong.

9. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    I always use this tool for a clean installation. I doubt the problem comes from the vendor Samsung. I'm using Samsung laptop.

I install the driver successfully (it said successful and finish) but when i restart the system, it could not boot into windows

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I have no idea man. If you are only doing what the guide says (which is a lot safer than using an INF someone else made since you know only the two lines you added was the only thing changed) then all you are doing is simply telling the installer to install the driver.

I wasn't blaming the vendor, but now you got me thinking. It's common for laptop drivers to be locked down (at least it was when I owned a laptop with a nvidia gpu).
    My last suggestion is to try the drivers on here http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/123-nvidia-video-drivers-and-tools/ they specialize in installing drivers on laptop GPUs. Just download the driver there and copy over the INF they have for it.

11. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    I'm downloading and then replace all the inf file by the one in this driver. Thanks

12. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    I replace all the INF files by the one in the Drivers form the link u sent but It said not compatible. My own modified INF make the installation successful but After restarting, I cannot boot into Windows. Black screen appears so I must keep pressing the power button to turn laptop off then enter safe mode to remove the driver. I have no idea. I want to install quadro driver on the GT 650M for CAD and Revit.

13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm at loss then. BTW the inf's that site makes are meant for the driver posted with it, some of those are quadro drivers though.
    Well I would not worry about it though, installing a quadro driver does not give you the capabilities of a quadro card, it will not affect those applications.

14. t2k

t2k Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GT650M
    Not really, my friend used your instruction to install Quadro Driver on GTX 650 in his desktop. The performance is improved so much in rendering 3D in 3D Max, equal the Quadro 4000.

These result we got

the system

CPU :AMD FX 8320@4.0ghz (Stockfan)
    Mainboard:Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
    Ram:Gskill Jipsjaw-X 2*4gb 1333 cas7
    HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB Sata3
    VGA to test
    AMD Firepro V3900
    MSI Nvidia GTX 650 TI OC 1GB ( 128 Bit ) DDR5
    Nvidia Quadro 4000
    PSU:Seasonic X650
    Moniter Dell 2209WA (1680*1050)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All screenshots are here

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6a0444xm5ehkwo1/Kết+quả.rar

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  15. Tenken

Tenken Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Due to periodic driver crashing issues with nVidia's 32X.XX drivers, I attempted this method to install 314.22 on my GTX 760. While not officially supported, I had heard of users rolling back to 314 on 700 series cards until the 32X drivers got themselves together.

It worked fine immediately after install - unfortunately, after restart, I only got a black screen after the windows logo and had to do a system restore. This was after a completely clean install. Know any way around this, or am I stuck using the 320 drivers? Alternatively, are you aware of any fix for the 320 drivers crashing periodically?

EVGA GTX 760
    Windows 8 64 Bit
    Intel 4670K @ 3.4 GHz

16. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No, and no.
    I have no idea if the 700 series users are doing anything different to install the older driver beyond what I know about modding the INF. I suspect they are only doing what the guide says, which leads back to no, I don't know why it's black screening after a restart. I can only suggest to what I told 't2k' to do, pretty much in the order I told him. Start with things like doing a clean install using a driver cleaner and such.

And naturally, as you probably suspect, I don't know how to stop the new drivers from misbehaving. Totally NVidia's fault, if I knew how to fix it I would be using them. :)

EDIT one thing you could try when using the newer drivers is uninstall windows update KB2670838. Causes problems for some people.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  17. Tenken

Tenken Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    Thanks, I'll try uninstalling the update - know where to go digging to uninstall that exact one? It's not something I've had to do before.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You know how to get to add and remove programs yeah? Go there, press installed updates on the left, look for KB2670838 and uninstall.

19. Tenken

Tenken Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 760
    I have no update of that number installed, so it can't be the problem. I'm trying 320.49 again, if I get the freeze again I'll try 314.14 instead of 314.22.

If that still doesn't work, my options seem to be either wait out new drivers for 700 series cards or return it and go with an AMD card of similar price/performance, but I haven't researched AMD cards quite as much. Any idea how long it could take for nVidia to get new drivers out?

20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If your windows 7 (if you use 7) is fully updated you should have the update, maybe you missed it?

Drivers come out a whole lot more often for geforce GPU's so it shouldn't be that long until a new driver comes out. I hope that fixes your problems.