Anyone here interested in the Oculus Rift?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by lmimmfn, Jul 25, 2013.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I dunno, im just curious, Guru3D is hardcore on gfx and the rez of the rift is a bit crappy in that context( currently ), but are people interested in what it feels like? i have a rift, have to say its the best gaming peripheral ive bought.

What do you guys think? will it take off? is it another '90's VR fail?

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Oh yes, can't wait to get one. Mainly for Arma 3 and Star Citizen :)

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Not in the least.

4. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Only if developers are, otherwise it maybe a waste of time.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I'll take it if it's free. Won't pay for it though.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yea I have my doubts, unless its with the Omni treadmill then definitely NO! Apparently a lot of the people who tried it get mild to extreme motion sickness either whilst using it or after using it. Also unless I can use either a controller or a mouse and keyboard at my desk I will never ever use it. Even with the Omni they use a crappy light gun, and they are using Kinect 1 so its pretty limited in terms of sensor hardware.

Maybe Oculus 2 or 3 when they fine tune it even more and it won't cost an arm and a leg... and also a kidney to purchase. Heard rumors of just the basic headset costing around £900 and then Omni on top thats around £2000+ erm... no thanks.

7. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I've been saving up and putting of a new monitor purchase for it. I'm crazy excited for it, I just wish they would give a firm release date already.

8. LadiesMan32

LadiesMan32 Guest

GPU:
    R9 Fury Nitro Crossfire
    I would love to get one but i dont think id be able to afford it for a while. But we'll see, would seriously consider it if the majority of new games would support it.

9. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    At $300 a pop for a higher res version I'm in for two on release.

10. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    Waste of money. Then again, some ppl around here are stupid rich with new 4-5k rigs every year so.. Anyway, unless I win the lottery I'll pass on this limited use toy

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    If I can't do more than play video games with it, I have no interest.

12. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    i've tried it with the developer kit, i can see advantage for it but for gaming i think im gonna pass on it for now. may be the consumer version will be different after it's been polished but after 10mins of it, i get motion sickness like my stomach is turning. the feeling when you're not used to riding roller coasters and wanna puke.

13. play2lose

play2lose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 X Diamond 7970's
    I've had the dev kit for over a month...and I can say that it is the best thing that's happened for gaming in decades.

The hype is all pretty much real...when you put it on you're not looking at a screen...you're INSIDE the video game.

Not sure why you guys aren't more excited for this?! Of course the current dev kit is pretty low res but that will be fixed with the released version, and even with the current resolution gaming is much better with it than on my 37" TV.

The first few days I used it I did get that motion sickness, but you honestly do get used to it. I can use it for hours now running full speed in a game and feel fine. It just takes getting used to. It's something you definitely have to try to believe though, it absolutely blew my mind when I first put it on and "looked around" in Tuscany. It's also amazing actually being Gordon Freeman :infinity:

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It can be used to watch 3D movies as well right?

15. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    It will go the way of the Segway unless the developers can scale it down to be more like pair of swimming googles (the one piece kind, not two piece). Until then, it is overly expensive, too bulky/heavy and way uncomfortable to wear even for a full 1.5 hour movie.

For my money, a 4K Ultra HD monitor/TV is more practical than that thing. If I want surround, I would get triple screen lightboost monitors with TrackIR for ARMA 3.

Not even remotely interested.

16. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So $10,500 worth of monitors, another $2,000-$3,000 worth of graphics hardware to drive them and another $150 head tracker just to get a fraction of the experience of a ~$300 dollar device.... logical.

How the Oculus rift is overly expensive I will never understand when you talk about what your comparable setup would be. It's a friggin 400 gram device (final consumer version will probably lighter) that is strapped and balanced to your head. My friggin headphones are 350 grams and are just simply that.

In any case, this is what the final version is supposed to look like (with a 1080p screen):

[​IMG]

17. Sneakers

Sneakers Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce
    I am looking forward to it getting released, wether or not I will buy it depends mostly on the resolution for each eye, I am not going back to 720p but I want 1080p for each eye.

From what I seen from War Thunder and TF2 it seems to work pritty well, and very handy in flightsim games.

I am a graphics whore though and won't sacrify IQ for cool gadgets.

18. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I am looking forward to it as well, even if I do not know if I will buy the first version I will definitely keep an eye on it and hope that developers will support this and enhance games for it. If it goes well, we will see a lot vr glasses in the future. :)

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow VR finally arrived....better 20 years late than never I guess.

Does it support VS (virtual sex)? :D

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  20. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Upgrading
    Lol yeah i'm with you.