27" pls, 29" ips or 120hz 1080p?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Deleted member 216176, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Guys, if you haven't tried already, grid 2 at 1440p is AMAZING, im running at 110hz and its so damn smooth. Lovin it.

2. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Stop killing me :cry: I'm joining you guys soon, I hope.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    We'll have to hold a party to welcome you to the club!

PS: I get my wee' toy back come Thursday.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Wheeee! *throws 1080p monitor out of the window*

To be honest, first post in this thread, I thought: "What was OP talking about? 7970CF overkill for 1080p?". But now after I've had time to test things, 7970CF is truly overkill for 1080p. I'm having to raise MSAA just to try and get one card down to 30s FPS so that two get me 60FPS.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013

5. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Which monitor you getting?

Also does anyone know if the Overlord does a matte version? I can't find one only one with an AG coating. Is that the same?

6. have you looked at overlordpc.com Honoured?

pretty sure theres an AG and non AG version but I don't think they do a matte as such. Strongly recommend NOT getting the AG man.

and yes 7970cf is way overkill for 1080p. Granted at 1440p I only run 2xaa now rather than 4x or 8x like I did at 1080p - I've not noticed much, if any fps drop at all aye.

this monitor really does showcase what 7970cf is really capable of :) think im in love.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I think AG is the same as Matte, if you are unsure put a post in there shoutbox or make a thread in the Overlord forum.

Ok here is my second review....

As for my Tempest Overlord im very impressed with it. At first when you select 120hz you can notice it right away even when moving around windows as the mouse is smoother. You can notice it even at 100hz.

The Tempest came well packaged although i had to pay a customs fee of £89 ontop of the main price and postage+packing. Here is a few pics....

Overlord and Dell u2410 side by side.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

120hz
    [​IMG]

Manual settings if your having trouble hitting 120hz on auto.
    [​IMG]

There is a thread here on timings....
    http://overlordforum.com/topic/151-post-your-timings/

My monitor came with no dead pixels as ive run a pixel checker and it goes to 120hz on auto settings so i have a very good screen. When at 120hz and your viewing white webpages there is alittle coil whine which can be fixed by applying some epoxy glue over it but this invalidates your warranty. There is a guide on the official site for this Tbh the coil whine is barely noticeable and you hardly hear it.

The image quality is just as impressive as my Dell ultrasharp U2410, maybe a little crispier although that may be due to the glossiness of the Overlord.

Step by step guide for 120hz.
    Here is a video to oc the tempest.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WdXWNgW-GU8#at=129

1.Install your gpu driver.

2.Download your patcher depending on your gpu wether Nvidia or AMD.
    http://www.monitortests.com/

3.Download the monitor inf which is not really needed but you can download and install anyhow through device manager.
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/g...x270oc.inf_amd64_neutral_2174f6db6e8b91f3.zip

4.Download the Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) also.

5.Install the Gpu patcher and run it.

6.run testmode and you will see Testmode appear in the bottom right hand corner.

7.Reboot, if you fail to reboot at this point the CRU will not work.

8.Once you have rebooted click CRU and set your settings, i did all mine on auto, i went straight to 100hz then 110 and then 120hz. I normally just run at 100hz 24/7 which is a big difference to 60hz. If your monitor fails on auto then you can use the manual timings in the link above.

9. With the monitor inf install it through device manager/properties/browse/ have disk.

10.Reboot once you have done all of the above and then when your back into windows go to monitor settings or nvidia control panel and set your new refresh rate. Job done.

If you're a potential buyer and are on the fence, don't hesitate to buy. The colours are brilliant and gameplay at 100Hz+ great if you've been stuck @ 60Hz (like me). It's really the best of both worlds, visually stunning and awesome gaming. I never thtought it would make a difference but it does.
    All very nice at 2560*1440.:)

8. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for the second review ;)

So your getting on with glossy ok then?

If I bought an Overlord is there anything I need to be aware of? Lack of cables or better cables, power etc...

Can you adjust basics with the monitor like brightness, contrast.

Do you get to see the BIOS?

9. Dillinger

Dillinger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Someone over at the Overlord forums mentioned that the AG coating isn't as intense as the 3H coating found on Dell's.

10. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I was just reading that very forum and that post!

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah the glossy is great, you do not need to worry about anything as all cables come in the box. There is a more heavy duty DVI dual link cable that you can order from the same people who sell the Overlord but i didnt need too. My monitor works on all the cables supplied perfectly.

All you get is 5 buttons on the monitor....
    Power
    Brightness + -
    Volume + -

There is no OSD as that can increase the input lag.

The monitor has built in speakers also but i do not use them, it also has an adjustable stand which goes up and down.

12. mdrejhon

mdrejhon Member Guru

GPU:
    4 Flux Capacitors in SLI
    There's a much easier, new web-based tool at TestUFO for frame rate skipping checks:
    www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

For accurate "perfect-VSYNC" frame skipping checks up to 240Hz, use only Chrome (chrome://gpu enabled) or Opera 15+.
    Internet Explorer 10 can do accurate frame skipping checks up to about 105Hz. FireFox 24+ pre-beta does great frame
    skipping checks at 60Hz, but starts to degrade as you go higher. Quit all applications, disable tools that accesses disk,
    and give 100% CPU to the webbrowser. Check your webbrowser's VSYNC support.

You do not need a high speed camera; it works with a standard photographic camera set to a 1/10th second shutter speed.
    It's very easy to tell if a frame has been skipped, if you see gaps in the resulting photograph.
    Even an iPhone camera works too!

13. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Any contrast control as well? Did you have to tinker with the image quality at all?

Sorry for so many questions it's just that I don't have a great deal of money and want to make sure I purchase the right screen for me!

Would I be able to use a PS3 with this monitor? I guess I could just use a DVI to HDMI connector.

How is the gamma out of the box? I use quick gamma to adjust mine to 2.2 to help with poor colour and black level. I would rather a monitor that was correct out of the box I think because even if you use Windows calibration or quick gamma, those results saved can be ignored by games. I also use this in conjunction with the above:
    http://goebish.free.fr/cpk/

Just hope actually does make the gamma etc stick in game.

What is their policy about dead pixels etc. now? At one time it was zero dead pixels. I'm guessing that has changed. Can you pay extra to be sure?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  14. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Thanks! Was trying that 2 days ago already (The UFO test), comparing my LCD to a CRT I dug up.

Combined with that test, this is awesome! Thanks, Prophet LightBoost!

You will have to do software-based color calibration / adjustment.

These screens lack a scaler, OSD, and multiple inputs. DVI here is dual-link DVI, not single-link DVI. HDMI - DVI passive adapters are single link. The monitor might do one of two things:
    1) Display nothing - I know this happens in the case of the Qnix, at least (bet many others as well), they don't accept non-PC inputs and lower resolutions.
    2) Scale 720p using pixel doubling, this would be perfect scaling and a simple scaler could do it. I remember hearing about one monitor that could (maybe?) do it, but I'm not sure.

If you really care about gamma and color accuracy, I suggest you invest in a good colorimeter. I have one and it's worth the money. I suggest something from the X-rite / Colormunki range, they seem to be good devices for the money.

You could always get the basic package if it contains the same sensor as the more expensive packages. These tend to come with better software. However, HCFR and Argyll CMS are free color calibration software that could unlock the true potential of many colorimeters out there; getting familiar with those would save a lot of money and allow more advanced options, in general.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There is no contrast although i have tuned it to how i want it in the nvidia control panel. Gamma is fine as i see it, i dont need to adjust it.
    Go to the official site to see there policy on dead pixels, i think they allow up to 5 but i do not have any. I do not know if you can pay extra.

If you buy one and you dont like it you can always send it back cause of the DSR.

16. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thank you both for the replies. Really helpful info.

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The U2713HM arrived.

1 - The anti glare coating is not as aggressive as it used to be. It's tolerable now. It still has a crystal effect but it's not so strong that it destroys image quality anymore. It's stronger than I had hoped but doesn't make whites look like dirt like the old 3H coating used to.

2 - STUCK PIXELS. That's 3 defective monitors in a row, 2 in a row with stuck pixels.

3 - It DOES have cross hatching (crisscross pattern). Looking at the revision on the back it's A00, isn't that the very first one? What the ****. The pattern is from the left side it's bottom left to top right, and from the right it's bottom right to top left. It's not noticeable when looking at it directly, but from any angle it can be seen.

I haven't even had a full day yet so I don't know if this issue will bother me or not. I don't know if later revisions have it at all. Since it has stuck pixels (bright) I've already sent in a request for a replacement, I should call them back and ask for a later revision to be sent to see if I can avoid this problem.

4 - Despite the problems, the image is excellent due to the resolution and accurate colours. It puts the S2740L, which is also an AH-IPS, to shame.

5 - For the first time ever the motion blur irks me a little. I don't get it, I've had monitors with the same response time and it has never bothered me before. Oh well, I'll get used to it.

6 - Edit: Testing it in fighting games with combos with 2 and 1 frame timings... it's definitely a noticeable difference but it's fine. It's already such a monumental pain in the ass timing something precisely down to the frame that getting used to slightly different timings makes almost no difference.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes Rev-00 is one of the first builds, I would find out what the latest revision is. If your paying top dollar for this monitor i would want the latest build and nothing less. Im surprised you got dead pixels on a Dell but after you saying it was Rev-00 then im not so surprised.

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I just spoke to a manager at Dell and he basically said he can't really get ahold of the department that ships it out and force them to check the revisions to make sure they send me the latest one. That begs the question: WHY NOT?! But he did say he's going to have one of his "senior technicians" check the monitor being shipped to me for problems before it's sent out, which makes very little sense since if he's checking it, he can look at at the revision number on the back. I don't care what they're thinking so long as I get a good monitor.

I found this thread - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/19513925.aspx

So, they supposedly have the crosshatching issue fixed. Yet those bastards are still trying to sell off the defective ones.

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    You got yourself stuck in a loop again. You got stuck pixels with a Dell monitor. Stuck pixels can be removed with an RGB flasher tool, I'd only worry about dead pixels as you can't bring those back to life again it seems. (Most people seem to get more stuck pixels than dead pixels in monitors)

For that money that you paid on a discounted monitor, you could buy 2 Korean monitors, keep the better one and throw out the worse one.

Buy one, if there are issues, you could ship it back for another one and you still end up paying less.

The risk is small for an overclockable, lagless (except if you notice 5-7ms) IPS / PLS monitor for half the price (or less).

Look at the people here who are happy with their monitors.

EDIT: Heck, Overlord Computers is your neighbor, basically. Aren't those screened? I doubt Scribby would sell those monitors for that price premium without at least a quality assurance.

Korean monitors are perfect for you; that is, if you get a good one.

Life is chances.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013