27" pls, 29" ips or 120hz 1080p?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Deleted member 216176, Jun 9, 2013.

1. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Is it easy to overclock?

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    With these monitors it's just a case of setting custom res / refresh rates in your display driver settings, but go slow and see where you can get the monitor

3. I know that Vet at some point ran into the same lines across the screen with his Overlord when ocing to 120Hz too but since the forum backup lost the other half of my thread I can't see his usefull posts with what he did to achieve 120Hz. I've not even had the monitor up and running 24hours and im on 110hz straight away so im sure there will be other little tweaks and things to try to push more out of it as I get more time to play with it. Tonight im gunna give borderlands 2 a crank at 110hz, so far ive only tried farcry 3, battlefield 3 and CS global offensive. Tried a couple of other games and found they were 60FPS locked which sucked a bit (PES 2013 and NFS Mostwanted)

Any games out there that you guys love playing at 120hz? pretty much any FPS shooter I guess huh? what about some good racing games? i'll give grid 2 a whirl later too.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    To avoid any risks with these Korean sellers I bought the 27" glossy AH-IPS Dell sells. My second one arrived today after the first one had hyper-bleed and the panel was crooked and had dust trapped behind the glass, this one...
    1 - Dead pixels
    2 - Dust trapped behind the glass all over the place, looks like dead pixels
    3 - Giant thumb print sized blotch on right side behind the glass
    4 - Panel crooked like last one
    5 - Same hyper-bleeding

Niiiice, worst quality monitor I've ever had and it took Dell 2 weeks to send me it.

I've decided I'm going to get a refund since even if they send me a perfect one it'll probably end up with trapped dust.

I'm going to take a gamble and order a Korean panel, but which one and from which seller?

I was told to get a Crossover LED-P because apparently that mostly gets dark pixels (what?) rather than bright pixels... and it has a nice stand. But it's not the cheapest and I can't tell the difference between the two models of it the seller has:
    1 - $510 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CROSSOV...8509?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20d02c020d

2 - $490 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CROSSOV...2858?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item1c30f0d13a

Also I have no idea if it'll work with a PS3, I don't use a separate TV for that. Would I need an HDMI to Dual DVI converter? It has no scaler would that work at all? Would a regular HDMI to DVI converter work?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013

5. Oh Neo, man thats some serious bad luck there. Gutted for you :(

Im sorry I can't check your ebay links right now as im at work and ebay is blacklisted but it looks to me that its the exact same model.

One of the things I really had trouble with was finding a korean model that had the ability to work with my xbox 360. So difficult infact that I decided f*ck it, im just gunna get a dedicated pc monitor because I couldn't find one that could overclock and also work with a 360...so you may be in same ****pond man.

Question is, do you want it to be overclockable? I think the model I was looking at was the Crossover 27Q which apparently works with the xbox 360 (probably PS3 too but dont quote me on that) but has a horrible frame skipping when it comes to overclocking...if you leave it at 60Hz, it's fine.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm fine without overclocking it since I won't be able to power 1440p at 120Hz... ever. That and OCing could end up decreasing its lifespan. Not wanting OCing also would increase my options.

I heard the Qnix PLS ones can OC and they are the cheapest. But I really don't have enough info about these panels. I heard that some of them might have a doubler (what?) which can stretch 720p to 1440p despite the lack of a scaler, but I have no idea what models supposedly have that.

Though because of the fact that it has no scaler, or OSD, multiple inputs, or squat for that matter, it should result in near-zero input lag. That's what I wanted for fighting games, but some good that does me when I can't connect my PS3 to it (console exclusively games, what can I do).

As for the Dell monitor, it's a real shame, it's a really nice looking monitor despite the low resolution for a 27" (1080p). The overall appearance looks high class and once the colours are tuned it's extremely accurate and really does have better viewing angles than my old e-IPS. But that all goes out the window with trapped dust problem. I could deal with the crooked panel and bleeding but pixels being blocked by dirt is unacceptable and they're all going to have that problem.

They took 2 weeks to ship this because they claimed they're making new ones, they were out of stock. Yet the new ones seemingly had absolutely no quality checking, they just rushed to get the ready and shipped. Any quick 10 second check would have revealed that this one is defective in every way.

I forgot to mention, it even has some sort weird striping pattern to it that the first one didn't. What a bonus.

Edit: Jesus Christ, even the colours between the left and right side are different.

7. oh man there will be a few options out there for you im sure, I know the crossover 27Q was suiting my needs right up until I decided I wanted an overclocker and I've heard nothing of the Qnix being able to work with a console even with an HDMI to DL DVI adaptor so hmmm? not sure bout that.

Guys I've got an issue ever since ive had this monitor, up until I installed this monitor my video playback has been fine, but now all youtube vids, and any other kind of vids including the 720p/1080p mkvs, avis etc all are green. I've had this before but only on youtube so I right click and disable hardware acceleration and voila its fixed...and this method does fix my youtube issue but see below :

[​IMG]

this is after I've disabled hardware acceleration on youtube, this is taken from facebook where hugo drift posted a video but as you can see when I right click there is no settings, no way to turn hardware acceleration off for this embedded player. Ideally i'd like to have hardware acceleration enabled coz not only does it reduced CPU usage but is it just me or videos just simply look better when gpu acceleration is turned on?

So also my movies on my pc are green too, but I was using VLC which after a quick google search a lot of people were hissing and spitting at VLC saying its crap and to get MPC-HC so I did, same issue but I easily found a way to turn gpu acceleration off in MPC and yes, now the vids play.

What must I do to get gpu acceleration to work? I reinstalled flashplayer hoping that would work, but nope...so im guessing the issue is to do with the atipatcher I used to overclock the monitor perhaps? i'm running the latest beta release from here on the guru3d forums if that helps? version 13.150.1.0 june 21. also I have enable ulps disabled too.

any suggestions?

8. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Neo have a look at one like this

I'm guessing that with the HDMI input that would work with a PS3. As usual with these though it can have up to 5 dead pixels, or you pay extra for the pixel perfect model.

Seriously can't wait for Mr Tax Man to get my refund to me so I can order one of these. Hoping the 7970 can cope with 1440p @ more than 60hz

9. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Alone, with the heavy titles, at max (no AA)? Not much. Lowered details and most other games at max? Yes (60FPS).

10. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Do the vids play normally @ 60hz?

11. nah man still green :(

the amd drivers im running are the ones posted on the guru3d main page, think they are the windows 8.1 drivers that have been tweaked for use on win7? wonder if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2013
  12. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    Maybe give the latest beta's a try and see if it helps.

13. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Deja vu anyone?
    I will post up how i achieved 120hz and a step by step guide in how i did it when i can. (once again):)

14. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Lol I know. I'm missing out on all the words of wisdom I was gonna look back on :(

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Does it happen with CrossFire off?

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Thanks for the advice guys but I've decided to go with a serious compromise in order to guarantee a perfect condition monitor. Dell had a 1 day sale today on the U2713HM reducing it by $250 to $550, so I ordered it before the sale was up.

According to all sources it doesn't have the same insane anti glare the U2312HM (which I hated and sold) has but has a light one instead. I've seen light anti glare coatings, I don't mind them, they cause no interference or dirty/speckly look. Hopefully this will be the same

What really held me back before is the 1-2 frames input lag it will cause, but you can't have everything. I'll get $330 back for the S2740L after I refund this piece of trash so it'll end up being about $305 more (taxes included) for the upgrade. Worst case scenario Dell do give full refunds.

17. yep regardless of whether crossfire is enabled or not it plays green vids. Facebook is pretty much the only issue I really have with the green videos because as far as I can see, theres no way to adjust the embedded video player Facebook uses to not use hardware acceleration - for all other videos (youtube and my own mkvs/avis on the PC) I've been able to turn hardware acceleration off and the videos are at least playable now.

Neo, good stuff man, that's a good deal make sure to let us know how you get on :)

18. HonoredShadow

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Someone mentioned something earlier that got me thinking. They said that you could over-clock to 120hz but that does not necessary mean you are seeing 120fps/120hz.

How could you test this then? If I bought an Overlord and over-clocked it to 96/100 or 120hz how would I know that was what I was getting (and in game)?

19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    This is called "dropping frames".

Good question.

The best way to know whether a monitor is dropping frames or not is to use something like "Refresh Rate Multitool" which moves a bar across the monitor. Then, you get a high-speed video camera (let's say 1000FPS) and record a video of the monitor. You will then be able to tell if the monitor was dropping frames when you watch that video slowed down.

Without such a device, you're left to your own eyes. I guess one way to know what frame drop looks like is to use VSync and cap your FPS at 1FPS less than your refresh rate. This should cause a "frame skip" to occur (more of an *animation step skip*). I could easily notice it at 60Hz and wonder how some people VSync @60Hz then cap their FPS at 59FPS to eliminate input lag more than capping at 60FPS. Haven't tried @120Hz though.

You've also given me a very good idea for an Arduino project that involves photosensors dangling above the monitor, giving feedback on whether the bars are lighting up or not. A graph that shows what photosensors are receiving light would help determine whether there is frame-dropping or not.

Branded monitors with OSDs might accept, let's say, a 75Hz refresh rate but drop 1 frame out of 5 (for a total of 15FPS out of 75FPS, falling back to 60FPS). This should be very noticeable. Very.

It seems that, in general, these OSD-less Korean monitors do not accept refresh rates that they drop frames at. They either work, work and artifact, or give a black screen. That's generally how people were able to tell if they were able to overclock or not, they never gave it more thought than that.

I'd also say that those who are overclocking (not weighing risks vs. benefits here) are more acute than the rest, so they might easily spot when things are not as smooth as they should be.

Do note that 120Hz on these IPS monitors is not the same as 120Hz on the TN panels made for 120Hz, due to response times.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013