AMD Unleashes 5 GHz Processor

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    They least could have tested BF3 which utilises all cores. Still its not going to paint much of a prettier picture i'm afraid.

2. Skyline1010

Skyline1010 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 650Ti Boost
    There's a reason I haven't bought AMD since socket 939.

3. blitz72

blitz72 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
  4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Thats a terrible price. For that price you can get a 3970 extreme 6 core that will demolish it while using half the power.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Or I can build a complete system using a Steamroller based APU and AMD HD9K series graphics card when they're both released....which is exactly what I'll be doing.

Honestly, all the Anti-AMD BS that gets posted on this forum in every thread related to AMD, is starting to make me dislike computers. If you don't like AMD products...don't post in related threads. It's really not that hard a concept.

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    any healthy customer looks for best price-performance ratio and amd is losing it at the moment both in gpu and cpu department...that is not anti-amd bs, it's a reality's point of view.

for example you are accusing the whole forum for flaming and bashing amd products because you are an amd fan and already stating you are gonna buy amd products. That's your buying choice and it is acceptable but also our choice to criticize amd it's also far more acceptable like any other company.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I agree...but..... £719.94??

[​IMG]

:3eyes: That must be a misprint surely....

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  9. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    If people will buy them, then why not?

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Sure but who would pay that much for a CPU?.... insane insanity.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Same people that buy the $350 motherboards and then put a $300 CPU on there.

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Did you work out how to track CPU usage with W7 performance monitor?

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yes, but you wouldn't believe it. I changed a setting recently that screwed Windows up and had to restore to an old update; so all the data was deleted.... Now I have to start over again.

14. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Anyways, like I said, I don't care that they priced this at $700+ USD. It's out of the realm for normal discussion (like we do with the FX-8350 vs i7-4770k, etc) and is purely a profit and marketing move. If they sell these at $700, or even $5,000 for that matter, more the power to them. Anyone stupid enough to buy one of these without doing 5 minutes of Google research which would point them away deserves to have his money separated.

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Yep my thoughts as well...

16. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I swear, youre taking AMD criticism nowadays as hate from fanboys. If you cant take it, avoid threads like this.. Not a hard concept, considering how easily youre bothered about it.

Seriously, AMD cant afford to be playing price wars with intel. VERY few people will buy a 1000$ amd chip when they know the comparable 6core intel half the price is twice as fast, half the power, etc. They need to stick to the budget thing they have going on if they want to get out of the dirt until they can release something thats up to par with intel.. But since im such a fanboy what do i know.:3eyes:

17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'd bet half the people who will buy it know very well what it's capable (or rather not capable) of, they just buy it due to their fanaticism for AMD.

18. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Fools well parted from their money.

From AMD's point of view, there is very little reason not to release a chip like this and charge a ridiculous amount. Only two things can really happen from it:

1)- Lots and lots of free marketing due to the name AMD and "fastest processor" (in terms of GHz, not raw power) being thrown around. This alone is a great reason to release this chip for even the same amount as the FX-8350.

2)- Free money. All they are doing is taking some of the better chips off the line and just applying a small tweak (which really doesn't change their performance standings) and then overcharging like hell for it. They don't lose anything here.

Personally, I'm a bit more curious as to why they are not charging $1,100+ for this chip. That would give them more free press as the "most expensive consumer CPU ever".

19. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    They're not playing a price war with this chip, this chip is just a "hail mary" and just being thrown out there into the wild. If anyone bites, then great. The chip already achieved its purpose which was free marketing and press with the words "AMD creates the fastest x86 CPU" in the articles, anything further is just a bonus.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    for what it is, it is an awful price. the cpu seems to only come with a 1 year warranty. maybe they know it has 1 foot in the grave already running that high an oc and related voltages