The PS4 Costs $399 USD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by UZ7, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I mainly only buy consoles for JRPG's and the odd exclusive. With easily swappable hard drives, no region locks, and a cheaper price tag I'm pretty much sold on the PS4 at this point. MS can keep its weaker 'Kinect' enforced offering.

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Did they actually confirm the PS4 has a swappable drive?

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Seems like it. I'll need to confirm to be sure but I doubt that isn't the case.

Edit: http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/11/ps4-500gb-hard-drive-can-be-swapped-out-by-users/

There you go. Sounds like 2.5" support, which is fine by me. I'll probably grab a cheap 120 + gig SSD for it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  4. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Well I'm sure you already know all this, but

$1 a unit multiplied by 50 million is a considerable amount of cash. Moreover a supply demand curve gives the quantity demanded at a particular price, by decreasing the price you increase quantity sold and thus get additional benefits from dominating the market. From a marketing standpoint it's important to hit those x99.95 prices, If you can sell an extra million units of the console by keeping the costs down $10-20 bucks and selling at $399 instead of $409, then that's three to five million more games sold.

When deciding between cutting storage capacity or cutting performance or developer support to keep the price low, I think the smart move is to keep storage minimal.

Anyway, it does make sense.

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    If the if the system reserves a huge chunk of the drive like the PS3 did, 120GB will not be enough, not if you plan on having the games on the the drive anyway. I put a 500GB HDD in my PS3 right after I bought it, I ran out of space immediately. I delete things as soon as I'm done with them to clear space. If I gave a crap I would go and buy a 2TB drive just to avoid having to delete things. The mandatory installs are really annoying, especially when they make no difference.

6. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I like how the photo of the PS4 standing with its support base looks like...
    You know, sort of like another console that dominated its era.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    An evil eraser?

8. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Damn you. i meant the PS2 standing. Now i keep seeing that eraser thing.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Luckily that wont be a problem for me. I tend to only play one game at a time when on consoles, and my main focus will continue to be PC gaming anyway. I understand how it could be frustrating for some however. Depending on the average game size I might consider bumping up to 256 gigs.

10. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    The question to me now is why the hell would one buy a xbox one over the ps4? (no fanboy really)

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Exclusives, there is no other legitimate reason that I can see. Exclusives were the reason I bought a PS3, a decision I almost regret, but it served its purpose.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Good job Microstupid, for singlehandedly taking yourself out of the console market in the name of greed.

/golfclap

13. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    great, if microsoft kills xbox, maybe PC will get their support again.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Every cloud etc ;)

15. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    yup just like ps3 was taken out with that hefty 599 back in the day right? right?

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The market was a lot different back then.

Facebook was second place to MySpace ffs.

For the first time in console history ever, two competing consoles are going head to head with identical launch windows - and one of them is psychologically weaker than the other, has confusing functionality/roles/purpose (is it a games console or a multimedia hub?) and is technically inferior. The other one is $100 cheaper.

Game over man, game over.

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    ^^Bingo

His comparison is not contextual.

The Xbox One has an identity crisis, a veritable minefield of red flags (DRM, trading etc) that the PS4 does not have and then there's the price.

MS would do well to make some major changes - fast (although at this stage, it's probably too late).

18. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    This reminds me of when the PS1 came out Vs the Sega Saturn and it was roughly in the same situation that it was $100 cheaper plus it had alot of great games and there was no way that Sega could compete with that. Plus the PS1 was the superior system. I sense pretty much the same results for MS.

20. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The heck? And the Playstation 3 pushing Blu-Ray was any different as being marketed for use as a media player? The Xbox One is everything the Playstation 4 is in specs besides the lower shader count. In addition, it can act as the center media hub which is terrific.

In fact, my biggest complaints against both consoles is the lack of 802.11ac and the limited bluetooth 2.1 (instead of 4.0 with lower energy).

Feature wise, the Xbox One knocks the PS4 out of the ballpark. You get:

-Kinect2 (Kinect 1 was $150 alone)
    -Media hub functionality
    -HDMI passthrough
    -Interactive TV
    -Smartglass
    -Video chat
    -Cloud processing
    -Ability to buy a single game and have ten other Xbox's located elsewhere simultaneously allowed to play it. This one is huge.
    -etc.

I'm not seeing the appeal of the PS4, even for $100 less, over this.

Disclaimer: The only console I have personally ever owned was the PS2.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013