Dell UltraSharp U2913WM 29" Super-Widescreen LED Monitor - Any Good?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by kanej2007, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    I'm currently looking at investing in a new monitor. It will be used primarily for gaming & watching movies.

The size of the screen needs to be from 27'' to 30'' maximum. My budget is between £200-£450 ($200-$600) .

Apart from the above monitor, what else is just as good as if not better?

Preferably I'd prefer an IPS monitor due to it's richness & sharpness in colour reproduction.

Thanks for the help fellow gurus.

2. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The height of the viewing area on the Dell 29 inch you mentioned is 12 inches. Less on the 27. I think the screen will be too squeezed for gaming. One of the Dell 30 inchers would be a better choice in my opinion. One thing for sure,Dell make damn good monitors.

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    The screen is physically shorter in height than a 24" 1080p monitor... I would only buy it if I really really loved watching 21:9 movies and gaming not so much.

For gaming and general use 2560x1440 U2713HM is going to be much better. It's about 3cm less wide but 3cm taller, and IPS of course.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I have a U2312HM which uses the same anti glare coating all Ultra Sharp series monitors use, and honestly it defeats the purpose of a monitor being an IPS due to how badly it ruins the image. I've researched into having it removed and the conclusion I came to every time is that it's not worth the effort and that the monitor will eventually be destroyed by it unless you replace the entire polarizer and outer layer.

If you care about image clarity, stay away from the Ultra Sharp series.

5. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    This is incorrect. The anti glare on this monitor is different to that which is on the U2312HM. (source http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2913wm.htm)

Yes, height is not as tall as a 27 or a 30 inch it is similar height to a 23inch 1080p monitor. But 2560x1440 being better for games? Debatable - different strokes for different folks I guess. Looking at aspect ratio, what you get when using 2560x1080 (21:9) is a bigger FoV in games than what 2560x1440 (16:9) will display - even if it is a 27inch model, it is still 16:9.

As for the U2913wm, Dell uses an IPS panel from LG that several other companies are now using to make these 21:9 aspect monitors. LG, NEC, AOC, Philips. Asus are bringing one out too (assume it is the same panel source - LG). Maybe check those manufacture,s monitors out to see if they offer anything different in their 'packaging' of the panels.

6. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Bigger horizontal fov but narrower vertical fov. FPS gaming isn't everything though, a 2560x1440 monitor is nice for strategy and RPG as well