Windows 8.1 start buttons leaks, looks familiar

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2013.

1. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Key emphasis on the "I" part.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Exactly, if you can get used to it, so should Mr. LesserHellspawn.
    Again, context. How a conversation works.

3. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I as in me, not everyone else. And indeed it does, however it makes it somewhat difficult to hold a conversation with someone constantly making assumptions. Nevertheless, done with that.

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Pretty much since I use my keyboard most and only use the mouse when needed. This could likely come from my Linux command line habit lol.

deltatux

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Actually, it's not counter-intuitive at all. Press the Win-Key or move the mouse into the lower left corner and click. Pressing the Win-Key is generally faster as it doesn't require any mouse movement at all. Doesn't matter what version of Windows you're using, the Win-Key is generally faster than using the mouse to access the "start menu" or the "start screen" because it's a singular action.

6. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    i do not understand why there's so much whining going on about that start button. basically if you click in the lower left corner of the screen you open up the metro interface, which is just a fullscreen start button. what's the deal? because of stuff like this i really believed the only way to access metro was to press the windows key. i've recently installed windows 8 just to find out it's not like that at all.
    and i got used to it very fast. the only annoying things in windows 8 are those fullscreen apps for games or media and stuff. the rest is fine. do you REALLY need to SEE the start button?

7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I don't really miss the start button, already gotten used to this.

8. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I'm an old dog, so new things like no 'Start' button the Win8 really bothered me, so I'd refused to get it. Now, with this, I might just jumped on Win8, but only for my FX8350 build......my other builds are just fine so I'm leaving them alone.

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I am used to not having a start menu now. The Metro UI isn't all that bad once you understand it.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I don't understand why people are so much against choice. When you remove Linux from the picture, Windows compared to OSX has been a bastion of customization options and backwards compatibility- being able to install Windows 3, and move though the upgrade cycle all the way to the newest OS believe it or not actually works. Up until Windows 7, we users had the choice to remove the new pin to taskbar and taskbar icon grouping if we did not like it, hell we could make the OS look like Win95 IF we wanted it to.

Knowing that history, is it that surprising that there is such a backlash when Windows 8 removes the long held idea that I can, with a few clicks, turn off DWM, turn off Metro, ect?
    This is what I mean when I say MS is out of touch with people.
    There is a reason during Windows 8 opening months had a slower adoption rate than Vista , and is now slowing losing it's install base with people retreating back to 7.

TL;DR- People don't like a giant corporation deciding for you how you should use your computer.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013

11. HairyCube

HairyCube Guest

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M
    Exactly. I couldn't care less about this Metro stuff if I could simply switch it off (or better yet, have an option to exclude it during the installation). I am okay if some people find it convenient to use, even though for me it's difficult to imagine. I don't like it, and I don't want it to be forced upon me.
    The problem is, they WANT everyone to use this "innovative" but plain and ugly interface. As long as they keep forcing it, I'm not going to upgrade.

12. omnimodis78

omnimodis78 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080FTW
    I seriously don't get anyone's rationale at defending the MetroUI (on PC), and especially the keyboard shortcut scenario. Firstly, the Start Screen is a whole different process, you could even say it's a program - so in 2012 the Windows environment was streamlined to such a great extent that we now have to open a program, to then chose the program we want to get to. Yes, it's very "modern". Blah I got bored just writing this, we're beating a dead mule here. Those who like W8 are acting out of buyer's remorse, that sums it up. This new start button is a ploy to get a few thousands of people to rush out and get W8 thinking that all is fixed. And then out of those few thousands we'll have more people with buyer's remorse so they will talk it up. Sheep.

13. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Sorry to all that disagree but Metro is crap on anything other than a smallish touch screen. It's nothing short of annoying to use on a 30" desktop monitor. Have you guys even seen a full screen start menu or full screen web browser on such a monster? Its an absolute annoyance and hinders multitasking to the maximum degree

14. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Those who like W8 are those who don't care about the start menu since they barely use it anyways. Also the OS is slightly less of a resource hog then W7 (not that W7 was a problem in that aspect, but hey never hurts if it's better).

I barely use the Metro menu nor the start menu, thus I'm just happy to have a slightly snappier system. Just like deltatux, I just type in what I want and bam.

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Not everyone likes that Metro crap. I personal hate it If I wanted an interface like that I would use my damn phone People obsessed with there phones, would love it.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    When I'm not playing, I often use my left hand for drinking coffee etc, doing most stuff by using the mouse with my right hand.

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It didn't have a slower adoption rate than Vista. I can't believe people are still quoting that inaccurate trash. And it definitely isn't losing install base. Where the hell did you read that?

And no, the majority of people don't care about their OS, how it looks, how customization it is, etc. I can't think of a single person except maybe power users here on Guru3D that actually modified their OS in any way shape or form.

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    "Wanker" all you want. That article is bull**** and it's exactly what I was referring too when I said "inaccurate trash" and then you go and post it anyway. It was dismissed when it was published and yet people who clearly don't understand math keep posting it as if it's some type of ultimate weapon against Windows 8.

And no, you don't need to be a power user to do all that, it isn't complicated or difficult to figure it out. My point is no one does it. I don't know a single person out of the nearly 200+ people at my company that I support that actually customizes anything. And I'm not saying they shouldn't have those options to customize, they should for people that want it. What I'm saying is that its definitely not effecting sales of Windows 8.

The majority of people, vocal ones, are hating Windows 8 because everyone else is saying they hate it. 99% of those people haven't even tried it. Hell one person here, who I won't name, criticized the hell out of it when it first launched; then recently asked an extremely stupid question about the functionality of it's interface. A question that could have been answered by simply googling Windows 8 and looking at a screenshot of Metro. Which to me means not only was he bashing it without ever using it, but he never even seen a screenshot of the metro start page.

Does Windows 8 have numerous problems? Of course, I'll be the first to admit that I want to see things changed about it. But the outspoken backlash by people who call themselves enthusiasts either here, or on other tech forums, is nothing but a sham. It reeks of whiny bull**** and negativism.

20. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    If I could have, I would have. Buying a new laptop at the start of this year meant I was pretty much forced to go W8. All the W7 options had significantly worse specs or were overpriced or sold out. Now that I've used W8 for a few months, I actually regret buying the better specced laptop with W8 over buying a slower one with W7.