Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. killer_939

killer_939 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Lol, i would love an excuse to upgrade. Looks like my 2500k could last me another 2 years easy. :(

2. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It's amazing how hard some people are to satisfy these days.

The 4770k is over 57% more efficient in performance per watt than the previous tock, the 2700k (in CPU performance alone). It uses less than half the power of the AMD 8350 while delivering far superior performance (132w vs 283w).

How the hell is this not impressive?

And by the way, it does run cooler than IVB:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    4.2ghz at 75c isnt impressive to me, what cooler were they running?

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's not impressive for the system builder as most of us are looking for raw power for a good price. It's very impressive in the mobile arena when power consumption really matters. Most system builders, unfortunately don't think green, and even at FX-8350's power consumption, you'll only see a small increase in electricity costs so it doesn't really affect the builder's bottom line either. The only real downside is the carbon footprint is larger with AMD's platform than Intel's platform. However, when battery usage is a major concern, Intel steals the competition yet again.

EDIT: Haswell would make great HTPC CPUs since they're low power and the IGP is respectable, something HTPC builders like.

EDIT2: That's not that impressive in terms of temperature since my CPU doesn't hit anywhere near that. My CPU maxes out at 73C on IBT and Prime95 and my CPU runs at 4.5 GHz (without delid).

deltatux

5. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    It does matter.

Take N.Y. for example. At their $0.2 per kwh, an FX-8350 would cost you $88 more a year to run assuming you run it for 8 hours a day. For that amount you could have easily made up the difference in price between it and the i7-4770k in the course of a single year; the difference becomes even more drastic if you use your system for longer. If you average the three-four year upgrade periods of the people on this forum (which are higher than average), then the savings would have been $252 for four years. These are not insignificant savings.

And this is one of the reasons AMD is having a horrible time entering business oriented OEM's. Times that energy savings by hundreds to thousands of times and it's a no brainer.

In the rest of the world where energy costs are usually higher, the difference is even more drastic.

Which is why I keep saying, I hope that AMD will get their act together and have some OEM wins with Temash or they are going to really have difficult times ahead.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Almost nobody uses a processor full load for 8 hours a day. At most it's going to be a $20 yearly difference. Stop making a big deal out of something that really isn't. Also, the power and performance differences compared to Ivy chips are absolutely minimal. It's not a failure, but there's nothing special about this release.

7. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Ya, well....

Been a really long time since I owned an AMD processor, maybe its getting closer to that time again!

Opteron Sledghammer 142 @ 1.87 way back in 2003
    Q6600 @ 3.51GHz did me for ages
    X5650 @ 4GHz seems to be going to keep me Quite happy with its 6 Hyperthreaded Physical cores for some time to come :)

Though my motherboard is X58, the Gigabyte X58A-OC has USB 3 and SATAIII with the best available controller that performs Much better than many other SATAIII X58 boards.

and I only upgraded my OC'd Q6600 to get better folding@home points at that, is still a very decent chip for games running at that speed with a good GFx card.

I recently went the SSD upgrade route and Very Happy with my Vertex 4 :D
    - well worth following some guides to setup Win 7/8 Just right for it though. I also run a Ram Disk (linked RAM Disk software seems to be best performing for the price of Free with many good features, beating out some commercial versions) for pagefile (some apps Do crash without one) and internet cache which reduces a Lot of writes

AMD are Close to being a Great choice especially running @ 4.5GHz as they have a steeper benefit curve than Intel. In some favorable games AMD only lose out to the expensive i7 3930K type chips or better. With both main consoles running AMD hardware I expect to see AMD pull even further ahead of Intel in the near future.

Could be a time of change ahead. This type of interesting is Good :)

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ^^ True. I look forward to seeing what AMD does in the next 12-18 months. I'll be upgrading my PC with a SSD (it will be a big upgrade despite the SATA 300 limitation and it will be recycled into the next PC) in a few days as Haswell doesn't offer me much value. I OC'ed my 920 to 3.7GHz and I'm pleased with the results.

9. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    It IS impressive, it's just that none of us care because the cost of running a computer is already so affordable. We just want more speed :nerd: plus if they're gonna be "power friendly" and make it suck up less juice, they should've used solder so we can OC.

Hey, hey now. I've never even experienced 3.5GHz let alone 4GHz. Then again, it doesn't seem like CPUs matter that much when it comes to gaming.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I run emulators and some crazy esoteric programs that are inefficient and poorly coded as hell so they need all the CPU power they can get (from 2 threads). I need as much performance per thread as I can get. That's why I've been looking forward to a CPU upgrade even more than a GPU. I decided to ignore nVidia's offerings due to their insane prices, but I don't know if I can ignore a CPU upgrade for much longer.

Even in your case your CPU actually is a bottleneck, not a lot of things make use of 4 threads. Just because it may show 4 in use doesn't mean it's not being bottlenecked by the maximum of 1 or 2.

11. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Even going with your $20 number, that still means that over the regular upgrade lifetime, it would have been nearly the same price to get the far higher performing i7-4770k over the FX-8350.

Furthermore, what the heck is this nonsense about AMD being in the next consoles so therefore they will preform better on the desktop. These are two entirely different architectures you are talking about. One is the Jaguar architecture which four cores of it preform nearly identical to a 2006 Core 2 Duo, and the other is Vishera which has almost nothing in common with Jaguar.

To put this into perspective, the A4-5000 (highest clocked Jaguar part released) gets 1.5 on CB MT and 4509 on 7-zip MT. The i7-4770k gets 8.07 and 23,101 respectively on those tests.

12. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I have yet realized any meaningful savings by running my Ivy Bridge build compared to my old Phenom II 810 which was pretty inefficient. Fact is that most people wouldn't hit full load 24/7, most systems run either at idle or only throttle up and down in their daily workload. Only those who turn off Cool n' Quiet or EIST would see dramatic power usage when coupled with overclocks or runs their CPUs 100% 24/7.

Yes, there is power savings to be found by going IVB or Haswell, but the real difference is less than what you're quoting.

Personally, the differences are negligible, I rather worry about my AC unit and my heater instead, this is the current rates my hydro company has been billing me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Source: http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAffairs/RatesPrices/Pages/ElectricityPrices.aspx

deltatux

13. Chillin

Chillin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    You can O/C just fine with Haswell. Anand got their sample to 4.7Ghz without any exotic cooling.

14. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Oh I know it's a bottleneck. I'm just too damn cheap to buy anything, hahaha. I'm definitely waiting for maxwell for a new gpu as for cpu, I may have to bite on this. I'm not sure yet... it's a hard decision since I don't get to game all that much.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    In your case I would just wait until next year for the Haswell revision since that's when Maxwell will (supposedly) be released. The memory will likely change to DDR4 and the boards may have newer SATA.

16. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Dammit Intel, I wanted to get new stuff this summer.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Intresting read, Though it would be nice if these reviews showcased the new chip against 1st ,2nd and 3rd gen i7 same for i5 reviews all in 1 graph

And I running on cpu from 2009 @ stock speeds if it wasnt for the fact the MMO and EMulators are bottlenecking off this cpu I probably would even be thinking upgrade seeing most game designed for PC first run perfectly atlest the ones I play.

18. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I had thoughts of going with Haswell,but decided to go with x79 and the RIVE instead. Needless to say I'm glad I did. I can also look forward to IB-E.

19. signas_86

signas_86 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 SLI Watercooled
    i think i skip haswell...

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well I already mentioned this before, there can be a good perf. increase by games, looks like that 7way front end engine, better Single threaded perf. & bigger L1,2 really pays off - most of the time.

Stock 3770k vs stock 4770k

Skyrim @ 1080P ultra
    3770k 75fps
    4770k 84fps
    FX8350 ~ 55fps?

Bf3 @ 1080P Ultra
    3770k 68fps
    4770k 71fps

Crysis3 @ 1080p
    3770k 56fps
    4770k 57fps

Batman AC @ 1080p
    3770k 94fps
    4770k 97fps

BioShock infinite @ 1080p
    3770k 88fps
    4770k 90fps

I got these benches from here, here and here

even more if you're not gpu bottlenecked @ 720p

Dirt3 ~ 70fps faster
    DeusEx HR, Skyrim ~ 22fps,
    F1 2012 ~ 10fps
    MetroLL ~6fps
    Hitman Absolution ~5fps

Not to shabby imo,

but damn this limiting OC factor..:bang:
    Im at only 3.6Ghz atm lol I shouldnt complain, I would probably see up to 70% increase over this Yorkfield, but still 4.7ghz is kinda low :p