Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks for that :D How much of an overclock can I expect at stock voltage? My 920 goes upto 3.5 GHz undervolted so something equivalent would be nice.

My view is the same. I want the Z87 Deluxe by Asus and SSD's wouldn't work to their full potential on my current build anyway. i'm not sure about hex-cores though as new consoles have such weak processors and we have hyper threading.

2. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    For Gaming Hexa Core is a waste of money. If you do Heavy Video Rendering Hexa Core is what you want.

3. PhoBos82

PhoBos82 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    If Intel was trying to let AMD catch up, and AMD indeed caught up then they would have to start offering there CPUs at a more competitive price. You know that will never happen.
    A nice CPU for new builds but like many have said, no reason to upgrade unless your one of those persons that has to have the newest and greatest * cought * Titan customers *cough*

4. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    Pretty disappointing the graphics has been upped yet still well below trinity's, so much for the hype that Intel had going for it's graphics. Sandy bridge was the best and still a fantastic performer and overclocks better too this TIM Intel uses is a useless and should go back to soldering the IHS.

5. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    "When we place load on the CPU and we see the power draw rise, the system now consumes roughly 1350 Watts."

1350w? Must be some serious overclocking going on there.

6. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    This is so disappointing. I waited so long to upgrade... I dont even know if I want to now.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The main point of Haswell is power savings and IGP performance. If they were to focus on better performance, then TDP goes out the window. So it was a set of compromises, they can afford to let go of performance in favor of the other areas. Especially as this arch goes into mobile platforms/devices, where I think its main emphasis will probably be.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think it'd make more sense to get a cheap PCI-e SATA III card and USB 3.0 card. But, if you decide to do the full upgrade and if you can put good use to your current system then of course it wouldn't be throwing money away.

Anyways, I do find this to be a surprisingly poor "upgrade". Not sure why Intel felt the need to do a socket upgrade - they could've taken AMD's route with the FX series and the 800 chipset, where you CAN use it, but you might lose some features. I'm guessing Intel has some deal with certain mobo manufacturers where they're paid to make new sockets every other year whether they're necessary or not.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i agree with you, i rather spend money on a good ssd wich can offer me more performance, than to updrage the whole system, im allready on ddr3 too with my current system, and my 4ghz oc represents no bottleneck to any videocard atm (single gpu)

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Frankly I doubt Broadwell will be much of an upgrade either. Perhaps the same with Skylake (except for DDR4) but who is to say for that far into the future. Wintel is getting hammered due to ARM, their focus for consumer chips will now be on power consumption and efficiency than more performance.

11. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    Incredibly disappointing. I suppose my poor 950 will simply have to die on me before Intel convinces me to upgrade. I can't believe I have the money for an upgrade and nothing to spend it on.

12. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    As someone that was considering an upgrade later this year, I don't really see any reason for me to do so. I'd be much more tempted to find a shelf clearing sale on a 2600K or 3700K in a few more months and get it for half the price of a 4700K, and with the exact same game performance.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think I'll try playing with the voltages on mine and try to squeeze out a few more MHz first :p

14. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Looks like the only situation where the i7-4770K will be beneficial over an i7-3770K is with programs that have support for AVX2 (such as the very latest x264 for video transcoding).

15. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Good review Hilbert. I dont need to change from what i already have and at the rate of the way things are going with cpu development i wont need to change my cpu when the next architecture comes along after Haswell.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I've also heard that it will be the same as IB as far as TIM between heat spreader and CPU goes.

17. Blackops_2

Blackops_2 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Well just confirms the Chinese leaks we've all seen for the last couple of weeks. This was expected honestly. Though I was expecting to see better OCing like 5ghz become somewhat the norm. Well ill continue building my z77 rig as planned.

18. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Seems it's been a very disappointing year so far!! First, nvidia 7xx series with nothing to shout about and now Haswell with nothing extra to offer worth upgrading for. I'm still on on 1st gen i7 and 4xx series nvidia cards and thought this would be the year I would finally upgrade but looks like I'll be staying with my setup for sometime to come as there's just nothing out there that has convinced me to buy, and finding out Haswell uses the same TIM solution as IB then I'll be skipping Haswell altogether.

To prolong my boards life a bit I bought a USB 3.0 card and a SATA-III card and to be honest, it made next to f*** all difference in speed over USB 2.0/SATA-II so to me upgrading offers no magnitude of improvement over my existing setup, which is very disappointing as it's 4 years old!!

19. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    When are the Ultrabooks being released?

20. leeaids

leeaids Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    glad i went for the hexa now still sitting prity