Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel today finally releases their 4th generation Core processors. Yes we review the Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset. Not much has been a secret when it comes to this launch, but the embargo is lifted a...

Intel Core i7 4770K and Z87 chipset review

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Thanks for the in depth review Hilbert. Looks like the 3770K is still going very strong.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    gonna keep my lovely 2700K, might get another board to oc it further to 5.0ghz. not real improvement over SB or IB.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thorough review as always but is it me or is the i7-4770K a spectacularly unexciting product? I'm not sure why it was even released when it performs exactly the same as the i7-3770K. If the CPU ran cooler then that might have been something to shout about but, again, it's exactly the same as the 3770K. :3eyes:

My i7-920 is getting on for 5 years old but, right now, I think I'd be better off waiting for the next-gen consoles to come out then buying a 6-core CPU around then. I see absolutely no need to upgrade to Haswell right now although USB 3.0, PCI-E 3.0 (why do the slides on page 6 all show PCI-E 2.0?) and SATAIII would, undoubtedly, be nice things to have. In fact, those things are way more appealing than the CPU upgrade itself.

At one time, CPU upgrades used to be exciting events, promising faster performance in games, but now they seem to offer very little for gamers who already have powerful graphics cards.

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    nnot enough of an improvement to bother for me, I dont want another quad core cpu. my freaking phone has a quad core. I will save up for a 6 core or something

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You are looking at the PCH (south-bridge chipset) which have 2.0 links. The PCIe lanes for Graphics come directly from the processor and are 3.0

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Meh. Hurry up and release Haswell-E

Nice review though/

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Cracking review.

Intel I am disappoint.

The IGPU performance is great but to release a processor on a new chipset that fails to beat its predecessor in performance and has the same heat issue will see most of us leaving very much alone. As Darren says, his 920 is still going very strong indeed.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    At what Voltage does the memory run in the review?

Because i hear left and right 1.5v or you blow the controller on the CPU, others say it's bull**** and 1.65v is just fine.

I'm really lost now, cuz Memory is the final part i need for my Haswell upgrade.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've had 1.65 on the MSI and Gigabyte motherboards with the DDR3 mem at 2400 MHz, I wouldn't worry about it too much really.

11. makaveli316

makaveli316 Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970
    Last year i switched from an old Core 2 Duo E6400 to i5 3570K and the performance gain was obvious.
    I'll be good probably for the next 2 years at least.

People who will upgrade to Haswell will be in the same situation i was last year with an old dual core.
    The rest will just spend money for no reason just to be in step with the "innovation" and that's not bad either.

12. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    Still no point in upgrading then.

13. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Not unexpected, yet still disappointing.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What was the revision of the motherboard? Could you check for the USB 3 sleep bug?

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Intel has not released a new revision and the USB 3.0 sleep bug only happens with some specific storage units that Intel did not share.

I did connect multiple devices to USB 3.o to replicate that bug, yet was unable to spot it.

16. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    "Here's another subtlety you should know about, when Intel released Ivy Bridge people noticed that Ivy Bridge processors overheat quite fast once you pass 1.30 Volts on the processor, which has everything to do with the TIM / Intel Heat-spreader used."

:bang: :bang: :bang:

17. bucknuts21

bucknuts21 Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 2070 8GB
    Maybe Intel is just trying to give AMD time to catch up for some strange reason. Besides the new MB's that are really nice this reminds me of AMD release of the FX 8150. If you had a 1090T/1100T it was a waste to upgrade just for the CPU. I'm sure the 4770K will sell well because of people wanting new MB's but that's the only reason. Nice review as always.

18. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Or if you're like me and building a comp from scratch, then it might be useful to get :p

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Looks like I'm going to pass the die shrink version too. 2600K/3770K will last looooong time.

20. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ill be getting it anyways.

My SSD isbeing hold back by like 200 MB\s due to SATA 300. My videocard is PCI-E Gen 3 ready which could be a 2-3% gain in performance (not a whole lot i know, but every bit counts). Also my Case is USB 3.0 ready and i got a couple of USB 3.0 devices by now.

X58 is just getting a bit old by now, it's been almost 4 years since i bought it.

Performance might be a bit dissapointing atm, but there will be new BIOS Firmware, Chipset Drivers. I highly doubt i will be throwing away money.