AMD Catalyst 13.6 BETA (13.101.0.0 May 23)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, May 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. alientorni

alientorni Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 (bios6770) Hawk
    -AMD Wireless Display Technology provides the ability to wirelessly display local screen content onto a remote screen in real time. Compliant receiver/TV required.

nice

2. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    The driver has problem on Windows 8.

Same on Firefox... A Mozilla dev told me that the driver has random memory corruptions and this is the reason you see random artifacts on Firefox. I guess something ain't right for IE, likewise. The same problems on Firefox don't exist on Windows 7.

This driver's focus is on programs, but unfortunately nothing about browsers.

3. Dalton Sleeper

Dalton Sleeper Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 1080 8GB
    I can confirm that the HDMI drivers still are borked, stuttering is still there but not as frequent. The solution to this problem is to revert the drivers or set PP_SclkDeepSleepDisable to 1.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    The stuttering on HDMI for me is Video not Audio, I use a surround system connected to the PC for Audio

I can't work it out, if I have only HDMI enabled, video is smooth, same if I have only DVI enabled

But if I have DVI for PC and HDMI for TV at the same time, then any video I play on HDMI is jumpy and stuttery

I thought I had fixed it by setting Alternate DVI operational mode to disabled, but it raised its head again last night

The even more confusing part is, if I open CCC > Video > Quality

The HDMI video becomes smooth again for as long as I have that settings page open, if I close CCC, it starts jumping again

5. miiksu

miiksu Guest

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Annoying red dotline DP bug is not persistent anymore. That is best think in these drivers. Even it seems some games run little faster.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    AVT is short for Advanced Video Transcoder and has been part of Catalyst package for over a year, so it's not new.

As the name suggests AVT converts video files to H.264 and MPEG-2, most notably it does this with GPGPU acceleration.

However Handbrake now has limited support for OpenCL...great news for AMD owners.

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  7. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    The new one.

It took me 3 hours to figure out whats wrong with my system:

1. Media funcions of Windows 7 has to be enabled. (Windows media Player at least). These seems to be connected with the Amd media foundation and Accelerated video Transcoding.

2. I was configuring my Media player Classic, and ProgDVB (aplication for TV tuner) to "AMD video decoder". However this stuff does not work. System was using any Mpeg2 codec available but never the one i preferred...

3. I realized that Windows media player was using GPU accelerated video decoding. GPU frequency raised from 300 to 501Mhz when playing DVD. WMP usually does not allow to change its codecs... so...

4. I set both Media Player Classic and ProgDVB to use codec called "Microsoft DTV-DVD decoder". And it works. Video decoding is definitely accelerated by GPU.

After that even Opera with its Flash plugin is increasing GPU frequency to 501MHz.

Performance-wise its great, but overall power consumption is bit higher :)

Also I re-tested if the codec support multiple apps at time. No problem with that.

Codec libraries have some issues with manual registration with regsrv32, but registers provided by catalyst installer are OK, so the libraries are working as expected.

At all I am bit surprised at fact that it takes existing Microsoft codec and enhances it to be GPU accelerated...

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Oh boy...someone is quite lost....;)

You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble just by asking someone how to get dxva working....

To enable hardware acceleration in MPC-HC all you need to do is check the .mkv in source filters, enable DXVA filters and disable associated FFDshow filters.
    Then in output menu choose either EVR or EVRCP for renderer.

You do not need to touch anything in CCC, Windows Media Player, or the external filters page.

Any .264/WMV/Mp4 video files will automatically be decoded with DXVA and MPC will select the correct filters.

Just make sure your movies are mkv/.264, mp4, wmv or .mpg that support DXVA. ;)

9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If you use MPC you should just use LAV Filters.
    It's based on libavcodec and supports native DXVA2 decoding (a.k.a. GPU acceleration).
    MPC's built-in decoders also support DXVA by default, and you can check whether DXVA is working or not by simply looking at MPC's status bar; it usually shows 'Playing [DXVA]'.

@Valken
    You might want to set a different renderer than EVR with MPC to avoid black videos.
    Haali or madVR usually does the trick.

Oh the irony. :p

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah I use LAV as well sometimes....

What black videos?
    I use EVR all the time and have yet to see any black videos....Game of Thrones looks great at 1080p..

That would be pointless since both Haali and madVR are software only the guy want's HW acceleration. MadVR can use CUDA libraries Nvidai GPU's but is still basically a software renderer.

How is that ironic unless you're saying none of those file types support dxva? In which case you would be completely wrong...;)

Maybe I misunderstood you?

11. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    My movies are original DVDs, blu rays and DVB signal being used by different application.

Thats why everything you mentioned just dont work for me :)

DXVA was working fine before I even touched anything, but it was clear that video decoding was done on CPU. Only rendering was accelerated, but not decoding.

Also I am bit forced to use Cyberlink Power DVD, even when I hate it. It caused a lot of trouble on previous Windows installation, especially with LAV filters.

Edit:

I want to play DVDs and all types of media files (videos and music) in MPC, PowerDVD was bundled to my BD drive and afaik its only legal way to play Blurays on my system (and thats why am angry about it).

MPC
    I use EVR as for now its by far best renderer. Codecs for Mpeg2, Mpeg4 or H264 should be HW accelerated.

ProgDVB
    Supports various renderers, demultiplexers and codecs. Standard DVB formats are encoded with Mpeg2 or H264. Again HW decoding helps a lot when I want to watch TV and do anything else.

Opera
    Flash videos (youtube) can be accelerated with AMD GPUs. I am sure that the acceleration enabled only when I turned on Windows media player in control panel.

The goal was then not to setup codecs to work fine with single application. That is the problem...

12. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    OK maybe that's what Kinetics meant..lol

But anyway that shouldn't make any difference -MPC can play DVD's so I don't understand what you mean....can u elaborate?

13. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    Well..

Before I turned on Windows media player in windows, and reinstalled the driver, GPU frequency was at 300MHz when playing DVD or watching flash videos on YT. CPU utilization was up to 10 percent.

After some things I changed GPU frequency was on 501MHz, image quality slightly changed, CPU utilization was less than 1 percent.

So I believe that MPC was playing DVDs (quite well), but it was using SW decoding. After the changes I made its using HW decoding. and this was applied to anything which works with "Microsoft DTV-DVD codec", and to flash video.

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    But what's stopping you from playing DVD's with MPC instead of P-DVD?
    You could still use the PDVD decoders if required, they will show up in external filter search within MPC....

Btw last time I checked PDVD only used GPU assisted decoding which is a long way from real HW support. Granted it was a whole ago bit I dout much has changed.....

15. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So what changed?

Did you end up following the MPC configuration advice I gave you earlier?

16. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    In case of Blu rays - Stupid security certificates...

Pdvd is only software I have which has required "permissions" to play protected content. I know various ways how to make MPC to play Blurays, but none of them is legal (more or less, may vary by country).

And its making me angry because I know that MPC, with codec I specify will do the job much better. thats why i prefer to play all other content on MPC.

Edit:
    I tried the configuration you recommended (or very similar), months before in previous system installation. And it worked, but it had some limitations (like PDVD start to crash after some time when attempting to play Blu-rays)

This time I followed some other sources. It works, but in a different manner I expected. I expected "AMD codec" which will decode some formats directly on GPU. Instead it was attached to existing microsoft codec...

Trying to coexist with codecs from Microsoft, AMD, Cyberlink, Avermedia (TV tuner) and MPC is really problematic.

17. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    You get black videos when you have Direct3D Ex disabled or you didn't install the required Dx9c ( June 2010 ) files. On Potplayer you can control DX9 Ex off/blt/flip modes, but not on MPC-HC. You better make sure you have installed the DxWebSetup.

Well... Just saying. Worth a checking.

By the way, I really hope all the non-DXVA supported formats will go away asap, old avi ( XVIDs ).

Why the driver 13.4 has new date?

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

18. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    True, but "black video" can have different reasons. Incompatible decoder and renderer, incompatible renderer and hardware, missing video codec, but working audio codec etc.

But you reminded me one thing... As many features of windows Explorer are connected with Internet Explorer, similar approach has been done to Windows media player, and codecs in system. Disabling IE or WMP is a good thing, but according to my experience it will negatively affect all related features in system.

In case of WMP some codecs may start to work in a different manner in case if you disable/enable it.

19. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    I just disabled both, IE and WMP within "Remove Programs and Features" :p

No problems so far... I'll keep checking.

Incidentally, I don't have CCC installed either.

20. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3090 GTX
    No chance of a vista driver?

Edit:
    The reason I asked this is because after installing this driver I get a box that says:

AMD Catalyst Control Center cannot be started.
    There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD
    Catalyst control center.

I notice in my Device manager the cards say standard Vga Controller.

Says in the list the 5800 series where covered.

Edit again:
    I figured it out. Looked in the driver folder and saw no vista drivers at all. Any chance to change the notes so other vista users don't attempt to install?