How the new Windows Blue Start Button may work

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 30, 2013.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    ZD Netposted details about the new Start Button that's rumored to be part of Windows 8.1. The button will reportedly look just like the Start button that's currently part of the Charms menu in Wind...

How the new Windows Blue Start Button may work

2. shoja

shoja Guest

GPU:
    2080 GAMING X TRIO
    Microsoft knows they messed up, but they are admitting to it at a very slow pace lol. Hope it's not too late by time they come to that epiphany that we (users) have all been through since 8's launch lol

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Windows 8 isn't a bad OS (I quite like it), but hopefully Windows 8.1 will bring the changes it needs to more functional on the desktop.

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Unless is brings performance improvements over Windows 8, i'm not even bothering with the upgrade. Even if it;s free.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    The Windows 8.1 Start button sounds a bit crap in all honesty and my only concern at this point is whether third-party apps like Start8 will still work on the update. It should do if the new Start button is optional but I won't be installing it until I know for sure.

6. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    this

7. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    This is my issue as well, due to the 8.1 start button being in the same place and only acting as the current bottom corner button (just taking you to metro) its really kinda silly (and really missing the point of what the people complaining wanted), like this it is not required at all (IMO).

I'd actually say them simply adding the start button the way they are doing is hurting more than helping, a lot of people like to use things like Start8 etc and with this change they've effectively made it harder to use them - as it will be hard to code a proper start menu to go over the default start button.

Hopefully we'll get more info soon, but so far not impressed. Add to this it seems there is still no word on things the OS really does need - customising tiles (like oblytile), having metro folders (putting a number of tiles into 1 tile folder) and having folders in the metro IE (this one really annoys me a lot),

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    But I'm totally accustomed to Windows 8 now.
    Removed all the krap tiles, like weather and news, and replaced them with software which I really wish to use.
    Windows 8 runs most of my software a great deal faster than Windows 7, or even Windows XP.

9. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    I agree, now i love using Win 8.

10. Maximus7724

Maximus7724 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 PCS+ @ 1150/1500
    Sounds like a steaming pile tbh, why say they are "bringing back start button" and then pull a ****ty move like this?

11. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Not bad, start button looks ok...

12. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Whilst this may not come across as a service pack it may come across as a service pack in terms of security updates, bug fixes and performance improvements.

Basically if you choose to not update then your version of Windows 8 will surely have support killed long before that of 8.1 for example so in the end you may not have a choice.

13. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    So... all this does is basically creates a shortcut to Metro from the Desktop? That's certainly not what I want/need for my "Start" button. I have Windows 8 on my "workstation" and navigating and storing/accessing the file folders I need for work is more cumbersome than any Windows OS since the pre 3.1 days. :bang:

14. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The potential issue with current 3rd party start menus is what I've been afraid of. I don't like having to rely on 3rd party when it comes to critical OS components, since if i an update breaks the compatibility, Microsoft has no obligations to fix it

I don't get why Microsoft does this. This will just annoy those people that do like Windows 8, and still not bring any benefit over the people despising Metro

15. mmicrosysm

mmicrosysm Guest

GPU:
    Cirrus Logic GD5430 1Meg
    They do this because they can, Microsoft has no OS competitor!

16. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    I have no choice but to use win8 since I cant get any of the usb ports on this damn board to work in win 7:( But from the sound of it, it looks like ill be sticking with start8 which i actually like a lot. Metro is still useless and always will be, especially on a 30" display

17. kiya

kiya Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
    i hear it will just bring up the start screen when you click it. rofl

18. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    This is the catch, Start8 puts a button on the start menu, but in 8.1 MS will put a start button in the very same place that only takes you to metro.

Due to this we have to see what sort of system Stardock (and the rest) will come up with so the new start metro button and classic start menu (via Start8 etc) both work.

19. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I have win8 and it´s free, unless there´s something new feature i don´t like...meh why not?

20. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    pny rtx 4090
    Nothing to get excited over then. Looks like there might be chance they give the option to disable it and as long as they're not retards and block apps like start8 all will be well. Only thing I wish i could do in 8 is force tb but cant have everything i guess