Crate Entertainment's - Grim Dawn

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by FlawleZ, Jan 20, 2010.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Awesome I kickstarted it :)

2. blesner

blesner Guest

GPU:
    MSI Nvidia GTX 690
    Even though it is the Alpha, please give feedback and please give me comparisons to Diablo 3 (Graphics, physics, gameplay etc)

Thank you sirs.

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's similar in many ways (The physics on NPC and destructible items for one example.) but it's more aligned with Titan Quest since this is by some of it's former developers. :)
    (Skills, attributes, class selection and so on.)

Alpha has a little greeting pop-up as the first tutorial window explaining that it is just a alpha version and bugs are expected plus this is just 1/3rd of the content that will be in the final version.

Even so I've not found any major issues thus far so it seems quite promising, runs really well too, bodes well for the beta and then it's final release.

4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Damn you Alpha guys, I only bought Beta access.

Looks good though.

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    How much is the alpha buy in again?

7. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    from what I've seen after just looking up a few gameplay videos it looks really good. love how dark it is and I'm actually amazed by how good the graphics look! Also, the music seems fantastic. It's a shame that it's $50 for the pack that gives alpha access. Any news on when the beta is coming?

9. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Ok, the more I see from this game the better it looks. I don't mind doing 50 usd to get into alpha but have a few questions.

1. How long will the alpha run for? Until beta is out?
    2. How open is the world? I doubt it's like sacred 2. Is it more like Diablo? Separate zones (acts)? Or is it completely open?
    3. How much content is unlocked in alpha? I know it's roughly 1/3 of the game, but how many hours is that? What's the level cap?
    4. Is there various difficulty levels?

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The level cap is 25 (But the actual level cap in the game will definitively be higher.) and there's three difficulty levels but as with Titan Quest (And Diablo) you have to beat the current difficulty to unlock the next one.
    (Not beaten the alpha yet so I am unsure if that's available.)

Release seems to be planned for August if I read that right so one or two months for the alpha and then again for the beta would be my guess but I have no real idea how long these tests are planned for.

So far just like Titan Quest the game world is quite open and probably split between different maps for each chapter or act but again since I've not completed the alpha myself I am unsure, caves and such do lead to new (smaller and separate) zones.

11. quaker3

quaker3 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6850HD
    are the skill tree and skills that good as titan quest had? Any comments on that? Titan quest had a ton of usefull and flashy spells to use..

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    At first level up you choose one of three classes, then a second class at level 10 both with 50 basic levels which as that progresses (And gives basic attribute bonuses.) unlocks more advanced skills which can also be invested in (Upwards of 12 - 16 points.) ranging from passive (circle icon) to active (box icon) which can either replace the basic normal attack or you can bind them to other keys.

I didn't choose the occultist though so I don't have any actual spells. :)

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    just bought patron account, game is downloading now. It does look really good and I don't mind supporting a promising game. Can't wait, should be downloaded in 10 minutes.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ok, leveled till 9 last night and I won't say much more about the game. I will take one character to lvl 25 and then share my opinions. anyone else playing? oh, and is it under NDA? took some screenshots.

15. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

16. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I'm gonna play more now than I'm done with Metro.

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    ah wanny, me and you playing a ARPG together again. Have you played GD at all yet? what's your views?

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    thanks. yes, have an account :) what are your views of Grim Dawn Jonas?

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    So far it's very similar to Titan Quest but I liked Titan Quest quite a bit and this is developed by a few members from Iron Lore, looks like they know what they are doing with the game, so far everything seems pretty solid and it's shaping up to be a very nice entry in the action-RPG genre. :)

For being a alpha version the game is in a better state than I thought but the many years of development has likely had a big part in that, was quite a while since I placed that support pledge from their website.
    (Of course there are a few limitations and not all content is available but even so I'm quite impressed, game is very stable and performance is quite good already though I am sure there are a number of issues to work out before the beta phase and a lot of balance tweaks plus community suggestions and such.)

Hope Crate Entertain succeeds with this game. :)
    (Will be interesting to see how the game progresses from here until beta and then it's final release.)

20. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Well this is simply a better Titan Quest. Love it! Also the soundtrack is terrific!