Stylish Case Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Neo Cyrus, May 13, 2013.

1. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm looking for a full tower with some style, I like the way the NZXT Phantom looks like in pictures but it seems to lack a window on the standard model and the one with a window only has a mini/partial one.

What full tower cases have some style along with a window and space for a water cooling system (or do they all have that these days)? That and don't cost ridiculous amounts like $300+. Unless there is a real good reason for it, I'd feel stupid spending that much on a case.

Yes, I'm well aware "style" is very subjective, a case is very much personal preference but I want to know what you guys think.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  2. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Like you said style is very subjective, I like some Fractal Design cases:

Define R4 Arctic White - Window
    http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=107

Define R4 Black Pearl - Window
    http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=106

Define XL R2 Black Pearl
    http://www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&category=2&prod=111
    ...but as far as I know there is no XL R2 series version yet with side windows. But I see no problem to do some mod on it with plexiglass to get side window.

3. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    What do you need a full tower for, if I may ask?

What's your max. budget?

What's your CPU cooling?

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I like the way they look, but I'm looking for something a bit more flashy. Those are very direct no-nonsense designs.
    I prefer to have a full tower for space to work with and with this video card it's not an option, it won't fit in anything except a full tower due to its absurd cooler (Accelero Xtreme Plus). I will be upgrading the video card but I don't know when nVidia are releasing their junk or how long their cards will be.

I prefer to keep the budget under $200 if possible and I will likely use air cooling to start on the Haswell system I'm going to build but I want it to have space for water cooling in case I decide to upgrade later. The air coolers I use tend to be enormous as well so they often would come close to the door of mid towers and block any option for a door fan.

If I get a plain case I've been considering this - http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147053

It has great reviews, the price is low and the shipping is only $10 (because it appears to Newegg's own brand). The only problem is it's not flashy enough and it lacks a window. :wanker:

Edit: Actually, despite the plain look the video makes it seem pretty freakin' sweet - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eStwwZFlOoQ#!

But USB 2 ports? Why, WHY?!

Last edited: May 13, 2013

5. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Anything Thermaltake is nice & unique...

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    It turns out there is a million different sizes and styles of the Phantom. The ginormous 820 version which appears bigger than a standard full tower is currently on sale - http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77682&promoid=1079

The shipping is oddly free, just $6 for insurance. It has style, it has a window, it's large enough to beat whales to death with, but is it worth a total of $233?

7. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Like you said, style is subjective. Personally and this may just be me, but i just got the Zalman Z11+ and i absolutely love it! But its a love/hate case, build quality is amazing, so sturdy and has the side window and great airflow :D
    EDIT: just saw you wanted a full tower... point invalidated :p

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Any other suggestions for a full tower in the $200 price range?

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I placed the order. Only to later realize I am both blind and deaf, as it has 6 HDD/SSD slots... I have 7 internal HDDs/SDD.

[​IMG]

So now I have to:

A - Cancel my order on Monday quickly (I should be able to do it instantly through their website, but their website is stupid and buggy)

B - Rest the SSD on top of an HDD since it's so thin anyway

C - Come up with some sort of mod

D - Get rid of my old 500GB Caviar Blue and 2x 640GB Barracuda 7200.11s and replace them with 2x 4TB something, too bad the prices are STILL artificially bloated

If I cancel the order I'd like to order something with like 10 HDD/SSD slots but I've found nothing which has as many features as the Phantom 820 which has that, not one that looks nice anyway.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
  10. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    CM Storm Stryker. It's a thing of beauty. I own one :)

[​IMG]

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I watched a video of the CM Storm Stryker, not quite my style but thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe I should just leave the order for the Phantom 820 and use 3.5 to 5.25" converters? But that would make cabling messy. Maybe I should take the el-cheapo way out and get that Thor V2 I originally wanted... ARRRGGHHHH!!

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I'm trying to decide between the Phantom 820 and one I just ran into called the Genesis 9000, a reverse ATX case with supports for heavy video cards (which I think is important, my current one bent slightly due to the HSF weight)... but it can reverse to become a standard ATX case as well. It's very interesting.

What say you Gurus?

This:
    [​IMG]

Or this which doesn't look as impressive but has more drive slots, can reverse sides and has card supports:
    [​IMG]

Pre-tax it's $200 for the Phantom 820 (order already in), $155 for the Genesis 9000 at the same store so I'd save $45 pre-tax if I change my order. Both are sale prices.

13. automaticman

automaticman Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Vapor-X
    I was going to suggest the Storm Stryker as well. The NZXT is a pretty nice case, very clean look. The Genesis is intriguing, but the tiny blue tinted side window is a bit goofy.

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Well in about 9 hours they'll be shipping it unless I call and change my order. I really like the video card weight support the Genesis has (due to my current one bending or bending the PCIE slot and/or itself with weight)... but I still find the Phantom 820 to have more style. Worst case I guess I can use a 3.5 to 5.25 converter and use the top slots since the window won't show that part anyway.

15. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black

16. lehtv

lehtv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Well, that's just not true. There are no graphics cards or graphics card coolers that don't fit most gamer ATX cases just fine. But a full tower will be easier to work with, sure, especially with multiple graphics cards.

CM Storm Stryker (white) $170
    AZZA Hurrican 2000 (black/blue) $146 AR shipped (black/red $140 shipped)
    Any NZXT Phantom is good, pick your color
    In Win GRone (white) $110 AP (gray $140 shipped)

If you didn't have a budget: In Win D-Frame red $420
    In the ATX mid tower and super tower class:
    Corsair 600T Silver $170 AR
    XCLIO WBTK Advanced $155 (not sure about the build quality, and the cable management is bad, but externally it looks badass)
    Xigmatek Elysium $150

I'd probably go for the GRone white, it looks awesome and it's the cheapest as well. I especially like the icy window color.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  17. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I know this sounds gehtto but double sided 3M tape the SSD where ever you want it has no moving parts and is not heavy.