Taking the dive - need advice!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by s4_squalo, May 6, 2013.

1. s4_squalo

s4_squalo Member Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4870x2 2GB
    Hey all,

Finally taking the dive and buying a DSLR for myself! Used a 650D kit for a little while, spent a day with high end Canon gear on a course, which has convinced me to buy some decent gear! Need some advice from start to finish:

Use: Mainly sports: generally portrait actions photos (usually within 10m of subject). 20% of the time will be low light. Almost always outside, will be subject to rain/hail/shine.
    Camera: D7100
    Lens: Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 Di VC USD
    SD: Either Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s SDXC or Promaster 90mb/s

Questions:
    -Full frame lens on APSC body, any issues/things to note?
    -What website/cloud storage to use to backup/share photos?
    -What software for editing? Lightroom/CS?
    -Lens fliters? Do I need one? Any other accessories I might need? (afaict I won't need a tripod)
    -5D/D800 are out of my price range, but I will/have consider(ed) the D600..

Thanks in advance your help!

2. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    70-200 lens would be a better choice if sports is your main thing, and for outdoor portraits 70-200 is really good too

then get yourself like a 30-50mm fast prime for indoor use, i heard Nikkor 28mm 1.8G is very good for the price, can also look at Sigma 30mm 1.4 ART

3. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    For sports in all-weather, consider a used Canon 1D Mark III. Great weather sealing (much better than any of the lower series from any manufacturer), perfect AF system for sports, $1300-1400 ish on eBay. Low light may not be the best, but the other features will more than make up for it.

Pair it with a 70-200.

4. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    I personally recommend the sigma 35mm 1.4, It's ****ing beastmode.

5. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    haha yea, i should know, i have that lens :p

i haven't read the reviews, but i'd imagine the new 30mm ART would be nearly if not as good optically for half the price, so unless he plans to go FF anytime soon i think the new 30mm is a good choice

6. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    The 35 is still quite a bit better than the new 30, which in turn is a little bit better than the old 30.

7. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    Questions:
    -Full frame lens on APSC body, any issues/things to note?

Nothing to note, the only problem would be a non FF lens on a FF body.

-What website/cloud storage to use to backup/share photos?
    I've no idea.. the new MEGA gives 50GB of storage if you sign up, so that's pretty generous.

-What software for editing? Lightroom/CS?
    Personally I much prefer straight up CS, because Camera Raw does everything Lightroom does editing wise.
    Lightroom is better for cataloguing photos, so if you do photoshoot with more than like 50 images to sort through, go for lightroom.
    Then hit up youtube and search for workflows that fit you.

-Lens filters? Do I need one? Any other accessories I might need?
    Depends on what you're shooting. CPL is good for removing reflections, ND filters for longer exposures in bright areas and so on.

-5D/D800 are out of my price range, but I will/have consider(ed) the D600..
    Better yet, buy a used D700. a D600 costs too much for what it is, which is a FF camera for soccer moms.
    the controls on it are ****.. and if im paying that much, I want it to feel right. so between them, D700 is perfect and costs less.

8. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    i'd say collect the 2.8 lenses first, rather than spending the cash on an FF body. :)

9. sirrith

sirrith Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5850 1GB
    I much prefer my small, light f4 lenses complemented with fast primes than big, heavy, unwieldy, and still-too-slow-for-low-light f2.8 zooms.

10. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    well, speaking strictly just on zooms and telephotos, 2.8 is the fastest you can get. so while I agree that it is still slow for low light, you really don't have much of a choice here.

and of course there could be faster primes out there. but unless you're willing to haul a number of primes to cover the focal lengths you'll be working on, then it's a pain.

it's a toss up actually, and pretty much a preference of each individual photographer. fast primes are generally cheaper than fast zooms, and has better IQ in general. fast zooms on the other hand are more 'convenient' to use but generally are more expensive. :)