Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I have used this.. but have found Classic Shell to be better, Also, free.

http://www.classicshell.net/

You can change the icon to look like the Windows 7 start menu icon, I had to search around for one but found one that is identical.. if you want it, it's just a .png image file that is 17kb.. if anyone wants it i can upload it for them.

2. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    startmenu 8 also has the start buttom from windows 7

3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    ioBit has a history of stealing software.... That's enough for me to avoid anything with their name attached... I'd rather support the ClassicShell or Stardock devs...

4. LesserHellspawn

LesserHellspawn Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080ti Eagle
    I'm finally at peace with Windows 8. Vanilla 8 feels horribly split into two. Start 8 and Modern Mix, both from Stardock, correct that. Win 8 now feels whole. I can avoid the horrid start screen altogether, since I can start the modern apps from a program group in Start 8 as well. The apps themselves have the good old minimize/maximize/close buttons now and run in a resizable window on the desktop or in fullscreen like every other civilized windows application. I like the charms bar and it's functions, I left that enabled.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    What's battery life like with Windows 8? since I'm getting a new laptop with Windows 8 on it already

Also I'll probs end up getting Start8 anyway doesn't seem bad for a few quid

6. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Hmm I don't quite get why people jump on that right from the start to be honest. I find the new layout to be really nice, it also makes it much easier and faster to find what you need. I wasn't a big fan at first, thought it was horrible so maybe that's why... but people should still give it a chance I feel.

Anyway, power wise.... I think it should be relatively around how a Win 7 laptop would last.

7. Robox1

Robox1 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX670
    I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

8. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    looking at their website, its looks as though they just gone and copied Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    anyone get a message from security center saying you need to login your microsoft account? I thought I just logged in. why its asking again?

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Start8 has way more features and more stable/compatible though.

11. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    StartIsBack is my favorite.

No overhead or processes, no clean and simple as I like things :)

12. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    One of my biggest issues is the non metro icons on metro.
    It makes the whole metro interface look Half Assed.
    And the some of the screens where the metro look mixes with desktop
    Eg : network settings
    Should not need all these third party progggies to make it look good

13. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I'm pretty sure not every company wants to go through the effort of remaking a new icon SPECIFICALLY for Metro, when the standard icon that everyone is used to also works. I mean yea... they don't exactly mix well with the Metro-styled icons.... but i'd much rather look for an icon for Steam, Pidgin, Chrome, and other programs that i KNOW, rather than have to remember "Oh wait, i'm in Metro, so the icon will look like this instead".

Also... good news:

http://gizmodo.com/windows-blue-is-officially-called-windows-8-1-505582364

And i might be the only one to say this, but i SERIOUSLY hope they DON'T bring back the traditional Start menu. Not even remotely necessary in my opinion. Or if they do, they should have a way to enable/disable it. At least then those of us that are used to not having it and don't mind not having can have our way, and those who are still bitching about not having it can finally shut the h*ll up.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The start menu isn't coming back....at least MS hasn't said anything about it anyway. All MS has said is that the start button is coming back. Either way, I'm not touching Win8.1. I don't want the start menu or button.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    If the start menu comes back it just means I will stop using Classic Shell..

If it doesn't come back, I will continue using classic shell.. lol.

16. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    What if you can choose between them then? That would be a win for everyone

But as long as it's only the start button, and not the actual start menu that returns, I couldn't care less

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    If they bring back the Start Button without the Start Menu, it'd just be a fairly pointless icon on the taskbar that doesn't really do a whole lot.

But like i said... if there's a way that you can have whatever other stuff 8.1 may bring, but not change how the desktop view looks at all, as in no start button/start menu.... all the better.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Boot to Metro doesn't bother me. In fact, nothing about Windows8 bothers me enough to "upgrade" to 8.1. I have no desire at all to go backwards and imho, even adding the start button back is a step backwards.

19. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    I don't understand how you can think (if it's all made optional) that booting to desktop and adding the start button is a step backwards. You won't be negatively affected, and we who prefer the old way will turn more positive.

20. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    if anyone is interested I managed to install virtual pc 2007 in windows 8 using the following guide to test some things.

this is how you get Virtual PC 2007 SP1 working fully on Windows 8 64 bit.

Software you need to download before following these steps.

Virtual PC 2007 SP1 64 bit. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=24439)

Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone.* (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/downloads#d-express-windows-phone)

*Note: The reason you need Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone is because it has an updated emulation driver, which Virtual PC will if installed.

( I want to add a note here, that installing this will also installer hyper-v)

1) After you have downloaded both files install Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Phone first.

2) Once installed rename Virtual PC’s filename “setup.exe” to “VPCSetup.exe”.

3) Now launch “VPCSetup.exe”.

4) After you have installed it. Type “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Virtual PC” in the address bar of the File Explorer and press Enter.

5) Now rename “Virtual PC.exe” to “Virtual PC 2007.exe”.

6) Now launch “Virtual PC 2007.exe” and it should run as normal.

Note: If it BSOD’s when launching a VM you have not installed the correct software.

lol runs really slow................I was hoping I could use it sense it uses a trio video chip.

Last edited: May 18, 2013