AMD Catalyst 13.5 B2 (12.102.3.0 April 16)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Apr 24, 2013.

1. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    ask your OEM about the voltages, they make those choices...check your ASIC quality, thats usually a good indicator.

I see no posts talking about system ram timings.

Betas are betas for a reason. If you dont like them, use 13.4 WHQL.

2. erocker

erocker Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Sounds to me like your card is on its way out and/or it was never really strong to begin with. Return it, maybe you'll get a better card.

3. randalmcdaniels

randalmcdaniels Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 3072mb
    I have been thinking about RMA but i wouldn't want to be a month without my baby.. i would have to use intel hd graphics for a month while i wait for sapphire RMA :bang:. By the way when i installed 13.5beta2 drivers i got the artifacts right away and that was at stock clock/voltages.. However when i was using 13.3 beta3 and everything was working fine i was able to overclock it to 1050mhz and 1350 ram without any errors or artifacts (i could probably go higher but im scared)

4. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    lol, you must be joking right? Stock Linux drivers don't give proper OpenGL acceleration and does not support GPU throttling. You need the fglrx drivers for proper OpenGL acceleration (used for 3D programs) and thermal control through GPU throttling. Without fglrx, my XFX Radeon HD 6870 would be running at max clocks which not only draw more power but also cause my GPU to heat up when it's unnecessary for it to do so.

deltatux

5. Scout

Scout Guest

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    is there any hope to get crossfire working on assassin's creed 3 or I should just play with one card and get over it.. game is out for ages and neither side (ubisoft/amd) comes up with a solution.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I tried installing my 7870 in Ubuntu 12.10 a few weeks ago, and what a nightmare, eventually managed it after destroying the OS with what should have been a normal driver install, which landed me on a completely empty desktop with nothing except the wallpaper to look at

The only way to get it working was using a load of terminal commands prior to installing some Beta driver which finally gave me HWA, but a nice watermark in the corner of the screen which I had to manually remove too

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I can confirm this... you'd figure the fglrx from Ubuntu's own repositories would be safe, but was very surprised to see them break Unity :/

Best to have a Desktop Environment that can fallback to software/no acceleration when messing with drivers. I use Xubuntu with Xfce currently.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea after all the problems I read about enabling lightdm or something when that happens but I had already wiped and started over by then, shame to have drivers for something as common as an AMD GPU completely ruin the experience

Luckily my laptop likes Ubuntu and vice versa so I just left it on there instead

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    It's not that hard to install fglrx on Ubuntu 12.10:

Code:
    sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13.3-beta3-linux-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg Ubuntu/quantal
    sudo dpkg -i fglrx-*.deb fglrx_*.deb

That's all you need really. To ensure you don't get compiler errors, be sure to have the build-essential package installed.

For some reason, AMD thought it's an amazing idea to keep the "Testing Use Only" logo on Linux beta drivers. I can't see why they don't remove it like they do on Windows beta drivers...

fglrx in the Ubuntu repository like many Ubuntu packages are outdated. Even LibreOffice is often outdated, same with Apache and lighttpd. I find many packages on Ubuntu outdate rather fast, I've contemplated moving off Ubuntu during the summer.

deltatux

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  10. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

What's all those other packages like libgcc, gcc, dkms, and etc. that I hear need installed as well then? Specifically (on 12.10):

(and for x86_64 architectures)
    It gets the point across way better that beta drivers... are for testing only when you have a watermark displayed at all times reminding you of such :p

They should throw it on the Windows drivers too imo (see far too many people hopping on beta drivers and then complaining of issues that shouldn't exist... lol), but of course make some kind of method for removing it too (like on linux). Just don't make it too easy to remove, or make it able to be bypassed from being shown at first.

fglrx in the Ubuntu repository is the latest version that was shipped with that version of Ubuntu. It will remain at this version too, until the next version of Ubuntu is shipped.

fglrx-updates is the package you want if you want more up-to-date packages. Then if you want "even more" up-to-date but possibly unstable drivers, there's xorg-edgers.

If you want the latest drivers, without making other components unstable (xorg-edgers updates a lot more than just GPU drivers), then you can just use AMD's installer script.

11. LechLaffer

LechLaffer Guest

GPU:
    6755g2
    Black screen when switching to performance card.
    Hardware information doesn't show it

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

I installed them the way I was supposed to but it killed unity dead

I ended up having to use this guide along with others iirc
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450&page=51&p=12324761#post12324761

13. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    i did it too...but noticed that my max fps increased but minimum fps dropped (eg. Batman AC benchmark), so i didn't oc anymore...strange but true. I will try that with the new drivers in summer...

14. jomama22

jomama22 Member

GPU:
    3x 7970 Lightning
    anyone getting a hardlock with tomb raider at the opening sequence (when all the developers/publisher names are on the screen, before the main menu) with these? Was running 13.3 before these with no problems

15. CoMa666

CoMa666 Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3090 Fe
    This driver installed without ccc it's my best drivers so far, i selled my gtx 680 4gb and now i have hd7970 and it's like 10x better.
    All games runs perfect

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 Xt
    For some reason I cant play chronicles of Riddick assault on dark Athena in 1080p with these drivers it keeps reverting back to 1280x800. Does anyone have this game that can confirm the same issue? Thanks

17. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    hello guys I need to replicate one bug....

Steps to replicate:

1. Set your HD 7970 gpu to: 1095Mhz At 1,17v VDD, memory stock.
    2. Start Skyrim.
    3. go to Dragonsreach and approach Irileth as close as possible. Watch her face - it should start to flicker.
    4. Cast oakenflesh and hold casting.. While casting the flickers should become invisible.

Please confirm this behavior on these settings.

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  18. defcoms

defcoms Guest

GPU:
    MSI-7970ghz Bios Trifire
    Overclocking and getting artifacts isn't a bug.

19. Offler2

Offler2 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD 7970OC, 3gb
    But getting too low VIN6 voltage, in the specified situation certainly is...

When i started video player which was decoding via GPU, and let it run on the background, VIN6 voltage increased from 1,6 to 1,7v and artifacts were gone.

GPU is perfectly stable when running OCCT or other torture tests, but on utilization lower than 20 percent it may flicker...

with the additional load/VIN6 voltage from video decoding i was able to have stable OC on 1125Mhz.

20. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    i just wanted tho oc mine but for some problems apear airtefacts,reboots,black screem,bsod,etc.And all of your windows 7 index score remain? the same couse mine came from 7.8 tho 7.7,7.6 im starting tho guet a bit afraid.sorry for my bad english