£1100 Gaming Build

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Poulter, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Awesome, that PSU sounds great, the thing is from what i can see, the 840 pro from basic is a 30 quid jump, which is an aweful lot when its only 70ish to begin with, near 50% more expensive.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/giga...ii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-a
    says it supports 2400(OC) RAM, does this mean if i get 1600MHz ram i can just overclock it, or am i reading that wrong?

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

You can overclock the RAM, but it depends on what the RAM can support. What that 2400 overclock means is that you can use DDR3-2400 modules (or overclock RAM to 2400 that can do that).

3. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Ah ok, so does that mean the motherboard will accept up to that limit, IE 1866 etc? or only 2400? i've got the 2x4gb vengance 1600mhz and someone suggested the samsung green i think it was? I don't really know what to go for, i had just heard that the vengance memory was good :D the best possible for under £55 :D

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It will accept any DDR3 memory (that is, 1333, 1600, 1866, 2133, 2200, and 2400). Ivy benefits from RAM up to 2133, after which the benefits are minimal. If you can get RAM that clocks to 2133, then that would be great!

5. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Would the Vengance 1600mhz be able to clock to that? :p
    EDIT:
    https://www.aria.co.uk/SuperSpecial...d+State+Drive+++1+FREE+GAME!+?productId=55307
    This SSD looks better? 5 year warranty looks nice to me :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  6. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hey Poulter, something you should see. http://teksyndicate.com/forum/overclocking/h60-or-xigmatek-dark-knight/137182

Once you've read through that. Take a look at this review (and where he compares it to other coolers, air and water alike).

http://teksyndicate.com/reviews/2013/02/04/xigmatek-dark-knight-night-hawk-edition-review

And about the memory, 1600MHz will serve you fine and you'll be able to clock it just as well. The performance increase in gaming will not be noticeable, and otherwise, the difference ain't that big. You could get these if you wanted to though, https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Com...annel+Kit+[CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9]+?productId=50688 only I have blue ones. :D

The OCZ Vertex 4 at £100 https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Sto...(SATA-III)+Solid+State+Drive+?productId=49267 Maximum Read: 560MB/sec, Maximum Write: 430MB/sec. Damn it's uber fast o,O

Vertex 3 is one of the top of the line SSDs, so is the Vertex 4. I think this'll be the best choice.

7. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Just watched the review, and then watched the review on the h60, it doesn't seem to come with the screws to make it an exhaust fan? Only really wanted it if i could make it an exhaust, don't want to have an intake on the back of my case :( But i really really don't want to apply the thermal paste, i just know i'll screw it up...
    Yep that SSD looks great :D

8. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Aww i was really looking forward to having my closed loop water cpu cooler :( Guess i'll have to go for that air one after all... or is there any way of making the h60 an exhaust fan/which screws would i need?

9. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cors...ga-115x-1366-and-2011-and-am2-am3-fm1-and-fm2
    Going to go for this one instead, its a bit more expensive, but the reviews are amazing, and its still the water option that i wanted, Yes it may still not be as good as the one you suggested, but i really really want a closed loop one :D Just something i've got my heart set on, turns out you can do it as an exhaust, and it makes little to no difference
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/11/30/corsair-h80i-review/3

10. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Now I hav the build finalised, will post here later today for the last once over, then when the cards get in stock tomorrow ill be ordering :D

11. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I really don't get this desire for an expensive closed loop, especially when you don't intend to aim for much of an OC. As far as I'm concerned, it's high end air or custom loop. Otherwise go for a cheapy like the Evo 212 / True Spirit 120.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Dude, if you don't have anything useful to say then keep out with your posts.

And yeah.. Darkest is kinda right, but what can you do, sometimes a desire is more effective than rational thinking. :D Hell even I'd want to get one of these, they look sexy lol, especially in the system when installed.

If you have the money then sure go for it Poult :) But 73 pounds is kinda a lot to spend if you don't plan on OCing that much, but nevermind.. I do understand your concern. :D

It says the H80i get's really loud at full speed or.. load, would you really want that? (I hate loud fans myself).

I'll get the Dark Knight II or Aegir myself.. still haven't made up my mind.. although people are saying that the Aegir is better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  13. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Haha I'm glad you understand :D it looks amazing and still does the job, there is nothing else I could spend the money on really, has a great warranty etc.
    as far as the loud fans go, I could just run it on quiet tbh, like you said wont be a massive overclock so heat shouldn't be a problem? Also means I don't have to do any thermal paste, and it looks amazing :D would the h60 be enough or safer with the h80i?

14. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Hmm I'm not sure.. I'm pretty sure the H60 will be enough, but if you're already going for it then H80i I guess? Question is, how much better is the H80i?

15. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Very good question indeed :D
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2012/11/30/corsair-h80i-review/2
    Is one of the reviews i read, they do the test i really want on mine, having it used as an exhaust fan... what i realised is.. I can have the 1 120mm intake fan on the front, 2x80mm intake fans on the side and then i'll end up with 3x120mm exhaust fans, 2 top 1(h80i) back, unless i use the current exhaust fan as another front intake fan and just have 2 exhausts, watcha think?

16. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Well just as long as you have enough intake on front and enough exhaust on the back, it won't really matter. :D 2 exhausts should be fine though, if they're good enough.

You could test and setup, switch from back to front and see how it fares. I doubt there'll be any difference, maybe 1-2C at best.

17. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    My thoughts exactly, i did some more digging, and from what the vast majority of people say is that doing it as an exhaust 2 fans is better, due to the fact that its better to have the cpu 1/2 degrees hotter, but the entire case cooler, don't want to be putting hot hair onto the gpu etc :D
    I can't wait to order this! My final cost of the build is about 1170, but partner is getting the case and maybe the RAM, bringing it under 1100 for me :D

18. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Alright, nice, cool. :D Will be waiting on pics and stuff, if that can be provided. :D

Anyways, just as a last quick check, could you post up the last build?

19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Sounds like you've a great partner! You hear from so many on here about them being afraid to buy things due to their other half. It's nice to know there are some that take a vested interest! I, like Deathchild would like to see a final build. After all, we all intend to be around to help you build the final product and OC to boot.

20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah man. :D

We're the Guru3d Strike Team who helps out the people in need.