sub £200 Monitor

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Poulter, Apr 19, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Hi,
    As instructed i'm creating a seperate thread to find out what the best sub £200 monitor i can get :)
    Going to be using it for gaming, but never used a 120hz monitor, so even if i can't afford one, i won't miss it :p
    I was thinking of the Dell Ultrasharp U2412m, but have also been told that there are some good Asus monitors out there. Any suggestions on which one to go for.
    Games it will be used on are LoL/EvE and Darkfall :D
    Thanks for any help you can give

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    As I mentioned in the other thread, you should be able to get a BenQ XL2411T. Probably the best 120hz monitor in that price range, although I'm not 100% sure on it. That and you may end up wanting an entry level IPS panel. Good luck with the search!

3. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Ty so much for all your help :D Now to find the perfect monitor, cmon peeps aspire to be this helpful! ;)

4. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I have a Dell S2740L monitor for sale. Its a 27" IPS monitor. It's 3 months old, 3 year on site warranty with Dell. It retails for about £280. I'm looking to get about 185 for it. Cost includes delivery. If your interested let me know. Its in perfect condition.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Good deal to be honest^ Worth over-looking any anti-glare issues it might have even.

6. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Sorry 27" is too big for what i'm looking for now, 24" was going to be the max my graphics card will be able to run properly :(

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You seem to be confusing monitor size with resolution. While that's a 27" monitor it's 1080p, so you'll have the horse-power you need to run games.

8. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yes darkest is correct, it is a 1080p monitor. You will be able to run it fine.

9. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    i recently purchased BenQ XL2411T..have to say it's awesome.

10. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    My partner has a 24" screen and its hard enough to get used to that, let alone a 27" one :p oh it runs at more than 19xx by 1200 i thought? Just thought that was the sweet spot for the 660ti and the like
    EDIT: I get very easily confused! :p

11. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Cheapest i can see is about £230, i really can't go over 200 :(

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The physical size of a monitor isn't directly related to its internal resolution. You could have a 40" monitor/tv that can only do 720p for example. Or a 10" screen doing 1440p. The monitor Harkinsteven is selling is a 1080p monitor, so even though it's 27" that's the max resolution it supports. If you've any concerns about buying from someone on the forum, he's a trusted seller (I believe) with a good reputation on the forum. I'm sure he could set up a method of sale to your liking if you're interested.

If you decide to opt for the BenQ, take my advice: Drop down to a cheaper cooler to make that £30 up for a better monitor. It's well worth it, you'll keep your monitor longer than almost any other part of a PC. The True Spirit 120 is fairly quiet and cools extremely well, not that differently to the H60. The AIO H60 is a decent cooler, don't get me wrong - but it's simply not necessary.

13. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    No no I wouldn't mind buying from a forum seller at all, tis just 27" is a bit too big, i'm moving from a 15" laptop , played a bit on a 24" but i really couldn't deal with much bigger, it just gets too big :p

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You'd get used as long as you've the right setup (desk/chair etc). Trust me, it's a transition phase everyone goes through. It really is a good offer, although if you really aren't comfortable with it that's fine - perfectly understandable.

15. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    I'll have a think about it i guess, see if anyone else comes up with any ideas, would be looking to transition bf3 from ps3 to pc, but i don't think my comp could handle anywhere near 70fps let alone 120 :p

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If your goal is good FPS in Battlefield 3 (it's the most intensive game you've mentioned so far) and want improvements from the PS3, the rig you're considering is more than capable. You might need to lower a setting or two, but you'll definitely see a huge improvement from the console.

While your rig might not handle 120 constant in BF3, it will in the other games you've mentioned with ease. If you ever upgrade to SLI as you've intoned an interest in, you'll be able to hit that mark I'd imagine. PC Gaming is a fast moving market compared to the comparatively stagnant console scene. If possible buying components that will last is a good idea, and rather difficult due to the aforementioned nature of PC gaming. Getting a good Monitor from the get go is a fantastic idea for that very reason, it's a component you'll keep for a long period - so when buying go for the best you can, even if it doesn't outright offer features you think you'll use.

17. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
    Ok you may have convinced me, another silly question, a 120hz monitor won't look bad at 60 fps right?

18. Poulter

Poulter Guest

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-x
  19. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    From what I understand, most current Dell monitors have that horrible anti-glare coating. I'm not totally sure about this, but there was a recent thread on the forum dedicated to it - and there's a lot of information on other hardware sites should you google. As I said, I'm not 100% with monitors so it's worth checking to be sure.

20. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    This monitor has a glass screen, while it does have some glare issues, its not so bad if there are no lights behind you. The glass screen offers fantastic image quality. Trust me when you see the difference in IPS vs TN you wont want to go back. Final offer £180! I need to get rid of this thing haha. Its a great deal. Your getting onsite warranty. They replace it next business day if there are any issues.