The truth about PRE-RENDERING 0?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Tastic, Jul 16, 2012.

1. boom12a1

boom12a1 Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3060XC 12 GB
    I used to have it set at 0, since it was taken out it is now set at 1. I don't remember seeing any difference without it.

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    @Prophet
    You buy a nvidia card and use drivers on the nvidia card made by nvidia for their cards.
    But you obviously know more than them about the cards they make and the drivers that run them.

No one is saying that people can not detect minuscule amount of delay, what we are saying is the delay you thought setting pre-rendering to 0 was getting rid of, was never gotten rid of.

If you are not willing to learn from those who know more than you then you are going nowhere fast.

3. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Thanks for sharing your insight as to how my life is going I really appreciate it and your opnionion clearly matters to me. I suppose you believe what nvidia is saying even though they have a history of being less than honest. 1 frame (difference between 0 and 1) is about 10 ms its pretty easy to notice. Also when what I base my opinion is between what someoen else is saying and what I can measure, what I can measure always wins.

Also theres logic involved. Its a difference of 1 frame. Are you saying that somehow magically there is a difference between 1 and 2 frames but not 0 and 1.

Those two compromise what some would call 'thinking for yourself'. Please try it, its a little more work but totally worth it.

Ps. http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4577547&postcount=12

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You are an easily offended person aren't you. I have no idea where you are coming from with that first sentence. I know nothing about you, and I made no comment on your life (thus the confusion). Relax buddy.

I'm annoyed by when people say these types of things are opinions. For a lot of things, there is no opinion, only fact. Just like the laws of physics, technology by it's very nature is a fact oriented subject. Either it is or is not. And if it is not, - then it's repeatable.

Let's be honest for a second. You get off on yourself. Your post stink of egotistical behavior.

5. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    That sure is a lot of opionions for someone claiming to talk about facts. Sorry mate, but when I take advice its usually from people smarter than me.

And lets be really honest. When someone starts to talk about 'ego' I guess they have to have a huge ego.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    MotherSoraka likes this.
  6. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It's not BS. 0 did exist, and it had a clear effect (which I've already demonstrated with benchmarks). That is, until NVIDIA removed it.

0 didn't mean that CPU didn't pre-render frames, rather it forced the graphics system to work in an even more serial fashion (rather than parallel), which is why FPS often suffered so much.

7. Iruwen

Iruwen Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW
    Pretty much sounds like you just made that up. I'm still looking for a proper explanation of what a setting of 0 should do.

8. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    I suppose it would, even the folks at NVIDIA seemed confused by it.

Imagine the driver blocking until the GPU actually finished rendering/displaying the current frame, that's what 0 did (or at least very similar). That is what I meant by serial. The more pre-rendered frames you add, the more parallel processing becomes, and the more performance improves (granted the law of diminishing returns).

But I suppose I just made all of that up too. :stewpid: :banana:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  9. rewt

rewt Guest

GPU:
    Yes
    It seems like our friend Timothy Lottes (FXAA developer) understands it quite well.

The above statement in bold demonstrates the behavior of pre-rendered frames 0 that I've been trying to point out all along (you can even go back and check out the benchmarks I posted several pages back). NVIDIA reps (nice as they are) couldn't even explain the results, they simply used the excuse of "driver optimizations", which is just flat out wrong sorry (I already explained that the difference between 1 and 0 can be detected using the same driver version).

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  10. Wish I can meet Timothy Lottes in order to fix my NVIDIA drivers lag, the only way to no have lag, seems to unistall the (NVIDIA) 100%... z.z

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    dont forget to set it to 2 globally.

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    4 year old nerco?

13. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I set 1 globally...If a title has stutters or artifacts with that I'll stick to 2!

Anyway it's to mention that SLI user must use 2 or 3; 1 will surely stutter.

14. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    Hey, so we are celebrating Diablo 20th year anniversary here in guru 3d with necromancy?

15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It's been years. Whatever "pre-rendered frames 0" did in the past, or whatever people *think* it did, I'd say it's a safe bet by now that nvidia won't bring it back.

So may this RIP now?

16. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    Sigghhhh... realized I almost replied to a 4 year old post.

17. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    why would I sacrifice framerate in every game regardless of input latency?

setting almost anything globally is really bad advice and we've had a ton of examples of that in the gpu driver threads. like last year, when people that were forcing MFAA globally triggered a driver level bug and wasted weeks troubleshooting it.

18. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I've yet to come across a single game that runs faster with a value higher than 1.

19. yobooh

yobooh Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    In general especially with Vsync enabled lower pre-rendered frames than 3 feels faster.1 could cause some problems, but 2 has no problem at all so it's better than three globally.
    It's an important setting otherwise Nvidia wouldn't have added a separate value for VR.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  20. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    off the top of my head, 2 games I played recentish where I noticed it without even needing to do a benchmark comparison are darksiders 2 and mafia 3.

my point is, it's a useful option, but it's not something I would just set and forget. each game is different.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017