Crytek: Graphics Are 60% Of The Game

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 15, 2013.

1. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no, but it needs gameplay before it needs graphics. right there is where Crytek are wrong. Graphics should NEVER be the most important thing.

2. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Not all games need engaging stories to be fun. SMB was "Save the princess, the giant turtle took her." Doom was, "Demons are taking over Mars because of a bad experiment, kill them all." Tetris was, "Arrange the pieces so you don't lose." And that goes for every genre.

That said, Crytek games take it in the opposite direction. They like to claim having an engaging story but it is just over the top and falls flat with lackluster gameplay to back it up. Their games are pretty, no sane person would argue otherwise. But, as they say, "All flash and no substance."

3. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I think graphics play a huge part in how immersive a game is and in that sense he is right but 60% is a bit off I think once we reach the point technically where games look so real you can't tell the difference between real life then gameplay will be way more important but these guys are pushing graphics for a reason and i'm glad they are out there, if they didn't think this way graphics today would never have evolved as far as they have, regardless tho graphics are one aspect of making a great game and thankfully there are other companies out there that focus more on other aspects, I just look forward to the day when we have all the pieces of the puzzle then we'll see some true masterpieces but until then i'll keep buying the crysis games to slaver over the eyecandy. :)

4. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    60% Hmmm, does that mean 40% is Console Port :banana:

5. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    lol, that was pretty good.

6. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    I like upgrading my PC more then actually playing games so I have to agree with him, my kids play Minecraft that game sucks to look at so I would never play it. They are 9 and 11 so they like what other kids play. I played the original Crysis more then I can count and Crysis 2 was aweful both gameplay and graphic.....till the graphic's update now I will play it.

7. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    C'mon man, you're slacking off there. Quad Titan Sli, I wanna see it in yer sig, do it!

:confused:

ps.

Send me some of your money plz.

8. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    Anyone remember the original FEAR?

The shadows and lights create very immerse atmosphere in that game.
    The graphic for that game was quite advance in that time, and without that graphic fear would be a completely different game

9. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    HA I would never buy something so over priced, I used to buy only nvidia but they over price so much I just stick with AMD now. AMD is a bit more trouble but nothing I cant handle for the price. Got this beauty http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
    coming in tomorrow, cant wait to play with it.

10. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Well, I want to say he's more pointing out that everything in any game, the environment, IS visual and does have to be modeled. That I can agree with. There's nothing wrong with making it look nice as long as you're not confusing it with "making it look like the real thing" or making a benchmark, and Crytek can border on both of those. There's other good parts about the CryEngine other than graphics though.

Agreed.

Well, a lot of that was hardware limitations, but still. FF9 felt alive, you actually wanted to explore the world. The environments can look amazing, but if there's not enough ways to interact with them, then it really is just eye candy. That was my problem with Bioshock Infinite.

11. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    FEAR had good graphics and was a benchmark game for a long time, but the AI was excellent and the gunfights were some of the best to this day.

12. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    FEAR was more than just a graphic games. It got a creepy vibe as well as 'interesting gameplay' for its time, then the mechanic is overused in modern day game.

The AI was also good if not best for the genre. Even some modern day FPS still lacking in AI department compare to FEAR.

13. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Oh man FEAR was brilliant, made me piss when you shot an enemy then came out of slomo and their screaming got faster, makes me want to install it now :)

14. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Regardless of "nostalgia", no one here can tell me games like Mega Man, Castlevania, Final Fantasy and Super Mario World didn't have gameplay, fun factor and story that made the experience. It definitely wasn't about graphics, thats for sure. I can bust out Megaman 2 today and have just as much fun playing it, where as I can put in Unreal Tournament 3 from Epic and be bored in 10 minutes. Hey, but the graphics and physx are nice! I think UT2004 and UT3 are two good examples of how better graphics don't make a game even remotely better. People still play UT2004 today because it was great. UT3 died early and remains dead because fancy graphics couldn't save it. Granted, graphics can add to the overall experience - but the other elements have to be there, and more importantly so imo.

Some douche bag earlier in this thread made some comment about how this sounds like a bunch of old people complaining and stuck in the past. That comment = ignorant fool. You sound like an uneducated, brainless goon. Give your money away on crap games because the DX11 effects make you swoon. You're brainwashed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  15. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    The only reason I really liked Far Cry was the large fighting environment that hadn't really been done before that (Project IGI and Delta Force were not in the same league). Other than the first FarCry, Crytek has been just a bunch of good graphic strike outs, and on top of that, unlike the Unreal engine, hardly any companies use the Cryengines to make games. Sniper? Is that it? Someone posted about a STALKER type game/mod that someone was making, but that was quite a long time ago and is probably dead by now.

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    And I totally agree. FF7 is my favorite to this day.

The Graphics Engine in FF10 was great for it's gameplay. It wasn't meant to be a world map type JRPG.

SE went for a whole different direction in FFX.

You have to understand, SE didn't want the traditional world map in 10, so they were able to spruce up the graphics to fit their gameplay.

17. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    The Problem is Crytek does not mold their gameplay to fit their Graphics engine. They treat their gameplay like filler instead of actually using their engine to it's fullest.

They can keep the crazy good graphics, and develop better gameplay I am certain.

Bleh sorry for Double Post.

18. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    It wasn't Square Enix then. It was only Squaresoft.

19. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yes I know they were only Square back then, but most see them as SE now. They have re-released FF7 many times on PSN and for PC under the SE name.

I used SE because it's most recognizable.

They acquired Enix developers of the Star Ocean series etc later on in the PS2 years.

Enough about the battle of wits/knowledge. This is about Crytek. :) having a great engine and not taking advantage of it.

No need for the politically correct.

20. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Well brand name is 40% of the game! The rest is graphics. lol :rolleyes: